Author Topic: What shanty is for me??  (Read 1357 times)

Offline tca126

• IceShanty Rookie
What shanty is for me??
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:44 AM »
I am looking to purchase a shanty after this ice fishing season. I plan to fish some tourneys next season. Currently I just use a jet sled with a bucket, hand auger, and some other small equipment. I’d like the shanty to be reasonably priced, be able to fit two men, and quality that will last for a while. If possible I’d like it to be lighter in weight to help with the drag. I primarily fish small to medium sized lakes.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: What shanty is for me??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Should add your location to your profile ...could be a deal near you ...also price range....how will you be towing it ...by hand ?ATV?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tca126

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I’m in southwest PA just northwest of Pittsburgh, PA. I will pulling by hand.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I thought a hub shanty would be ideal for me, but now I am on the hunt for a good flip over.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:22 AM »
So weight could be a concern besides that I would recommend hyfax additions ...to protect sled bottom ..great for areas with limited snow...non insulated would be fine ....suggest removable seats ...and no hardware/cross braces to support the seats ...bars running length wise down the shelter tub cuts down on storage space/configuration. Otters are heavy by design....Shappel makes some nice and light shelters...but shipping usually kills the deals you will find..think ship to store ...keep checking Walmart or any other big sporting goods store in your area for deals .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:31 AM »
shappell fx200I would be worth looking at.
it's 76 pounds.

the non insulated version is 72 pounds. so it's only 4 pounds more for the insulated version.

there are several reviews and discussions of it here. i use the fx100's and currently using the fx100I.
are you sure you want a two man and not two one man flips? best price on one man i found is dunhams.

with their hyfax installed they pull much easier in slush and are much quieter and make the tub last longer and are reversible to get twice the longevity from them.

they use a sliding padded bench seat to keep weight down and you can add a light weight bleacher seat if you want a back rest.

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Smitty sled makes pulling MUCH easier on snow.
Weight reduction by eliminating included seats and as already mentioned, the hardware that comes with the seats .  Consider light weight folding chairs separate from sled.
Save $ getting model with least high end seats, since you will be eliminating them.
Frabill 2000 series as a start.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Insulated is worth the extra$$$ my next will be.
I have an older clam genz fish trap 2 seater flip Over.
Must be 10 years old still works great.
For a hub I have a frabil outpost. Light easy to set up.
My next one will probably be an otter, I like those.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:51 AM »
I agree with the insulated next time I purchase but I live in your area and have a Eskimo Fatfish 949 not insulated and have had no issues regarding anything with it.  2 people comfortably with gear 3 people for sure you can go for it.  When it is just me I have tons of room!  Easy set up and take down.  Mine is able to placed in a back with back pack straps.  Easy carry only 30 pounds.  Would recommend I got mine for $200 shipped 2 years ago.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I use a Shappell FX100 that works really well for me.  I added Reflectix insulation to the ceiling/back wall, changed out the tow rope to a 20 footer, strapped a stadium seat to the existing bench, added (2) rod holders, built a couple of shelf units to hold my bait pucks, beverage, and other odds and ends, put LED strip lighting on the top support bar powered by a small battery box, and slapped a couple Team Ice Shanty stickers to the tub.  I'm setup to run (2) flasher units, heater, (2) rods, hang up my coat, and I keep my minnow bucket behind me in the tub if I take it.  I can get set up pretty quick and moving to a new spot is an easy process.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Agree with 3300,,, Have a fx200 and it has a big tub so can be loaded up if you want,,, Went through the hub style,,, Too cumbersome for me.  Like the fx200 as put everything in it and does weigh down, BUT what I did is put a couple of downhill skis on the bottom which works great and helps in loading and unloading,,, As for insulated that is your choice as where I fish it is wind with chill factors below zero usually and not problem heating shack,,,
majic

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Hub or flipover, that is the question. I have always used hub, but might bite if I see a good deal on a flipover. There are benefits and flaws with both kind.  Either way, do not look at anything that isn't insulated.

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Ive done tons of research on this which has lead me to the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno.  I know its not a 2 person, but due to the weight and good reviews, I think this is a good choice. I was originally thinking Otter Cottage, but they weigh quite a bit for hole hopping.

You could easily afford a 1 person flip and a hub for the amount of a good 2 person insulated flip.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:51 AM »
If you go flip I'd recommend Shappell as they are the lightest...1 or 2 man. If you go hub, think about the room. I find when the claim is 2-3 man, it's a stretch..I'd call them a very comfortable 1 man. And same with 4-5 man, a very comfortable 2, maybe 3. I like to have plenty of room for gear and move around. JMO. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:58 PM »
If you go flip I'd recommend Shappell as they are the lightest...1 or 2 man. If you go hub, think about the room. I find when the claim is 2-3 man, it's a stretch..I'd call them a very comfortable 1 man. And same with 4-5 man, a very comfortable 2, maybe 3. I like to have plenty of room for gear and move around. JMO.

I cant stand watching videos on youtube when 3 guys are in a hub full of gear and their is barely any room for them to move. It makes me claustrophobic just watching. Id get a size bigger for sure.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:04 PM »
+1 for the Fatfish 949. I’m near Pittsburgh and it does right by me. Fits in the duffle bag every time and also can carry it on your back like a backpack.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:31 PM »
I am looking to purchase a shanty after this ice fishing season. I plan to fish some tourneys next season. I’d like the shanty to be reasonably priced, be able to fit two men. If possible I’d like it to be lighter in weight to help with the drag.
In my opinion, to fill your 1st requirement go with a flip-over.  Fishing tournaments you need to be mobile and move a lot and quickly.  A flip-over fits your bill.   Dragging a hub over the ice is slow, especially on a windy day.  Brand of flip-over is your choice but don't go with the large over stuffed seats, they are comfortable but heavy.   Make sure you also build or buy a Smitty Sled so when there is deep snow on the ice you have an easier drag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.