The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Brining pike bait  (Read 6371 times)

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
Brining pike bait
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Wondering if any of the Vermonsters have tried brining dead bait for pike. Pautzke makes all kinds of different colors of brine. If anyone has tried it just would like to know how it worked out. Thanks
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline dprue

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brining pike bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:29 PM »
i brined some jumbo shiners last year in the red color.  dont waste your time, just fish natural bait. not worth it

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:20 PM »
i brined some jumbo shiners last year in the red color.  dont waste your time, just fish natural bait. not worth it

I agree
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Idk why people buy shiners. I use yellow and white perch or suckers.  Those 4 inch silver turds are just money wasters

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Why buy live minnows if you're going to kill them by brining them?

Pike like nothing better than a big, fat, juicy, live minnow. They will, if very hungry, or in competition with other big pike, take dead stuff, but a live swimming minnow is going to attract them over everything else.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Idk why people buy shiners. I use yellow and white perch or suckers.  Those 4 inch silver turds are just money wasters
That's was too funny. Never heard of a shiner being described like that!

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Where do you still find suckers? 

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Where do you still find suckers?
I fish them dead on the bottom .  both pike and Lakers.  Slit the belly or cross hatch skin with a knife.  Sucker meat is candy to the fish

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:04 PM »
fish 307 has them,but not legal in Vermont,what we need to do is get rid of these stupid bait laws

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:06 AM »
fish 307 has them,but not legal in Vermont,what we need to do is get rid of these stupid bait laws
The bait. Laws make sense to an extent.  I mean without any bait laws I can "use " stripers on champlain for "bait" and maybe. A few dozen "accidently " spill into the lake.   *evil grin*   I miss my spring and fall runs

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Keep in mind that even dead bait needs to have a "bait slip" with it, so you would need to buy live shiners, kill them, brine them and use them before your slip expired.  Sounds like a PITA.  We have good luck with live shiners.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Keep in mind that even dead bait needs to have a "bait slip" with it, so you would need to buy live shiners, kill them, brine them and use them before your slip expired.  Sounds like a PITA.  We have good luck with live shiners.

Deadbaits that are preserved commercially by methods other than freezing are allowed.  Which allows walmart to sell those emeralds you see stagnating on the shelf...you don't need a receipt for dead baits of that nature.

Retain the commercial packaging so that if you are checked you can show the officer.

Same loophole for Mass and NY and Ive had my sea herring checked in all 3 states.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Deadbaits that are preserved commercially by methods other than freezing are allowed.  Which allows walmart to sell those emeralds you see stagnating on the shelf...you don't need a receipt for dead baits of that nature.

Retain the commercial packaging so that if you are checked you can show the officer.

Same loophole for Mass and NY and Ive had my sea herring checked in all 3 states.

I have caught perch, rockbass and pumpkinseeds on the emeralds, but other than the fact that they don't take up much space and are nearly indestructible for use if better bait is unavailable, their usefulness is limited.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I was recently conversing with an ice fisherman from Michigan... he advised that in the Midwest they rig a spoon to their tip ups and garnish the treble hook with perch bait.. He says that it creates the impression of a bait cloud and the pike hit it hard.. he advised that perch bait is much less than " large shad" and this meathod is more affective... IDK.. sounds plausible..

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Same concept as deadsticking. I have found that northerns on Champlain love a .25oz chartreuse jig head with a medium-heavy medium shiner. Rig it on an auto fisherman, or jaw jacker and they flat out catch fish. Interestingly I have had 0 success anywhere else with this setup!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:20 AM »
I have caught perch, rockbass and pumpkinseeds on the emeralds, but other than the fact that they don't take up much space and are nearly indestructible for use if better bait is unavailable, their usefulness is limited.

For me its much easier to use deadbait.  Especially long trips from CT to VT.  Dont have to keep them alive.  Fishing for pike with herring slows the fishing down a bit but the results are well...

Awesome! 

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:26 AM »
For me its much easier to use deadbait.  Especially long trips from CT to VT.  Dont have to keep them alive.  Fishing for pike with herring slows the fishing down a bit but the results are well...

Awesome!

Ct huh? I heard guys were doing well for Walters on batterson park thru the ice this year

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Lots of shorts ive heard.  Doesnt interest me.  The location of that small lake plus the amount of traffic it gets is a turn off for me.  CT's eye fishery is rather limited.

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Lots of shorts ive heard.  Doesnt interest me.  The location of that small lake plus the amount of traffic it gets is a turn off for me.  CT's eye fishery is rather limited.
You mean you DONT enjoy getting robbed or worse while you fish?  I remember fishing the discharge in Bridgeport for striped bass.  Always fished with my buddies smith and Wesson when I was there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Not really an issue at Batterson. However I striper fish and have heard quite the gun battle in Black Rock Harbor in Bridgeport...

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Wondering if any of the Vermonsters have tried brining dead bait for pike. Pautzke makes all kinds of different colors of brine. If anyone has tried it just would like to know how it worked out. Thanks

Ive nearly gone to dead bait exclusively unless I'm out with my little one then Ill get a half doz or so for entertainment purposes. You dont get as many flags but you dont fight with the perch trips or little hammer handles all day either.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:28 PM »

Awesome!

This is a nice fish but what you are saying you are doing is illegal so I would be real careful posting about it on here.  You can't use Herring as bait unfortunately.

