New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032322 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #6000 on: Feb 14, 2021, 03:04 PM »

Well put KP

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #6001 on: Feb 14, 2021, 04:49 PM »
Well put KP
Really wasn't that big of a deal and it's understandable.Thats why I asked.This world doesn't need more drama.So i`'ll keep that in mind and understand its SOP from here on in.Thanks for the feed back.Its much appreciated.

Offline Tbell112

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6002 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:28 PM »
Any news on that snowmobile accident yesterday?

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6003 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:50 PM »

Was nice to be there for my girlfriends first keeper eye ice fishing and from there she got her limit and the biggest fish of the day! Happy Valentine’s Day to the lovely Miss Elizabeth!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6004 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Nicely done!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6005 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:11 PM »

Offline D3adhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6006 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:20 PM »
PM sent

Thanks for the tip fishinjohn, appreciate your willingness to help out.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6007 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:43 PM »
That's a nice catch Dsportman, both the fish and the girlfriend. Atta girl!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6008 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:24 AM »
....question.So I parked at Chapman and someone parked directly behind me so I had to find a place I could drive my truck to to load my sled on.Is this normal?At 1st I was pissed.But I’m thinking maybe it’s normal and just something you have to expect.At the end of the day it really wasn’t a big deal.except that I ended up having to drive back around to a spot I could load.I’m not new to bringing a sled for ice fishing.But I haven’t done it a lot.Maybe 3 or 4 times a year.But Ive never run into this before.
I saw you took hell for posting this on FB.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #6009 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:38 AM »
....question.So I parked at Chapman and someone parked directly behind me so I had to find a place I could drive my truck to to load my sled on.Is this normal?At 1st I was pissed.But I’m thinking maybe it’s normal and just something you have to expect.At the end of the day it really wasn’t a big deal.except that I ended up having to drive back around to a spot I could load.I’m not new to bringing a sled for ice fishing.But I haven’t done it a lot.Maybe 3 or 4 times a year.But Ive never run into this before.
I know how you feel it happened to me once 3 yrs ago now I make sure I will be able to unload and load with out much hassle. People forget about common curtesy. At a local spot that get horrible when I get there I try to park and set so people with truck and trailer could follow suit and be off the road but most people don’t care and just park any ol way. Last time I was there I got double parked. Luckily the guy behind me was someone I fished with. But it’s like wth I know we all want to get out there but we can work together and make life easier for the group.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6010 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:44 AM »
I saw you took hell for posting this on FB.
Why? , this day an age some people think the world revolves around them , got a place in chaumount bay that I may lose do to people not having permission

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6011 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:48 AM »
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6012 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:54 AM »

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6013 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Why? , this day an age some people think the world revolves around them , got a place in chaumount bay that I may lose do to people not having permission
That group can be brutal at times. I believe this was in a public parking area so at Oneida it's almost expected someone will park behind your trailer, especially on weekends.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6014 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:25 AM »
 Thanks LP , once I got blocked in for no reason , but I’m very old school , so with a little adrenaline rush I jack knifed his trailer , dam that was heavy 😀

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6015 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Thanks LP , once I got blocked in for no reason , but I’m very old school , so with a little adrenaline rush I jack knifed his trailer , dam that was heavy 😀

Few years back had an asshat double park me lucky I was able to get out but I'm sure he was very unhappy when he can out to 4 flat tires. No I didn't slash them I'm just took the valve stems out and put them back in lol
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6016 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:19 AM »

Yeah , no doubt.I was able to get out and loaded in another spot.
So not worth making a big deal over.I'll just expect it may happen in the future and try to park accordingly.
Just trying to be considerate and abide by local "rules".So again thanks to everyone for your input.

Offline Rock-n-reelin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6017 on: Feb 15, 2021, 08:28 PM »

Hey guy's, I was at lewis point sunday afternoon till dark and got 3 decent perch. On my graph i could see the fish come in and look at my jig for a bit and then swim off. I tried all sorts of different jigs to no avail. can anybody clue me in on what i'm doing wrong. Any help would be great, it's a 2.5 hr drive to get there. Thanks!

