Author Topic: Pike Leader?  (Read 28519 times)

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pike Leader?
« on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:02 PM »
   Hey! What are you guys using for Pike leaders and how long off your main line? I saw some guys using tiger wire or something like that, it was a tieable wire leader. I cant seem to find any. Thanks!

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike Leader?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:55 PM »
i use a long steel leader on mine with no problem
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:57 PM »
i use a long steel leader on mine with no problem

Same thing.  ;)

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Terminator Titanium steel leaders are unreal. It does not curl and it has no coating on it so it will not chafe. And even at 50lb it still has a thin diameter. Good stuff for metal!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Anything will work, but the titanium ones are nice since they don't have much memory...

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:03 PM »
I use 17lb fluorocarbon., and about 10 feet of it.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:30 PM »
I use 17lb fluorocarbon., and about 10 feet of it.
I use 20-30 pound wire, black. I would not reccomend using 17 pound flourocarbon, but to each there own.

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 AM »
I use 39lbs fluro and i have not lost fish yet

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:01 PM »
I use 20lb fluro and have not any problems

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:04 PM »
 Don't use Vanish Flouro. I've lost a couple Pike and I even had an 18" Brown trout snap it off
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:34 AM »
malin boa no kink is good stuff thin and 100% bite proof, hell would freeze over before i would switch to fluorocarbon.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline RagingDiablo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I have been using Red PowerPro #40 with a #10dia.  Works great, more flags then using steel leaders. :tipup:

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:13 PM »
malin boa no kink is good stuff thin and 100% bite proof, hell would freeze over before i would switch to fluorocarbon.

I was about to order the 30lb test stuff...Which test do you suggest?

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:25 PM »
     i use 80 to 100lb. floro and landed 9 fish over 40"s last season with only 1 break-off! that fish cut clean thru just after the hookset. i had 75% more bites than other people fishig in the same waters and will never use wire again! good luck!   :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Home brewed quick strike rig

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Couldn't  have said it better myself MP!!  Roger That!

Offline bondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I use 30 lb spider wire stealth. I catch eyes on this too by accident sometimes.
Ron

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:22 PM »
I use 20-30 pound wire, black. I would not reccomend using 17 pound flourocarbon, but to each there own.
I've never been bit off yet. Use your wire, and I'll use my mono/flouro, and we'll see who has more hook ups. Ilikepike my buddy has probably landed more pike big pike in a season than most have done in their life, and he uses 15lb maxima, which I just bought, and am switching to.
I guess the following pike that were caught on 15lb maxima, and 17lb vanish were mistakes, and not having any biteoffs was also a mistake. These fish range from 14-23.5lbs It doesn't matter what you use, but I can guarrenty that you will have 90% more hookups using mono or flouro compared to steel leaders. You just can't horse the fish in, you have to play them out. I may also add that yesterday ilikepike got a 39.5" 15+ lb northern on 8lb vanish.

Offline lethalconnection

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hawg Hunter!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:01 PM »
I've never been bit off yet. Use your wire, and I'll use my mono/flouro, and we'll see who has more hook ups. Ilikepike my buddy has probably landed more pike big pike in a season than most have done in their life, and he uses 15lb maxima, which I just bought, and am switching to.
I guess the following pike that were caught on 15lb maxima, and 17lb vanish were mistakes, and not having any biteoffs was also a mistake. These fish range from 14-23.5lbs It doesn't matter what you use, but I can guarrenty that you will have 90% more hookups using mono or flouro compared to steel leaders. You just can't horse the fish in, you have to play them out. I may also add that yesterday ilikepike got a 39.5" 15+ lb northern on 8lb vanish.

So what your saying that all the pike ive caught this year, which might i add is alot are all mistakes cause any smart pike wouldnt hit a steel leader, they must have the brain capacity to know that a lil black/silver line above the bait must mean its bad but the two sharp points coming off of treble hooks that arent buried in your bait is ok, wow i never knew fish were so smart. Yeah right.

Look at these pictures.

Thats what a 20lb pike does to wire leaders after it hits it hard and takes it in deep and you fight it. Which by the way since when were u able to horse a fish in if you have a steel leader on? Im sorry but a hook is gunna stay in a fish's mouth just the same with flourocarbon or steel leader.

