Author Topic: deep warter norther's  (Read 1432 times)

Offline BIG FOOT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • caching fish, one jig at a time
deep warter norther's
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:56 PM »
i know most of you set tip ups or fish for the in 10-fow but how would do it in deep water say like 20+ fow? would you still be about on the bottom or about half  way down?

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: deep warter norther's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Once past about 15', pike tend to hang to the bottom. I set most of my tip ups 3' off the bottom in deep water, but make sure at least one is 2' under the ice. 50' seems to be about as deep as most pike go. Plenty of people go for 15'-30'. I personally prefer to stay shallow. I like the 5'-15' range, but have caught my share in under 3' of water. It depends greatly on the lake. If its a lake that maxes at 20', and has gradual slopes, pike will cruise around in a foot of water. If its a trout lake, with steep drops, and 200' depths, pike will most likely hang off in open water after suspended bait.
-Tom

Offline BIG FOOT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:27 PM »
thank you that was what i was looking for now i just need to find them  ;D

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:51 PM »
While pike hang to the bottom, they look up, and can see a long ways. The 3' I quoted earlier might be a little deep. I like 3'-5' for my deepest rig. Here is a very useful quote about pike, "It is impossible to put a bait too high for a pike, yet it is very easy to put it too far down" -Infisherman. I've been noticing this recently, especially along sharp breaks. Pike might be roaming in 3' for all I know, and look for food off the edge. I'll set a bait 12' down in 15' of water, and get nothing for hours. I'll move it up to about 8' down, and I'll get hit in 5 minutes. Start at least 3' off the bottom, and make your adjustments. With more people, just put each tip up at a different depth.
-Tom

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:09 PM »
depends upon how many tipups you can use but with I'd start with these depths no matter how deep the water:
1. right under the ice, just the leader hanging out
2. about 1/3-1/2 way down
3. about 3/4 of the way down

I'd scatter any additional tip ups at random depths between the above listed.  The very deepest I'd go in 20'+ FOW would be 3' off bottom

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:18 PM »
above is what I do for live baits, with dead bait I'd put the deepest one right on bottom.

Offline BIG FOOT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:57 PM »
thanks guy's now i have a batter under standing of how to start next time i go out thank you for all the info :tipup:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:13 PM »
we regularly fish 25-30 ft. when water is clear i set baits 15ft dwn over 25ft. when in 15ft or less ill set them at 10ft. get some attraction on the line too, it will help get you noticed then bit.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:14 AM »
This is good advice! Thanks, maybe I'll start to get some pike in the deeper water now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.