Author Topic: Leaders for Pike  (Read 12428 times)

piker

Leaders for Pike
« on: Dec 13, 2002, 09:02 AM »
I am in the process of redoing all of my type and we have a set of type that we use for Pike fishing and have always used th steel leaders.  The steel leaders are stiff to use for the quick strike rigs and tougher to handle at pick up time.

I was talking to the man at the tackle store and he said to go with the new braided line and it will be fine.  very tough to cut, even with a pair of nail clippers.  I was going to use the 50lb test that has the diameter of a 12lb test line.  This new technology seems to be OK and the line is really tough.  Would be easier to tie onto and change hooks, etc.

What is everyone else using for a leader on their tip ups when going after Pike??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

wisconsinboy

Re: Leaders for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2002, 09:08 AM »
i try to go with at least a 40 lbs leader sometime more, i use nothing less then 40 lbs test line on my tip ups.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2002, 09:17 AM »
50lb Florocarbon (seaguar) 3' long for my leaders for pike. It's a little more expensive then some other lines. Mine cost $.65 a piece (based on the price of a 25yard spool). I think the florocarbon line is great. This is my second year using it for ice fishing leaders.

Esox

rmbillettjr

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2002, 06:32 PM »
I have to agree about the flourocarbon.  Since that stuff came on the market I have been using it for leaders trolling stripers on the open water and it works great.  It almost dissappears in the water and there isn't a tougher mono out there.

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2002, 12:44 PM »
I have used braided line for leader's and found it to wear out and weaken pretty quick, like the guy's said don't waste your money.don't underestimate the sharpness of a pike tooth.
walk the hard water side.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2002, 04:33 PM »
This year i tied many different leaders. i tied about 15 for pike or bigger species and about 15 for trout and panfish. For walleyes i will mix and match the leaders, some heavy some light. For the pike i used about 20lb test stren high inpact about 4 feet long. onto that i tied a steel leader and clipped a treble hook on. at the other end of the leader i tied a loop that can be attched to the snap swivel at the end of my main tip up line.

For the trout i tied 10lb test berkely vanish flourocarbon line about 4 to 5 feet in length. i then tied a small treble hook straight to the leader or i tied a small single hook that already had a 6inch leader attached ( like the kind you can buy). again, i tied a small loop at the end of the leader that can be attched to the snap swivel on my main line.

with this system i can change my leader depending on the species im going after. there are no swivels in the leader. i feel then impair the action of the bait. i used fourocarbon line for trout because they are very picky. i havent had a chance to test this system yet but i think i will do great w/ it. i am also wondering whether or not to put split shot on the leader or on the main line or should i even use it at all? If anyonee has any suggestion about the split shot or about the leader system please post them. any help is greatly appreciated. good luck this year to everyone and many flags to you
Many are cold, but few are frozen

rmbillettjr

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2002, 05:41 PM »
Fishinut,
The biggest reason that I use a split shot on my leaders is to keep the bait where I put it, especially when fishing deep water.  Take notice the next time you put a minnow down a hole what direction it tries to swim.  Just my 2 cents.

maineguide

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2002, 10:02 AM »
Spider Wire works pretty good for leaders. It's soft and pliable.
Have used it open water fishing but not for icefishing yet.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2002, 03:13 PM »
Let me throw another vote for Flourocarbon line.  Started fishing with it about 4 years ago for Salmon, (used strickly as a leader.)  Almost doubled my catch in the clear water.  Use it now for any leader whether it's open or iced waters.  The one thing that has been a fault of the Flourocarbon, is it's ability to resist abrasion.  This is of coarse a personnel opinion, so don't send the hounds after me!  Once a toothy fish has nicked the line alittle, it comes off!  Even in cold weather when I don't feel like re-tying leaders on a tip-up.  I often have 5-10 leaders pre-tyed so this process is sped up a little.  Oh yeah, I use 40 lb. Cabela's Seaguar leader material, found on the bottom of pg. 48 of the summer catalog.  Flourocarbon line is also fantastic for shy species like Artic Grayling, Char, and Rainbows.  Pike up here will get line shy so this leader material can increase strikes.  These fish tend to be quite line shy and will take a lure readily, without the worries of thicker line deminsion.  I hope this helps.  Barleydog :'(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2002, 06:45 AM »
I use black wire leaders. Never seems to stop the slough sharks from hitting. 8)

Esox)Manitoba)

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2002, 05:41 AM »
I make my own quick strike rigs for pike using #4 or 6 trebles and wire which I picked up from ProAm Tackle here in Winnipeg. I believe the wire is from 7Strand, a California based firm. I used to use coated wire but for the past few years have gone with the uncoated stuff.  Test is about 27 lbs. Has worked well for me and has accounted for several Master Angler size fish (+42 inches).

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2002, 11:09 AM »
has anyone noticed a differece in fish catch rate w/ or w/o a steel leader? just wondering :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2002, 12:16 PM »
Yes...I've noticed more productive days with floro over steel. My only "skunk" last year came on steel leaders. If you want to give it a try, put floro on half your traps and steel on the other. You will have to give it a half a dozen trips of so to see a real pattern. The clearer the water the more you will notice the difference.
I won't go back to steel. Floro leaders and a lipgripper (boga grip, berkley,etc) for lifting them out of the hole.