Also good for your buddy and his accomplishments. Thats not too bad of a fish you got, but if flourocarbon is soo good why dont u have more pics of big fish? This season alone ive seen at least 20 fish over 36"(and as big as....well have to wait near the end of the tourney to find that out ;)) put on the ice while using wire leaders. Only thing i can think of is the pike in New york have dentures for teeth, thats why u havent been bit off yet.
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:30 PM »
you guys aren't dealing with enough big fish to prove anything, posting pictures of 2 fish doesn't really make me believe that 17 lb fluorocarbon is bite proof. Is fluorocarbon tougher than mono, yes. Is it 100% bite proof?? no.  One trip to tobin lake and you guys would be scrambling to find some wire.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:40 PM »
you guys aren't dealing with enough big fish to prove anything, posting pictures of 2 fish doesn't really make me believe that 17 lb fluorocarbon is bite proof. Is fluorocarbon tougher than mono, yes. Is it 100% bite proof?? no.  One trip to tobin lake and you guys would be scrambling to find some wire.

Ha ha, I was thinking the exact same thing.  If you fish for pike in Saskatchewan with fluoro or mono, you will be willing to pay $5 a foot for wire by day 2.  Last winter my buddy lost a pike on Tobin that chewed through his 40lb steel wire...on the other hand any other groups out that day would have a good laugh watching guys bring up bit off rigs every time a flag goes up... 

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:41 PM »
A friend went with 50# spider wire,I told him to fish with wire,,he said this is so tough no fish could bite it,well he learned the hard way. When dealing with big fish over 15lbs, 18 to 20 inch wire,quick strike rigs,treble size 8 or 6 depending on your bait size.Why 18 to 20 inch steel leader?My 41 in.pike had about 2 inches of leader sticking out of her mouth.

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I wanted to see if anybody has any thoughts on using both?  My buddie has his tip ups set up with about2 3ft of floro and then about 12 or so inches of steel.  I have mine set up with about 12-14 inches of tyger wire. I like how the wire ties and doesn't coil up but I definitely do not get as many strikes as he does.  I am going to change my rig.  Not sure if I just want to go with a longer  section of Tyger wire or floro. Or a combination of them like my Friend.  My line is the standard nylon braid in white, I have a black barrel swivel leading to the tyger wire.  I have a split shot just above the swivel. Also my friend has black nylon on his tipups.  Any suggestions are welcome.   Please include recommended lenght of the leader etc.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:16 AM »
Those were just example pictures, there are plenty more like that. We have yet to have any problems being bit off, so I guess the fish here in ny must have dentures, regaurdless I'll stick to my maxima. Vanish was good also, but I like the maxima a bit better. But to each his own I suppose.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:24 PM »
17lb flourocarbon has definitely increased my flags.  For bigger rigs I'll use 20 - 30 pound piano wire leaders.  The flourocarbon is pretty resistent to abrasion but you need to check for nicks.  Never lost a fish to a break off though.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:51 PM »
18lb. or 27lb. uncoated 7-strand steel leader........Speaks for itself.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:32 PM »
It was said once and I will say it again. MALIN BOA NO KINK. There is no reason to use steel leader. The Malin Titanium wire is stronger than steel, kink proof, stretches, can be tied and is thinner and more invisible than any flouro. The only reason you dont use it AirManCam is because you have never seen or tried it. I have converted so many people to this stuff its not funny. I wouldnt be surprised if MeadowPikeMan was one of them. Nothing performs like Malin wire for toothy critters, even the most line shy fish in the water. Nothing. Get some, if you dont like it, I will buy it from you.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:41 PM »
ok.....youve sold me on   MBNK   but please...tell us where to find it..ICETROLL...or MPikeman???

AS SEEN ON OPRAH ....or what?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:48 AM »
pretty much an urban legend ;D, availability on this stuff is pretty bad, but if you do some searching online should be able to round some up.

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:13 AM »
i also use 17 lb flouro vanish and have never lost a fish, but let me also tell you I never use a gaff, if I can't gill the fish it's not ready, rule # 1 never horse the fishy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.