Author Topic: Golden Pike  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Flagstealer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love pike!
Golden Pike
« on: Dec 04, 2002, 07:12 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

Take a look at:

http://www.geocities.com/mothtrombone/fish02.html

Look at the photograph at the top. Has anyone else seen pike that are a golden color like that?

Randy
I love pike!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Golden Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2003, 08:16 PM »
Flagstealer,
Have you ever put fish in your cooler full of ice and looked at them an hour or so afterwards?  They look exactly like that Pike.  The pigment from the fish bleeds out of the fish and leaves that discolaration to the skin.  That explains the splotchy coloring in the fish.  I don't know if it's the lack of light, cold condition, or maybe the loss of blood in the fish that causes this???  Some fish that I have caught in Tanic (caused by Tamarack and Pine leeching into the water), water were off colared, almost silver.   I have however seen Pike that were Blue in colar with white pupils, very strange ???
TEAM ALASKA

TIPUPMILITIA

Re:Golden Pike
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 04:02 PM »
YEAH ITS THE LACK OF LIGHT. i CAUGHT ONE TOO. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:06 PM »
if you read the infisherman mag they also talk about golden fish it is caused by a pigment missing in some fish  the one they were showing was a walleye

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:10 PM »
Is that kind of like Michale Jackson no pigment?
Cold Feet

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:21 PM »
Posted by: Barleydog  Posted on: Feb 02, 2003, 09:16 PM   

Flagstealer,
Have you ever put fish in your cooler full of ice and looked at them an hour or so afterwards?  They look exactly like that Pike.  The pigment from the fish bleeds out of the fish and leaves that discolaration to the skin.  That explains the splotchy coloring in the fish.  I don't know if it's the lack of light, cold condition, or maybe the loss of blood in the fish that causes this???  Some fish that I have caught in Tanic (caused by Tamarack and Pine leeching into the water), water were off colared, almost silver.   I have however seen Pike that were Blue in colar with white pupils, very strange 

The silver variation, which is known as a silver pike, is a mutant form of northern that occurs naturally throughout the pike's native range. I don't know if thats what you caught or not, but they're cool looking.

This isn't a true silver, but it has a silver variation
http://www.sharemation.com/ChenBassHead/silver%20pike.jpg

This beautiful fish is an Amur pike. It's located in Asia. There were some put in Alleghany Reservoir, don't know if any are left.
http://www.sharemation.com/ChenBassHead/amur_pike.jpg

-Zach

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:30 PM »

hope this works

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:50 AM »
Let me correct something. THat "silver" pike in the photo isn't a true silver. A true silver pike has no markings, and a silvery blueish/green tint.

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.