Author Topic: Jigging Methods  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Jigging Methods
« on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Generally, while watching my flasher, I keep my jig above the fish and tease them up off the bottom or if they are suspended slightly above them until they can't stand it and come up to check it out and hit.  I like to jig aggressively to get them excited off the bottom but as they approach I generally slow down somewhat and keep jigging tiny hops while raising them even more.  That way, I can tease other fish off the bottom and the first one usually hits due to competition of the other ones.  Also, I learn the fishes limits as to how high off the bottom they will go before returning to the bottom if they don't hit.

Other times, I get them up off the bottom but they don't chase, so I slowly do tiny hops while lowering it to just above them and sometimes get hits that way.  Another way is if fish leave the cone in a good hole, and if the jig is heavy enough, I pound it on the bottom and jig aggressively stirring up daphnia.  Often this attracts fish and ultimately to my jig.

In all, I try to get my ice jig to resemble a copepod or daphnia type movement to entice strikes.

Anyone else have some thoughts or ideas?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: Jigging Methods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2003, 10:26 AM »
that is what i do except i let it sit still for a bit in between each cycle or what i like to call drop hop stop action. ;D

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2003, 10:38 AM »
Fat Boy......Good ideas making the fish come to you.......another trick is to spin your line between your thumb
and forefinger causing the jig to twirl as well as dance.

just remember......"save a few for seed"

wick

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:00 PM »
thats pretty much what i do i believe that if i can get a fish to come up to my jig, that theirs a good chance he will bite. Most of the time this happens but when they dont, i put my baid down where they are and bring it up in little twitches until im a few inches above them (about 6 inches) usually they will come up for it if they do i give it a couple more twitches and they usually take it its been working pretty good for me.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:45 PM »
Yea, I have definitely seen where pounding a jig on the bottem gets their attention. Then it's a matter of how you can finesse them into taking....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2006, 10:55 AM »
We dont have a flasher or any good stuff like that, we usually jsut drill holes around our tipups and start jigging, schools of perch move in quickly, usually crank or 2 off the bottom is best.we fish with tear drops, swedish pimples and spikes.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.