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6018 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:07 PM »
You are not doing anything wrong. I have ice fished Oneida for over 25 years and this lake is very humbling. I fish with a network of people and we are all having a tough time this year. Unfortunately for the guys that live a distance away it is a crap shoot...you can do well one day and skunk the next. I live 35 minutes away so no big deal if i don't catch anything. Remember contrary to what you might read or hear... Oneida is not a crush fest ever time you go out....22 miles long...a lot of water for the fish to hide. Try small.. try spikes.. minnow heads... spoons.. jig raps...pretty much my go to's  And move around the lake until you land on the honey hole. Good luck...tight lines..

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6019 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:31 PM »
You are not doing anything wrong. I have ice fished Oneida for over 25 years and this lake is very humbling. I fish with a network of people and we are all having a tough time this year. Unfortunately for the guys that live a distance away it is a crap shoot...you can do well one day and skunk the next. I live 35 minutes away so no big deal if i don't catch anything. Remember contrary to what you might read or hear... Oneida is not a crush fest ever time you go out....22 miles long...a lot of water for the fish to hide. Try small.. try spikes.. minnow heads... spoons.. jig raps...pretty much my go to's  And move around the lake until you land on the honey hole. Good luck...tight lines..

Ditto.But I live near Binghamton.So it takes me 1- 1/2 to 2 hrs depending on where I go out from.Definitely a crap shoot.But as humbling as it can be.It can also be kind with some beautiful catches.So much so I never give coming up a second thought.Hard or soft water.

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6020 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:45 PM »
The fish are acting the same way on Chatauqua this year as well. It is pretty frustrating. I don't know if having a flasher helps or hinders me from fishing. I get frustrated when I see the fish right on your jig and it has lockjaw. Haha.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6021 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:49 AM »
Does a fish whistle work on walleye like it does on perch? If so that would be my go to for finicky fish. Or I’d use a bigger treble. Lol
Tight lines all.
Perchin

She’s humbled me this year as I’ve been a few times and not caught anything. So I started fishing Sodus. Maybe it’s time to go back to the lady.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6022 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:58 AM »

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6023 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:01 AM »
   Hey guy's, I was at lewis point sunday afternoon till dark and got 3 decent perch. On my graph i could see the fish come in and look at my jig for a bit and then swim off. I tried all sorts of different jigs to no avail. can anybody clue me in on what i'm doing wrong. Any help would be great, it's a 2.5 hr drive to get there. Thanks!
using light 2-4 pound fluoro? If not it really does help

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6024 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:11 AM »

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6025 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:20 AM »

Every once in a while I do it when people are around , for some reason most keep their distance , caught goon boy using it the other day 😀

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6026 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:43 AM »
Does a fish whistle work on walleye like it does on perch? If so that would be my go to for finicky fish. Or I’d use a bigger treble. Lol
Tight lines all.
Perchin

She’s humbled me this year as I’ve been a few times and not caught anything. So I started fishing Sodus. Maybe it’s time to go back to the lady.
I generally find the whistle to be good for any species especially when morals are at the lowest  ;) just bring a couple out incase they are still to far away to hear the first whistle haha

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6027 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:59 AM »
 Was just looking at the Chapman web cam looks like the light caught fire

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6028 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:15 AM »
One of the frustrating things about seeing the reports on here is, like Mr. Freeze Miser said above, the size of the lake. People in one area can be on an absolute slamfest, catching 'em on a cigarette butt with a hook in it, and in another area you might be working all day for two finicky fish. It's not necessarily anything you're doing wrong, other than choosing the wrong place to go out of.

I've been to all of my normal good walleye spots this year. Two years ago I was getting a few fish over 20" every outing for the first month of the early season bite. Last year I got 3 of the biggest, fattest eyes I've ever seen on Oneida. This year I've got either dead holes or a bunch of 13-17" fish that are bone skinny. I've been able to pull limits of skinny 15-17" fish but nothing more. Just can't find the healthy schools this year.

And as for getting them to bite. Just go through a rotation to see what they want. I always start with a #5 glow perch rap and a medium sized flutter spoon and rattle spoon. Then upsize, then downsize, try gold, copper, perch pattern, etc. Throw on a vibe/rattle bait. Pound bottom, pound 5' off the bottom. Eventually something you do will fire them up.

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6029 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:18 AM »
Was just looking at the Chapman web cam looks like the light caught fire

Walked off the ice at Chapman last night 6:00 pm along with a few others. Lights were working fine. It almost looks like it's out off shore a distance. Hope Im wrong.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.