Author Topic: Making your own leaders  (Read 19264 times)

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
Re: Making your own leaders
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:57 AM »
I have caught several through the ice.  The same problem exists with the ice--that being-- their teeth cutting the leader.  I use a flourocarbon leader with a red trebel  without any breakoffs to date.  They don't fight anywhere as near a much in winter but they are still scrappy and a blast.  This year I am targeting pike, essentially the same as musky. (but you can eat them!!)  So I am going to use 60 lb FC with palomar knots with a ball bearing swivel. I use 20-30 lb powerpro for the main line.  Hope that helps!  FT
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline gatorslime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Nov 22, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Many years ago, I rigged a line strength and knot tester by mounting an old level wind reel  and a zebco deliar to a board. I was able to test my knots and found that the number of twists in an improved clinch knot varied with the pound test I was tying. I believe 5 twists were ideal for 6 and 8 lb trilene xl if I remember correctly. Anyway, I could see what failed and at what weight it failed. Sometimes the main line would break, away from the knot, sometimes the knot would slip. I could see the tight curls left in the old knot location. Maybe this helps? I did tie to a large swivel, so I had it there to analyze after the failure. Going back to the previously mentioned failure at half strength... if 60 lb test is breaking at 30lb, you should be ok pulling in a pike. I haven't caught huge pike, but I'm guessing they can't pull thirty lbs worth? Now after the teeth factor comes in, you may not have 30lb of strength left but that can only be negated with steel or titanium. My 2 cents. Thanks for all the info sharing. I am gonna try the uni knot with some 40 lb flourocarbon.

Offline gatorslime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Nov 23, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Many years ago, I rigged a line strength and knot tester by mounting an old level wind reel  and a zebco deliar to a board. I was able to test my knots and found that the number of twists in an improved clinch knot varied with the pound test I was tying. I believe 5 twists were ideal for 6 and 8 lb trilene xl if I remember correctly. Anyway, I could see what failed and at what weight it failed. Sometimes the main line would break, away from the knot, sometimes the knot would slip. I could see the tight curls left in the old knot location. Maybe this helps? I did tie to a large swivel, so I had it there to analyze after the failure. Going back to the previously mentioned failure at half strength... if 60 lb test is breaking at 30lb, you should be ok pulling in a pike. I haven't caught huge pike, but I'm guessing they can't pull thirty lbs worth? Now after the teeth factor comes in, you may not have 30lb of strength left but that can only be negated with steel or titanium. My 2 cents. Thanks for all the info sharing. I am gonna try the uni knot with some 40 lb flourocarbon.
I meant a Palomar Knot

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Nov 25, 2013, 11:55 PM »
Uni knot is by far the best knot. Actually its the only knot I could get to work with my 50# fluroro.
-Tom

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I have been crimping for years with segaur 40lb and have never had a failure with the crimp and we catch a lot of pike over 20lbs. have to watch the line for wear from the teeth above the hooks.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:12 AM »
 if you go to your local tackle store, pick up a couple that peak your interest, then go get the line, and hardware involved, look up knot tying on pc, it is that easy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.