New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031884 times)

Offline rippem

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #4650 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:08 PM »
I was planning on heading out of Taft over the weekend is it safe for sleds? I'm not sure of the ice thickness.  I don't fish Oneida very often.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #4651 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:45 PM »
I got my 7 year old son and his 8 year old cousin out tonight.

It was a blast coaching them. Man is it tough to get them to tease the fish and SET THE HOOK!

Very proud of these boys. They want to go back out tomorrow in a snow storm. Not happening!  >:(

Great job. Nice to see the youngins getting out and catching a few.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4652 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:32 AM »

Great job reeleyz and company 👍

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4653 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:22 AM »
3-4 inches snow here in Constantia at 5:30, really just light snow now. Great stuff for the sliders. :)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4654 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:09 AM »
Same amount here. The lake had a lot of bare ice spots and smaller hard snow drifts yesterday. I bet a lot of this new snow blows off anyway.

Offline BASSMASTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4655 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:49 AM »
Heading to the big eye this weekend coming from buffalo and would love to get in to some walleye on the east end. Bringing the finance out for the first time. And not sure where to go out of. If some one wouldnt mine helping me out it would be awesome. Pm if u would like or would love to tag along but would be on foot. Please and thank you guys

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4656 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:18 AM »
Nice work reeleyz and crew!!!!!!

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4657 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:22 AM »
How much snow ended up on the lake overnight?

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4658 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Around 5 inches of light fluffy snow like a couple of the guys stated.

Nice job Bruce! Those kids must have had a blast out there!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4659 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:35 AM »
Thanks.  my bad I missed the report from this morning

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4660 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Guys and gals... not trying to start a war here.... there is a 156 pages of knowledge right in front of you.. everyone would LOVE TO GET SOME EYES... 
With todays technology all you need to do is equipt yourself with it, add water and USE IT
There are fish being caught ALL OVER THE LAKE...
 Look for the shanty villages
General info.. start in 20 fow and move out to 35 fow searching till you find what you want

Offline BASSMASTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4661 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:00 AM »
All i was asking was for a little bit of help. Hope u guys never come out this way to fish cause i wont help u. Works both ways guys

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4662 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:21 AM »
bass would do you want???? listen carefully  .....follow the crowd  start around 20 feet and work deeper ......use electronics  be mindful of gas holes! ....it's pretty simple buddy

Offline BASSMASTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4663 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Stay at the beach just tring to find out what area should i try out off of. I strictly fish only the great lakes for eyes and salmon. And do dam good took 1st in loc fall steelhead and runner up the past few years that lake is new to me. And would love to get her on some fish. This is our one year anniversary and thats what she wanted to do. So thats way i asked for a little help. But i see there is a lot of rude people on this site. And this site to for helping people not make them feel like a dumb dumb.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4664 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Bassmaster... Here are 3 options like Frogger said. All can produce fish...

North shore. Can be good if you hit it on a bite. Park at Godfrey Point state boat launch. Head out to ~20 feet of water and drill a few holes. See if you mark any fish. If not continue out deeper until you reach the "drop off". Fish top of drop off and then try bottom of drop. This is from 25 to 40 feet of water. Fish near but not on top of other people until you get a feel for things. Experiment a little. You will find some fish before long believe me. Use jigging rap with minnow head for eyes as a starter. Small spoons with spikes or minnow head for perch. Good luck.
If you want to try south shore go to Chapman park. Plenty of parking.
If you want to try sylvan beach just head out to where all the shanties are off the beach. Fish slightly away from the crowd to start. Might find active fish.
Good luck. Let us know how you do. 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4665 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:17 PM »
And if all else fails theres ALWAYS a hot bite at flo’s dinner just down road from Lewis point lol

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4666 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Ok so they twisted my arm and I took the boys back out, this time  for perch, and i brought the 3 year old too.  :o

The wind wasn’t horrible.

We fished the midday bite from 10-2. Pretty solid action.

I need a nap!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4667 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Looks like fun had by all! Nice work!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4668 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:56 PM »
That's awesome   great pics

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #4669 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Bassmaster... Here are 3 options like Frogger said. All can produce fish...

