Author Topic: So why do you ice fish?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So why do you ice fish?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2018, 02:38 PM »
So I can say I also walk on water.
If I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing.  There is not too many other ways to go fishing in the winter.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Adding on to what I already said about not dealing with hauling and controlling the boat plus video game fishing. I prefer/love ice fishing cause I’d rather dress to be warm than sit there in the heat! No bugs! No jet skiers, tubers, speed boats, and other wake making/line cutting annoyances. I swear, people do not understand the headway speed law in this state.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:30 PM »
I like the bugs statement.👍

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Because in the land North of 60* winter is longer than open water season.   ;D

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:00 PM »
For sport, food, relaxation, family?

Yes.

Offline WalleyeWyatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:56 PM »
It's the chase that keeps me coming back! The thrill of planning, the adventure into the lake, drilling holes/checking depth, chasing the fish of a lifetime is crazy addicting!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Adding on to what I already said about not dealing with hauling and controlling the boat plus video game fishing. I prefer/love ice fishing cause I’d rather dress to be warm than sit there in the heat! No bugs! No jet skiers, tubers, speed boats, and other wake making/line cutting annoyances. I swear, people do not understand the headway speed law in this state.

I’ll go with this and add I catch the biggest crappies through the ice. Watching them on the flasher never gets old either.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2018, 09:44 AM »
#1.. I LOVE TO FISH
#2.. I used to snomobiel ALOT... it became expensive and I needed to be responsible as my family had started.
I needed something to do so I started ice fishing...
Now that I'm divorced I have really embraced the chase on the ice...SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT THAN FROM A BOAT!!!
But that makes the reward that much better

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:43 AM »
To me it's more of a challenge than open water. I also like gizmos and there's a lot of gizmos in ice fishing.

RallyGreen

« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Winter is long here and its a good opportunity to solve problems for fun, like making setup faster or a tent more comfortable. Also... no mosquitoes or black flies!

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:16 PM »
To me the better question would be ...... why would anyone not love ice-fishing 😁😁😁 
Seriously I very rarely even fish in open water anymore , to many tourist and people flood our peninsula during the summer . I love the sound of ice making , the sight of a fish coming up through a hole in the ice and watching the Nothern Lights while out on the ice !!
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:24 PM »
It's just been my lifelong love. Watched Grumpy Old Men at a small age and always wanted to ice fish. So when I was finally able to in my teen years, got out and landed my first fish, I knew I'd love the sport from then on. Not only that but I gained so many friends and made plenty of great memories on the ice which makes me more excited for every season to follow.

Plus, being a shore fisherman I'm limited to fishing certain areas over the off season and having that access over the winter makes fishing more enjoyable.
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:52 PM »
It's just been my lifelong love. Watched Grumpy Old Men at a small age and always wanted to ice fish. So when I was finally able to in my teen years, got out and landed my first fish, I knew I'd love the sport from then on. Not only that but I gained so many friends and made plenty of great memories on the ice which makes me more excited for every season to follow.

Plus, being a shore fisherman I'm limited to fishing certain areas over the off season and having that access over the winter makes fishing more enjoyable.
I agree 100% , I grew up in southern Oklahoma lol so needless to say there wasn't much chances to ice fish Ha!Ha . I remember watching grumpy old men myself and wishing one day I would get the chance to try it . At the age of 38 (almost 5yrs ago) I got the chance to move to Alaska,  and I jumped on it . I had know one to show me the ropes of ice-fishing so I got the fun and excitement of figuring it all out myself . There was a lot of help and advice gaven from this forum that helped me keep me and my family safe . There has been so many good memories made out there on the ice with my wife and kids 😁 ..... probably one of the best things I've done in life and not screwed up lol . So here's to another season on the ice and hope everyone stays safe 😁😁😁😁😁😁
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2018, 11:16 PM »
I have always loved fishing.  It will forever hold some of my best memories. And Ice fishing comes with unlimited (mostly) access to entire lakes without a boat. Plus,  no bugs and no tourists,  and the only other people out there are doing the same thing as me.
I can find peace while ice fishing. I can experience that feeling only ice fisherman  can understand where there is no worries about tomorrow or yesterday. Just sitting in meditation only to be brought back to the world when a see a fish swim by or that fat line blip on the flasher.
Plus it is like real world video games with the excitement of catching real fish. And one of my favorite things is sitting in a dark shanty right above the fish who are acting in their natural way in their underwater world only a few feet right below my feet without any clue of my presence. It is something i believe j will love for all of my days.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Because life slows down in Winter and there are fewer other hobbies and chores. A little snow removal and that's about it. You can go fishing without shirking a bunch of other responsibilities.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Because it's the most fun this side of lickin' my finger and stickin' it in a wall outlet... (and I mean that in a "fun" way as I get all charged up).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #46 on: Nov 06, 2018, 01:55 PM »
All of the above. And I have never been able to get a top water to work once the lake freezes!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:38 PM »
To me the better question would be ...... why would anyone not love ice-fishing 😁😁😁 
Seriously I very rarely even fish in open water anymore , to many tourist and people flood our peninsula during the summer . I love the sound of ice making , the sight of a fish coming up through a hole in the ice and watching the Nothern Lights while out on the ice !!