JMHO ;D

greenhornet

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2002, 12:27 PM »
I use mono for leader material, But i also think that if the pike are aggresive they will hit a dirty sock hanging from a tow chain. ;D. I use 25# test Mason line, It's a monofiliment leader material they sell at the bait store near me. the reason I use it is I don't like to switch leader's at prime time when the pike turn off and the walleye's turn on, I do switch bait sometimes, but I've also caught a 15" walleye on a 4" golden at sundown, the poor thing was choking on it, but he still hit it. IMHO......which aint worth much...

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2002, 05:14 PM »
I agree with ESOX!  When you fish the clear water nothing beats Flourocarbon!  Hey Greenhornet your right about on a hot day, pike will hit a tow chain and dirty sock rig! :D lol  It's those days when the pressure has them lock jawed, or even when thier jaws are pink that makes pike a hard bite.  Heck even up here in Alaska the pike bite can turn off, and the clear water just makes it harder to attract a bite.  That's when it's time for a nice soft bait like herring or smelt on a stretch of Flourocarbon.  It's hard to beat!  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2002, 02:48 PM »
But cant the pike break the flouro with thier sharp teeth. Has this ever happened to you or do u use a heavier pound test flouro for pike? I will try both this year.
Early this spring i was using a steel leader for stripped bass in the hudson ans wasnt getting any action at all. After i switched to a mono leader i caught about five 20+ lb fish. I could really tell the difference , but stripped bass dont have very sharp teeth so i didnt have to worry much.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2002, 04:54 PM »
Fishinnut,
Well...sure a pike COULD bite through the line. I run 50# floro for leaders, which in it's self is pretty rugged. However, the key to catching pike on mono/floro rigs is to "play" the fish. You can't just haul it to the hole and yank it out. When a fish want's to run, let it run...just keep gental pressure on the line as it slides through your fingers. When it stops, slowly work it towards the hole. This may go on for a bit but I think it's a lot more fun then horsing the fish out of the water. When you get the fish to the hole it will probably run (almost always), let it go..keeping light pressure on the line. You will eventually be able to get the fishes head up the hole. Then I like to use a lip gripper (Boga grip, berkley, etc) to lift the fish out of the hole. It's much better on the fish and it keeps you from getting cut.

Hope that helps

Esox

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2002, 05:51 PM »
This year I'm going to use 80# Power Pro superbraid off my surf reel to leader my big game tip up.  Stuff is super sensitive and durable.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2002, 10:45 AM »
I'm gonna try some 30# berkly Ironsilk this year.  I have heard tell that it is super resistant to abrasion and has low spool memory.  I'll let ya'll know how it works! :'(
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

ryfisher

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2002, 02:53 PM »
well might shock ya but very rarely use leaders. i take a 24" medium action jiging pole and put a fly reel on it. throw 6lb Stren line on it with a split shot and a size 8-12 gold hook. just use some bass minnows or pike minnows. i also picked up this rod hilder that has 2 legs in the upsidedowm V shape. when it is drug on the ice the V legs flip out -- and stops the pole from going in. works great.

later

jack fitzsimmons

Re:  Leaders for Pike
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2003, 10:25 AM »

northern ice man

« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2003, 10:40 AM »

northern ice man

« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2003, 10:42 AM »

I tried spider wire on northern and walleye in both cases when

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2003, 01:00 PM »
I use 50 lb braided on the spool of my tip up then a 3 foot piece of 20 lb fire line.  most of the lakes that I fish in the pike that you catch average 5 pounds.  The good thing about the 20 ld fire line is it does not scare the occasional walleye.  if you don't feel it is enough get stronger line but keep the fire line short as it will cut your hand on a run.

canteatem

Re:Leaders for Pike
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:48 PM »
A few years ago I was on houghton lake in michigan. Its gets pounded and all we cought were hammer handles with steel. But I had one rigged w/17lb Vanish and we got one 39". I live in southern michigan and know of anyone using steel. Theres just too many lines in the water and the fish know it!

sweet446

« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:37 AM »
i just use 20 pound leaders they always do the trick for me. :'(

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Tried 27 lb spiderwire for pike leaders and it is no good!  Not tough enough at the hole. Have since went to 30lb floro, so far so good.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:11 PM »
I met a guy that changed my view this year.  I put on 15# Trilene big game.. the only heavy line I had...  and a 15 treble, and got my only keeper Pike this year. I fished 2 days in the worst time to get them and got a 10 lber...  used 5 inch minnow

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2004, 04:36 PM »
probably spend 30+days every year just targeting pike, and would never dream of using anything other than steel leaders. take one look inside a 20+lb pike and then you will not feel so sure about using mono, florocarbon, or braided line, none of which can GUARANTEE no bite offs. i use a 35lb wire T harness to hold big bait like tulibees and perch.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Meadowpikeman,

Where do you fish for pike? 
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.