The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How did you do?  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Browntown

• IceShanty Rookie
How did you do?
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:59 PM »
I want to know what you all caught this weekend in placeses like Magog, Seymour, Echo, I.P., etc. I am woundering how people did compared to years past when we could use emeralds.

Did anyone get out there early enough to catch there own smelt and set up with them?

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How did you do?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:16 PM »
I went to Magog, and used pond shiners to set up the jacks while we jigged for smelt. Caught a nice rainbow about 5lbs as soon as i put my last jack in. That was it for the day though for trout. After catching some smelt we rebaited the jacks with them. We never had another flag from a trout. The weird thing was the trout that I caught was full of little shiners like the ones we started using. No smelt in it's belly even though it was caught about 150 yards from the smelt village. Usually have better luck, but we also usually set up farther out in the middle. The fact we had to jig our smelt made us fish a place we usually don't fish. Can't speak for emeralds as we don't use them up there. We always use smelt, and it's a shame they can't sell them anymore. I will be missing the emeralds when I go fishing on Champlain for salmon as that is my choice of bait for them.

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:48 PM »
fished Magog and did terrible! Set up at midnight on Friday night with smaller shiners and then jigged for smelt. rebaited all our lines (5 of us) and nothing all day long. The group next to us had another 45-50 tip ups and got skunked as well. There was a young kid selling smelt on the ice. Apparently as long as the fish don't leave the ice, it's legal?!

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Walleyescooter were you guys in the group of shantys north of the twin islands? There were a ton of tipups out there, but I only saw one trout caught other than the one I got. There were very few flags for that much bait in the water. The trout that I caught was FULL of 2-3 inch shiners, but not a smelt in it.

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Friday night and Saturday until 4:00 pm we fished near Eastman road. VERY slow. Sunday morning we set up really early and then rebaited with smelt north of where we fished Saturday. The group only had one little salmon. Both days were South of the Islands.
Hard to believe that all those smelt went untouched. We tried just below the ice, 5 feet down, 20 feet down. NOTHING. I'm new to trout fishing and am getting discouraged. Everyone says Magog is awesome. Maybe it was just a bad weekend because of the cold weather moving in?

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:20 PM »
I think it was just a slow weekend for trout. That full moon didn't help us out at all. I feel with a bright moon like the predator fish feed all night and don't feed a lot during daylight. A lot like deer in that respect. The last few years I have fished Seymour for the opener and caught a bunch of trout, generally small lakers. You might want to try that if you just want to catch some trout. You can only use 4 jacks on Seymour, but I always catch more trout than the number of jacks I put out.

Offline Browntown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Don't get discouraged. I've caught some excellant fish out of Magog. I don't ofter fish for lakers but I've caught both rainbows and browns in the 4-6 lb. range as well as a few good salmon.Sounds like they just weren't hungry.

I've also found that I catch more fish on the first weekend of inland fishing on the bodies of water that do not get fished before the season for perch or whatever else.

Offline fish rascal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:52 PM »
caspian same deal slooow, 18 traps, 3 flags, 1 16 inch laker. 8 hours
Cast and Blast!

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:56 AM »
I second that about Caspian..... 6am till 1.30 yesterday and 6 flags for 1 small laker.
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline hizzy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I fished Wallace Pond opening day... 14 traps out... 15 flags, mostly run and drop flags... Got 4 browns from 12-20 inches... And also jigged up about 20 good sized perch...

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:35 PM »
fished Magog and did terrible! Set up at midnight on Friday night with smaller shiners and then jigged for smelt. rebaited all our lines (5 of us) and nothing all day long. The group next to us had another 45-50 tip ups and got skunked as well. There was a young kid selling smelt on the ice. Apparently as long as the fish don't leave the ice, it's legal?!

