The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Memphremagog  (Read 2132 times)

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
Memphremagog
« on: Jan 16, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Has anyone been out on the ice recently at Memphremagog?  Just wondering what to expect when we get up there this weekend.

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Memphremagog
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2023, 10:54 AM »
I have not been out but we haven't had a lot of cold temps, and with a couple warm ups and rain we have gotten in past couple weeks I'm guessing the ice isn't very good. Last week a guy an his dog went through the ice on Joe's pond.

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2023, 09:20 AM »
6" of ice up near the border out to Province Island.  Good jig bite for yellow and white perch but trout fishing was horrible for us over the last four days.  One laker jigged up and lost at the hole.  Not a single trout or salmon on a dozen tipups set for 6-8 hours per day over four days.  No smelt either.  Neighbors were out too all weekend and they caught one small salmon and also lost a laker.  Just terrible.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:05 PM »
6" of ice up near the border out to Province Island.  Good jig bite for yellow and white perch but trout fishing was horrible for us over the last four days.  One laker jigged up and lost at the hole.  Not a single trout or salmon on a dozen tipups set for 6-8 hours per day over four days.  No smelt either.  Neighbors were out too all weekend and they caught one small salmon and also lost a laker.  Just terrible.

I haven't fished Magog for a few years. Unbelievable that the white perch are there in abundance !

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:18 PM »
Yes, we’ve been catching more each year.  We caught more whites than yellows this time.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:24 AM »
Yes, we’ve been catching more each year.  We caught more whites than yellows this time.

:( :( :(

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:19 AM »
:( :( :(

I try not to knock the WPs.  I'd rather have yellows, but they're numerous, bigger, they fight better, and they're nearly as tasty.  I'd rather have them in the lake then the pike!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 02:14 PM »
That’s why the larger pike now are being caught more on the broad lake than South Bay, they like the white perch too.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2023, 01:07 PM »
That’s why the larger pike now are being caught more on the broad lake than South Bay, they like the white perch too.
seems like people dislike pike being there for some reason.  They my favorite fish to eat, but other than one bite off, I've never had any luck with them at magog.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2023, 05:28 AM »
I try not to knock the WPs.  I'd rather have yellows, but they're numerous, bigger, they fight better, and they're nearly as tasty.  I'd rather have them in the lake then the pike!!

IMHO the pike and WP were stocked by some bucket biologist. I agree with you about having WP over pike but they are both harming the smelt and trout fisheries.I used to fish Moore Reservoir for trout and we caught lots of huge browns and rainbows( 25"+). Moore is full of pike now and the trout fishing has tanked . :(

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:29 AM »
IMHO the pike and WP were stocked by some bucket biologist. I agree with you about having WP over pike but they are both harming the smelt and trout fisheries.I used to fish Moore Reservoir for trout and we caught lots of huge browns and rainbows( 25"+). Moore is full of pike now and the trout fishing has tanked . :(

It would definitely have been best if they were never put in there. Tthe lake has changed a lot just in the 12 years I’ve been fishing it. Smelt are really hard to find now. That’s going to hurt everything.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.