Author Topic: I.D.I. Gear Arctic Armor Suit vs. Clam Ice Armour™ Suit  (Read 43398 times)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I.D.I. Gear Arctic Armor Suit vs. Clam Ice Armour™ Suit
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:24 PM »
 ;D Good choice as its a real nice suit.The only thing I don't like is the white fur over the pocket! I may try and take it off.I guess its for hooks (???) even though I wouldn't want them near my face or what I used it for is drying my wet fingers.Anyone here know the use of this? Other than that I can find NO faults at all with the suit and I researched them all before buying.I will be using it also on calls as a Volunteer Fireman on the Niagara River.As for Fish307 if youre nearby why don't you just go back and get the size you think you may need? Good fishing.

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for the information and advice.  Due to the information gained here I have decided on and subsequently purchased the IDI Arctic Armor Suit.  I bought the red one and think this is a very wise purchase.  After trying it on I decided on the XL bibs they seemed to fit perfectly (i'm 6'2" - 180lbs).  The issue I have is with the jacket.  When I tried on the Large it seemed perfect however I had nothing other than a dress shirt and tie on.  I tried on the XL and it was definately big however once I factored in the bibs and another shirt or so on underneath I settled on the XL.  Since I live relatively close to FISH307 I purchased these there.  Does anyone know how Fish307 is on returns.  If I decide that the XL jacket is too big I may opt to return it and go with the large, if they allow this...

Best regards and I am one happy and hopefully warm ice fisherman.

David

I just dealt with Fish307 on an exchange for the IDI jacket...No problem at all and great folks to deal with.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Fishmon

« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:32 PM »
I purchased the red one last year and I am very happy with it ;D.  It is warm, keeps wind out when you adjust it, and you can layer it if you buy it big enough.  Padded knees are great and water reisistant/proof.  Cuffs fit well and can be sealed up to keep the really nasty stuff out.  Best of all, it is lightweight compared to my old Cabellas down stuff which made me feel like the Michelin man and was too warm when you were active.  Bought it at Fish 307 and advice/service was great as usual.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2008, 10:33 AM »
;D Good choice as its a real nice suit.The only thing I don't like is the white fur over the pocket! I may try and take it off.I guess its for hooks (???) even though I wouldn't want them near my face or what I used it for is drying my wet fingers.Anyone here know the use of this?

The white patch is for hooks, and the guy I spoke with at IDI said it would be removed on next years jacket.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Does the I.D.I. suit really float as well as advertised?  Simply showing me a photo of the guy floating in the water doesn't tell me much as I could get any suit to do that for a short period of time.  The question in my mind is how long will it maintain bouancy once it gets soaked? 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:21 PM »
go on their website and you can see a video of a FOX NEWS caster actually being pushed off a dock and she floats for a long time. It dioes work!

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Does the I.D.I. suit really float as well as advertised?  Simply showing me a photo of the guy floating in the water doesn't tell me much as I could get any suit to do that for a short period of time.  The question in my mind is how long will it maintain bouancy once it gets soaked? 

If it were me, I'd wait till summer to try it out.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:13 AM »
If it were me, I'd wait till summer to try it out.
   VERY GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Well no luck on taking the white furry patch off the pocket.After looking it over I see that its sandwiched between the pocket flap so I will just leave it on.I just was looking at our local newspaper and see a picture of 1 of our local fishermen Guides on the Niagara River and guess what he was wearing? Yup- a RED & BLACK suit/ and it didn't say Strikemaster on it but could clearly read ARCTIC ARMOR! These guys used to all wear the orange Mustang suits but must like the Arctic Armor better.

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I just bought the blue suit for $175 last year and love it. However, last week on the local news they did a peice on the red suit. Now my wife has told me I'm going to work some overtime so I can buy the IDI red suit so I'll float. I hope I can sell my blue one for a somewhat decent price.

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I'm heading to the Arctic Armor main office in Pittsburgh on Friday to see the suits first hand.  Everything that I have read so far seems positive but i have sizing issues.  I'm 5'4" and 185#  -  I should have an at home seamstress for the money i spend a year on alterations.  I will advise on Saturday.
LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Offline kirkville1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:13 PM »
I want to get the idi for the flotation feature
Chris Jones
Team Panfish Persuaders
Navionics Ice Team

Offline ROY89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:01 PM »
My wife and I spent a couple hours at the Innovative Designs home office in Pittsburgh on Friday.  What a class act operation.  Great company with great people.  Greg Domain from IDI answered all of my questions and was extremely accommodating as i searched for the best size.  i settled on the Medium bibs and Medium jacket of the red Arctic Armor outfit.  This suit exudes quality - Pocket where you want them and excellent stitching.  This suit should provide many years or trouble free service.  I can't wait to try it in a couple weeks on Bay of Quinte.   
LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:12 PM »
You might look at Mustang Ice Riders.  Mustang's gear are designed to float and will drain quickly if you fall in and allows you warm up quickly.