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I have tried dead bait a few times with no success. Strangely enough I did catch a pike once on a cheap ole ball park frank.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:11 PM »

This is a nice fish but what you are saying you are doing is illegal so I would be real careful posting about it on here.  You can't use Herring as bait unfortunately.

Well then...if thats the case than EPO's in every New England state aside from Maine have been very nice to me.  You should re-read the law. Also realize im talking sea herring not river herring.  I appreciate your dramatic plea to be real careful btw (like Im going to end up in jail lmao).  If I thought it was illegal or even in the gray I would not post.  However I did my homework. Spoke with Fish and Game in MA,VT,NH and NY and subsequently am enjoying use of my commercially presevered baits (by means other than freezing) without issue. 

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Well then...if thats the case than EPO's in every New England state aside from Maine have been very nice to me.  You should re-read the law. Also realize im talking sea herring not river herring.  I appreciate your dramatic plea to be real careful btw (like Im going to end up in jail lmao).  If I thought it was illegal or even in the gray I would not post.  However I did my homework. Spoke with Fish and Game in MA,VT,NH and NY and subsequently am enjoying use of my commercially presevered baits (by means other than freezing) without issue.

You are correct. As long as its dead.  I've been using leftover bunker up here and called fish and game as well. After explaiming what it was to them first LOL.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:32 PM »
That’s not quite right unless your bunker was commercially prepared and in a package (basically pickled fish). Dead bait that isn’t commercially preserved isn’t actual legal, and yes there is confusion on this within F&W.
See page number 33 http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/17VTFW-LR4.pdf

You are correct. As long as its dead.  I've been using leftover bunker up here and called fish and game as well. After explaiming what it was to them first LOL.

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:53 PM »
That’s not quite right unless your bunker was commercially prepared and in a package (basically pickled fish). Dead bait that isn’t commercially preserved isn’t actual legal, and yes there is confusion on this within F&W.
See page number 33 http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/17VTFW-LR4.pdf
The problem with your premise like the wardens have told me is how can they prove your bait is commercial or just freezepacked bait? They can't. And the primary concern is on live bait. Call it a workaround if you want that's fine. Call me a queer or whatever. Ive had numerous conversations with wardens reguarding bait laws and chumming or prebaiting When carp fishing.  Just my experience and 2 cents.   Specifically look at rainbow smelts in page 33 to 34.  It mentions not to remove them from waters alive to any other location. It makes no mention of dead bait. This is where most people ive spoke to point when discussing dead bait.

The bait laws were designed to prevent. Bucket stocking and VHS.  Which both of those cannot happen with dead bait. Vhs needs a living hoost to live. Much like our yucky flu virus.  And well..dead fish dont reproduce very fast lol.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:01 PM »

I dont want or need to be correct to be perfectly candid.  However, I do follow the rules and this one works to my advantage. If you look, the states are similar in their verbiage.  Walmart needs to sell those emeralds!(Does anyone even ever buy those at walmart?, seems like they've had them since I was a kid).  I bring up the Walmart example repeatedly because the way they wrote that law is allowing them to sell those dead baits which at the end if the day are harmless just like the sea herring.

Shivering Joe...."commercially by means other than freezing"..which means if I am a baitshop, have a tax ID, thats commercial....vaccume sealing is preserving by means other than freezing (this doesn't mean they cant be frozen it just means you cant just freeze them and call them "preserved").  This isnt that difficult to understand.  I have a friend who owns a shop who did them for me (before I got addicted to jigging lakers). I had packaging and if needed the EPO could call him at his shop. 

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:35 PM »
I emailed F&W to get a clarification. I hope I'm interpreting the rule wrong, i tried some of those pickled shiners from Dicks when fishing for burbot and they were disgusting and didn't work (not that live bait did either). Here is the text from the rule book:

"Before being imported into Vermont,
dead baitfish or fish eggs must be
commercially processed in a manner that
allows the product to be stored without
refrigeration or freezing to maintain
the unopened product. Imported dead
baitfish or fish eggs must be retained in
the original package at all times during
importation and transportation."

I dont want or need to be correct to be perfectly candid.  However, I do follow the rules and this one works to my advantage. If you look, the states are similar in their verbiage.  Walmart needs to sell those emeralds!(Does anyone even ever buy those at walmart?, seems like they've had them since I was a kid).  I bring up the Walmart example repeatedly because the way they wrote that law is allowing them to sell those dead baits which at the end if the day are harmless just like the sea herring.

Shivering Joe...."commercially by means other than freezing"..which means if I am a baitshop, have a tax ID, thats commercial....vaccume sealing is preserving by means other than freezing (this doesn't mean they cant be frozen it just means you cant just freeze them and call them "preserved").  This isnt that difficult to understand.  I have a friend who owns a shop who did them for me (before I got addicted to jigging lakers). I had packaging and if needed the EPO could call him at his shop.

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:42 PM »
I emailed F&W to get a clarification. I hope I'm interpreting the rule wrong, i tried some of those pickled shiners from Dicks when fishing for burbot and they were disgusting and didn't work (not that live bait did either). Here is the text from the rule book:

"Before being imported into Vermont,
dead baitfish or fish eggs must be
commercially processed in a manner that
allows the product to be stored without
refrigeration or freezing to maintain
the unopened product. Imported dead
baitfish or fish eggs must be retained in
the original package at all times during
importation and transportation."
Looking foward to what they send you on clarification. I'm not looking to break rules either.  Will keep an eye on this thread

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.