Author Topic: lines for tip up (lakers)  (Read 4408 times)

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
lines for tip up (lakers)
« on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Just wondering if 30 # line is too much for tip ups when fishing for lakers :tipup: :tipup: thanks
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: lines for tip up (lakers)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I use 30 lb braid with a 4 ft long 30lb monofilimant leader on my tip-ups.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Thirty pound leader is way too much for lake trout.  12 pound flouorcarbon leader is all you will ever need.  The heavier the line, the less the bait can move around.  Lake trout key in on movement, you want the bait to be moving.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:44 AM »
a result of 30 lb mono for lakers. All fish were caught this past tuesday

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222196.0

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:05 PM »

nice catch!  I use 65 pound braid (easier to handle) and 14-20 pound test floro.  I got a bunch of 14-20 pound floro on clearance for a .25 s spool so that makes it my goto leader until it runs out.   Then I'ma try 30 pound mono.....seems to work
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:21 PM »

To each is own. I ice on average about 100 lake trout each ice season and know a heavier leader is going to decrease your catch.  Just my observations from years of trial and error.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:15 PM »
For pigs, I run 40lb dacron with a 6-8 ft 40 lb flourocarbon leader, it works for me.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:38 AM »
i'm making an observation here with the posts made and the pictures shown. most of these fish are well under 10 pounds.   i'm guessing they come from the east coast, Maine(?).   most problably came on a tip-up and smelt were used for bait.  second choice would be jigging an airplane jig and fish-belly sucker or other for a trailer.
when we fish for lakers in the 20# plus class jigging or tip-ups we go a minimum of 25# cortland line and a minimum of 14# fluorocarbon line leaders.   most rigs use 20# fluorocarbon leaders because we bought a 330 yard spool and it's never let us down.
different area, different rigging. same results. . . . fish fry

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:23 AM »
i'm making an observation here with the posts made and the pictures shown. most of these fish are well under 10 pounds.   i'm guessing they come from the east coast, Maine(?).   most problably came on a tip-up and smelt were used for bait.  second choice would be jigging an airplane jig and fish-belly sucker or other for a trailer.
when we fish for lakers in the 20# plus class jigging or tip-ups we go a minimum of 25# cortland line and a minimum of 14# fluorocarbon line leaders.   most rigs use 20# fluorocarbon leaders because we bought a 330 yard spool and it's never let us down.
different area, different rigging. same results. . . . fish fry

Excellent point.  You are completely spot on, the lake trout we catch in NYS ice fishing usually weigh in at the 3 to 7 pound range and many of them closer to the lower scale.  Since the original poster lists the adirondacks as his home I am thinking he is fishing the same lake trout I am fishing.

One of the very far east finger lakes the trout used to run larger (8 to 14 pounds) but still many of the proficient lake trout fisherman there were running 12 to 14 pound leaders and never breaking fish off.  We do have larger hogs in some of the western finger lakes, lake ontario, and the main basin of Champlain but they do not freeze up enough to ice fish.

Last  year I jigged 2 lakers in the same day out of Lake George that were cookie cutters of each other and both right at 29 inches.  Had no problem getting them out of the hole on 8 pound fluorocarbon.  What many guys think is the heavier line the better but what really is important is changing the leader frequently, always looking for nicks and abrasions and using quality line as leader material.  I personally prefer a lighter line for 2 primary reasons.  The bait on the tip up or jig when jigging has more action hense looking more natural and the lighter leader will stretch more at hook up when the lake trout slam it.  The heavy lines won't give as much and hooks get ripped out of mouths.  There is a lot of soft tissue in the mouth of trout and shock absorption is a great thing.

But as you stated in your original comment, if I was fishing for 30 to 40 pound lake trout, obviously I would have to scale up my line to 20 or so.  Unfortunatley this year I am still at 0 lake trout since my primary lake trout water never froze.  Taking a trip to the adirondacks in a couple week and hoping to go from 0 to about 20 over 2 days with my daughter.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:27 AM »
very agreed gooseblaster and great point. i just put this up because I'm looking to average the results... i think I'm gonna run about 12-15# test on my tip ups i have also done some research and haven't really seen but a handfull of hogs. and if ya run into them just ease on them. now im new to the sport of laker fishing or even trout fishing. now when u go for the tip up after the flag is flown whats the best tactic to hooking them? while there on the run ?
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:57 AM »
very agreed gooseblaster and great point. i just put this up because I'm looking to average the results... i think I'm gonna run about 12-15# test on my tip ups i have also done some research and haven't really seen but a handfull of hogs. and if ya run into them just ease on them. now im new to the sport of laker fishing or even trout fishing. now when u go for the tip up after the flag is flown whats the best tactic to hooking them? while there on the run ?

The lakers roam a lot and when you come to your tip up, it will be spooling the majority of the time.  Just pull it out and steadily increase the tension on the line until you feel the fish.  The fish will hook themselves at that point.  Where are you headed?  I will be fishing Fourth and Raquette in a couple of weeks.  Don't forget about jigging too.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2012, 01:21 PM »
I guess I'm different than most here.  I use 10# floro for lakers.  However, I use circle hooks and thus don't have to worry too much about their teeth cutting the line.  I worry more about the continued wacking the line takes from a larger fish's tail when it makes its runs.  In the deeper water where most folks fish for lakers there isn't much for them to get you wrapped around so as long as you take your time, you should be okay.  For me its all about the fight.  I'm not a die hard ice fisherman though so perhaps I haven't been taught enough lessons by the fish and I certainly won't argue with those that prefer heavier lines.  Just different strokes for different folks.  Many of the lakes I fish are very clear too, which influences my choice of # test.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:31 PM »
have pulled 10 pounders in with 4 pound test on the summer, have seen the same with 30 pound spider wire 3 feet off lead core. i really dont think lakers are leader shy, they either bite or they dont, its more presentation.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:26 AM »
A main reason that I run 30lb mono for lakers is some of the lakes I fish also contain northern pike and I don't want to take any chances loosing one.  ;D

Offline walleyewarrior44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012, 05:38 PM »
12-14# fluoro is all you really need for your leader.  Trout have very good eyesight and lighter test will get a lot more bites. Just my $0.02...Also, it's much easier to get a solid knot that won't slip on these lighter lines

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:32 AM »
To each is own. I ice on average about 100 lake trout each ice season and know a heavier leader is going to decrease your catch.  Just my observations from years of trial and error.

Hi Blue_lund,

Do you use a sinker on your line?
Split shot or other ?
I look for a perfect set up to fish laker on my tip up.

Thanks
David
David Vadnais

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.