I have both of these suits. I have had and still wear the Mustang Ice Rider suit.It is meant for snowmobiling as in lower temps it gets rather stiff.It is twice as heavy as the new Arctic Armor suits.No pockets to speak of either.The Arctic Armor is made for ice fishing with all the zippers and tons of pockets.They will both do the job of keeping you afloat though.Just made for difference purposes.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:01 PM »
This was my first season with the I.D.I. Artic Armor.  I can't say enough about it.  It is well worth the investment.  If it got real cold out...all I did was put the hood up.  Tough as nails.  Warmer than you can imagine.  Pockets in all the right places.  It floats so the wife doesn't have to worry as much.  I found myself leaving the shanty...cuzz I didn't need it.  So that makes it easier to hole hop...which in turn let me catch more fish.  You startin' to see the big picture yet?  Just go out and do yourself a favor and buy the suit.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:13 PM »
My Arctic Armor coat and bibs arrived today and I haven't even unpacked them yet. I guess I have time before I will need them.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Best investment to date   besides the icegator!    as far as that fuzzy strip   my wife took it off easy!  less than 5 min   and you just barely see a former white strip there on the bottom    Now it is an even better product!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #47 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Best investment to date   besides the icegator!    as far as that fuzzy strip   my wife took it off easy!  less than 5 min   and you just barely see a former white strip there on the bottom    Now it is an even better product!
will be taking mine off aswell...as it really serves no purpose except looking terrible!

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #48 on: Oct 17, 2008, 07:22 PM »
will be taking mine off aswell...as it really serves no purpose except looking terrible!

You mean it isn't a nose wiper???

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Love my ArticArmor suit camo, out in the boat on river first 38 degrees at night clear full moon with a light breeze stayed warm no cold infilrating anywhere on the suite stayed toasty warm.
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline sarniajeff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I feel so normal here!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Bought my Arctic Armor suit last year and will never regret it.
Great product that delivers it's claims.
Worth every penny!!!!

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #51 on: Nov 23, 2008, 05:52 PM »
 Just received mine in the mail a couple days ago! I know it will be worth every penny!
TEAM  PA.

Offline spaz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2008, 11:32 PM »
has anyone checked out the snosuits they look pretty cool.they`re black but they do cost just over 500$ ???

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 30, 2008, 06:53 PM »
do the IDI bibs have padded knees?
Photobucket can suck it

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:17 PM »
do the IDI bibs have padded knees?
They do.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:06 AM »
was going to get the wife a set  for snowmobiling   >:D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #56 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:23 PM »
has anyone checked out the snosuits they look pretty cool.they`re black but they do cost just over 500$ ???
   I bought the Arctic Armor and had enough left over to buy a pot load of ice fishing gear. I also like the idea of floating if I go through the ice.

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
Skeptic on the arctic armor?
« Reply #57 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I got my Arctic armor suit a couple of weeks ago..I finaly un-packed it and decided to put on the jacket and test it out..it wasn't to cold 25 deg 15mph winds...I had a light longsleeve shirt on.. it didn't seem to keep me that warm?  I could feel the arms actually getting chilly through the coat? ???  And i also could feel the cold come through at the top of my shoulders.. Is this normal?  Or do you need to have bibs on and be properly layered for this coat to be effective?  I put on my old army issue parka with the same shirt and was plenty warm...  Any advice from the existing owners....

Thanks

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:18 PM »
Db its looking like the Artic Armor suit is having  quality control issues. There is another thread started yesterday  "Artic Armor cold spots" many are having good luck and no complaints. Like you, I also and another small percentage are having the same experience. I tried contacting IDI Gear by email but no responce. We have an upcoming ice show this weakend in Minneapolis and IDI will be there and I will ask them to test the coat I have. Sneaky feeling I think they may know but wont remidy hoping it will go away.
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Was this issue ever resolved?  Interested in purchasing one of these
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.