Author Topic: Walleyed & tip ups  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleyed & tip ups
« on: Nov 04, 2018, 04:38 PM »
What's your most successful tip up for Waldo ? I.E. polar , heritage , jack , etc

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: Walleyed & tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:33 AM »
I use all kinds of tip ups... I prefer the flat rectangular tip ups over any of the others.. Gave away all my polar disc tip ups as I dont like them.. I have lots of old traditional wooden tip ups as well...
I use braid or thick ice line as main line with a minimum 2ft flouro leader

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I use the Frabil Arctic Fire tipups, but have had to lube all of them up as I got them. Once lubed, they work great. I know a lot of others I fish with use Beaver Dams, but I cant justify the price if I can lube up the Frabil ones and get them pretty close to the Beaver Dams

Offline Randusw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Great ideas for fishing.

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I was out over the weekend and the guys next to us were using the "door stopper" style and far outfished us with them. We had a number of jackers and Frabills out and these cheap homemade rigs outfished us 10:1.  I made a couple when I got home to keep in the arsenal. 

Offline KMacari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Homemade "door stopper" style tip ups?   I'm drawing a blank on what these would look like.   Care to share more info or even a pic or two?
Thanks!!

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:40 PM »

Spring style door stopper is between dowel and upright post. Wind waves the dowel around, imparting movement. Simple setup and cheap to make.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:40 PM »
wow clever...so these are just fixed line then, no spool or flag or indicator on them?  (other than the arm bobbing around, sort of like a tip-down).  It looks like the two hooks along the back of the upright basically form a cleat for the extra line?

I wonder how hard it would be to fab up some sort of arm like this that clamps on to a normal tip-up, with a clothespin or something on the end for the line, so the arm would still bounce your bait, but if a fish strikes, it pulls the line out of the clothespin, trips the flag then can free spool.
-Matt

Offline KMacari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Hmmm....out to the garage tonight to make a couple of them!!   Thanks for the pics and description!

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:18 PM »
wow clever...so these are just fixed line then, no spool or flag or indicator on them?  (other than the arm bobbing around, sort of like a tip-down).  It looks like the two hooks along the back of the upright basically form a cleat...

I am drilling a hole through the upright on mine to put a bolt through. I will put a small spool of ice fishing line on the bolt and then a washer and wingnut. Tightening the wingnut will create enough tension to hold the lure at the depth you want but not so much that the fish pulls the rig into the hole. The ones I have seen are just stuck in a pile of slush at the side of the hole. Some guys add a rope tether with a loop and put an ice screw through the loop to be sure.

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Here are mine, assembled.

Here they are taken down to fit in my rod bag.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Nice!  So is the tape on the end there effectively the "sail" that catches the wind and makes it bob?  How much wind is required to get it to move?
-Matt

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:57 PM »
The tape helps create movement but also makes it easier to see from a distance. I haven’t played with them much yet, but my understanding is as the spring stretches it becomes more whippy and takes less wind to move them.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:45 AM »
I use the HT ETU-10. Inexpensive and I like the large plastic spools with drag set as loose as possible...can be a challenge on windy days but does work. And a very simple set-up...#12 or 14 treble on 4-6# Fluoro with a split shot just heavy to keep minnow down but free to move. On occasion, I will attach a small blade for some flash...I just use a bead and a bobber stop an inch or two above the hook. Quite often Walleye will get real skittish about size and resistance...small and loose has worked best for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.