North shore. Can be good if you hit it on a bite. Park at Godfrey Point state boat launch. Head out to ~20 feet of water and drill a few holes. See if you mark any fish. If not continue out deeper until you reach the "drop off". Fish top of drop off and then try bottom of drop. This is from 25 to 40 feet of water. Fish near but not on top of other people until you get a feel for things. Experiment a little. You will find some fish before long believe me. Use jigging rap with minnow head for eyes as a starter. Small spoons with spikes or minnow head for perch. Good luck.
If you want to try south shore go to Chapman park. Plenty of parking.
If you want to try sylvan beach just head out to where all the shanties are off the beach. Fish slightly away from the crowd to start. Might find active fish.
Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Bassmaster, I wouldn't go straight off the launch at Godfrey major pressure ridge at the end of the launch and off to the left foot and a half high in some spots. Probably covered with snow now so it might just look like a drift but IT's NOT. "Read" the ice if it looks weird stay away! Those Ridges hold weak ice and pockets of water that can be a little tricky for those unfamiliar with Oneidas little challenges. Been fishing it for 20 years and I still learn something new every year. If you do access at Godfrey (It's a good spot) go over the rocks to the right of the launch and stay right when you hit the ice. Stay on a beaten path wherever you go GAS POCKETS are NO JOKE even seasoned veterans go through sometimes you just can't see them. Bring a spud, icepicks, rope and have a plan (make sure your fiancé knows what to do) just in case. People from all over visit Oneida every year and think it's just like their home lake... IT'S NOT!!! Be safe and good luck x2 on the jigging raps and I'll add buckshot rattle spoons to the list... you gotta figure out the color :)
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4670 on: Feb 20, 2020, 02:03 PM »
That's great, Bruce! Looks like everyone had a blast!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4671 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:31 PM »
Awesome job team Reeleyez! That’s what it’s all about 👍🏻
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #4672 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Bassmaster, I wouldn't go straight off the launch at Godfrey major pressure ridge at the end of the launch and off to the left foot and a half high in some spots. Probably covered with snow now so it might just look like a drift but IT's NOT. "Read" the ice if it looks weird stay away! Those Ridges hold weak ice and pockets of water that can be a little tricky for those unfamiliar with Oneidas little challenges. Been fishing it for 20 years and I still learn something new every year. If you do access at Godfrey (It's a good spot) go over the rocks to the right of the launch and stay right when you hit the ice. Stay on a beaten path wherever you go GAS POCKETS are NO JOKE even seasoned veterans go through sometimes you just can't see them. Bring a spud, icepicks, rope and have a plan (make sure your fiancé knows what to do) just in case. People from all over visit Oneida every year and think it's just like their home lake... IT'S NOT!!! Be safe and good luck x2 on the jigging raps and I'll add buckshot rattle spoons to the list... you gotta figure out the color

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4673 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:02 PM »
All i was asking was for a little bit of help. Hope u guys never come out this way to fish cause i wont help u. Works both ways guys
Not really sure WHAT WAS SOOOOO RUDE about my post????
That's great you are very successful on the soft water!!!!!!!!!!!
Your post wasnt asking for A LITTLE HELP.. you asked for someone to p.m. you with details or for you to "tag along"
The info you asked for is right on prior pages...
My post gave you VERY DECENT INFO and a generic start where to go.. so again
..NOT SURE WHAT WAS "RUDE"
On a serious note..
Good luck my friend and I SERIOUSLY hope you find fish

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4674 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Can you take a sled out at Godfey? I've only taken a sled out of apps on the north shore. I usually launch my boat at Godfrey. But never ice fished out of there.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #4675 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Zap, before last Saturday (when the Ice jams formed) I would say yes for sled out of Godfrey. But since then I'm not sure if people are driving over it (I chose not to even walk over it... air pockets and such) as I said to bassmaster people are accessing the ice by walking over the rocks to the right of the launch. This happens almost every year with the ice at the end of the launch. Sometimes... well most of the time there is enough snow to drive wheelers and sleds over the rocks but this year not so much. To answer your question we have a sled and choose to access from apps... not that far depending on where you wanna go.
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4676 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Reeleyz, that second picture is PRICELESS. It better get framed....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4677 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:48 PM »
So, did Oneida East end get a lot of snow today?? Looking for fishing there Sat AM. Thanks...……………
      Kim ???
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4678 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Thanks birdslayer. Info is much appreciated. Apps it will be.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4679 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:08 PM »
Heading to the big eye this weekend coming from buffalo and would love to get in to some walleye on the east end. Bringing the finance out for the first time. And not sure where to go out of. If some one wouldnt mine helping me out it would be awesome. Pm if u would like or would love to tag along but would be on foot. Please and thank you guys
No secrets ,head for structure get there early Lewis point or Cleveland are great spots  , start a 25’ and work from there , tip your raps with minnow heads or not your choice  , spoons kast masters and slender spoons work pretty well
 Apps has a great selection and will help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.