I'm one of those tourists, though you will never see me there before September.
It's a friggin' gong show there during sammin season!!!!

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I'm one of those tourists, though you will never see me there before September.
It's a friggin' gong show there during sammin season!!!!

Smart guy Drifter lol ...... but honestly it's all the dippnetters that flood the peninsula that really puts it over the top 😠😠😠

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:39 AM »
 My greatgrandfather was a worker, a hard worker. Farmer, handyman for hire, mechanic, heavy equipment, and actual job of brickmaker. Ten-twelve hour days all week, except Sunday, that was church and fishing. When I was real young my dad bought a house and my GGF would come and work on it, then Sunday we would go fishing. One of my younger memories is tending tip-ups with him and then sitting in the car at the launch with my pap warming up. We'd sit there watching my GGF sitting on his bucket catching one after another, for hours. He passed when I was 16ish. I didn't fish for alot of years in my mid life, but at some point I saw some of his old gear and asked if I could have a rod. It sat for a few years as I open water fished, then tidying up I saw it sitting and figured why not try it. I got a cheap auger and some nightcrawlers and off I went to his honey hole. The nostalgia was amazing, I may have caught one fish that trip if I was lucky, but I was hooked. It was nice to be outside, the lack of boats, the exercise, it was my happy place. I still fish all seasons with tons of different gear, I have boats, kayaks, saltwater stuff. waders, fly gear, you name it I have, but ice fishing is my favorite. I wait all year for the pops of the ice. It reminds me of him.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2018, 04:20 PM »
because the folks out there on the hard water are serious fisherman, no wake board boats, I can find solitude if I want or fish near a group of others and enjoy their company. I also have more time in the winter not filled up with home repairs, gardening and lawn maintenance.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Here in Nebraska we don't have wake boards on the ice, but I have had a lot of buckets and occasional Hub shelter hauling a$$ by me.

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:14 PM »
1. I love the outdoors
2. I love to fish (It's my meditation and church all in one)
3. I get to hang with my buddies, shoot the breeze and have some beers
4. Helps the winter be more enjoyable
5. My wife needs a break from me now and then
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I grew up in Missouri! I never heard of ice fishing. I've lived in Montana now for 35 years, and since the first time I tried it with some old school tip-down rigs back in 89 I have been addicted. I work so many hours now in the construction season, that I can't wait for ice and snow, because that's the only time we have to relax and have some fun. There's nothing that feeds my soul more than sitting in my icehouse and watching fish come in and occasionally grabbing my jig. Or watching my set of tip ups for a flag to pop up, or sitting over the spear hole waiting for the next monster to swim in and eye that decoy. It's also like the ultimate gadget sport! I love the gadgets! I try every one that comes along. I even make some when I have that great next idea. I wish ice lasted three more months! A few years ago we had such a crappy ice season that I actually had to buy an old boat just to get a little more fishing time. There's nothing better than Ice Fishing!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I icefish because I love being outdoors , no bugs ,and most of all helps pass the time in winter
hook and cook

Offline luvthecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 08, 2018, 02:43 PM »
I icefish because it is the one activity that my father, wife children and I all enjoy and time with family is cherished by me.  I also prefer cold to hot for many of the reason already stated especially the bug comments.

Offline candyok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Because my sweet wife will not.  ::)
A bad day of fishing with your dog, beats any day of doing HONEYDOS.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 09, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Most of my life I haven't had an opportunity or the time to fish open water from a boat (and/or find buddies with boats where our schedules match up), so my options have always been limited unless I'm shore fishing which isn't always the easiest. Ice fishing presented a chance to get out on different bodies of water no boat needed and hit different spots that aren't normally accessible. Plus I grew up doing it, so I've loved it since I was a little kid.  :tipup:

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I like the challenge of the extreme conditions.  its thrilling.  I like to drink and walk home with no worries.  I like to socialize with friends.  I like fish houses themselves.  its kind of like being in your own little cabin all cozy away from the cold.  I like the solitude of it; stepping outside on a clear night and looking at the stars.  its like going out of town camping but you are in the city.  Sometimes I even catch fish

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #59 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:59 PM »
To get away from the wife and get a little peace & quiet.

And to eat Lebanon baloney, American cheese & mayo on white bread sandwiches...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.