I would bet it is not legal,he would have to be a bait dealer and all that other crap.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I dont really think I would push the selling of smelt. I ll tell you the fine is alot more then the few $$$ you would get for the smelt. Thats my 2 cents anyways.....jim s

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Maybe we will get some of that stuff sorted out this next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath.BB

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:35 PM »
i went to st.catherine this weekend and did very well i went by myself the first day and got 12 browns a couple in the 4-5 lb range then the secound day i went with 2 other guys and we got 8 more browns at st.catherine then picked up around 10:00 and went to sunset a jigged up another 12 lakers...alll in all i would say it was a pretty good weekend

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:45 PM »
What were you using when you were jigging for lakers??
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:18 PM »
just a white tub with a slab of sucker on the back .......went back today and got 18 lakers and 11 rainbows

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2008, 06:55 PM »
just a white tub with a slab of sucker on the back .......went back today and got 18 lakers and 11 rainbows

Fishnfreak  how big were lakers ,I have not fished sunset in a while, but most we caught were on he small side,under 3#s.BB

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:48 PM »
we didnt catch ne thing big most were around 20 inches with a couple 22-23 inches.....the big ones are few and far between in there but they are in there.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:29 AM »
How much ice is on Sunset lake?

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2008, 04:29 PM »
we were fishing on 5-6 inches of ice but there was a spot out in the middle that didnt freeze till late and there was a couple of spots were u could see water on top of the ice that only had 2-3 inches.

Offline eightptrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:36 PM »
i fished Keller's bay on Saturday out by the island on about 7in of ice had 3 flags landed one salmon about 16in and got 4 decent perch lot of small perch went to apple tree marina on sunday fished on 7 to 3in of ice depending on where i was had 24 tip-ups in not a flag from 7- 1 lots of dying Alewife under the ice more in apple tree than Keller's wonder if anyone else is having any luck with lls/bt or if anyone has some suggestions on other places to try

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:09 PM »
I have heard a few people talking about all the dead alewifes and how the perch and other fish are eating them right up and wanting nothing to do with our baits. It kind of makes some sence but who knows.. I have been fishing ponds and doing ok the bite has been slow....jim s

Offline vticefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • people think im crazy getting up at 4AM to fish
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:23 PM »
I would bet it is not legal,he would have to be a bait dealer and all that other crap.BB

it is legal to use the smelt you caught as bait, but only on that body of water...you cant take them off of the ice.
get out there and fish...or hunt

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I have heard a few people talking about all the dead alewifes and how the perch and other fish are eating them right up and wanting nothing to do with our baits. It kind of makes some sence but who knows.. I have been fishing ponds and doing ok the bite has been slow....jim s

if thats the case would it be legall to jig up the alewifes and use them for bait???

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:55 PM »
NO all you can jig and use for bait is PERCH and SMELT. Im not sure what it is your getting at....jim s

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:17 PM »
O i was just sayin that if u were having trouble catching fish cause all they were eatin is the alewifes then u should try to catch them for bait and maybe solve that problem but its not legal so there goes that idea

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:45 PM »
 I have not fished the lake yet do to the fact that a few people I have talked to say there is nothing being cough. They think that the dead alewives are the problem. There is 1 guy that fishes the lake I know verywell and he said the same that people out perch fishing will get a few perday and that is it. I am sticking to the ponds and maybe I may try to do some smelt Tuesday in the AM....Jim s

Offline walleyescooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Don't get discouraged. I've caught some excellant fish out of Magog. I don't ofter fish for lakers but I've caught both rainbows and browns in the 4-6 lb. range as well as a few good salmon.Sounds like they just weren't hungry.

I've also found that I catch more fish on the first weekend of inland fishing on the bodies of water that do not get fished before the season for perch or whatever else.

Any news on Shadow Lake? I have a buddy that wants to fish there and I don't know what to expect?? Lakers? Can you jig them? Tip ups with minnows on the bottom??

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2008, 03:58 PM »
I just asked my fishing buddy the same question. I have never fished it myself, but those that I have spoken to that have said you will get a lot of lake trout, but they tend to be small. They also said there are a lot of nice rainbows in there. Good luck if you go!!!!

Offline eightptrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2008, 04:08 PM »
i was thinking of going to megog this coming weekend but I've never fished there was wondering if anyone could recommend a spot to try for rainbows and browns i would appreciate it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.