New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346813 times)

Offline Trophyman1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11220 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Hi I'd like to try fishing lake George I've never fished here before I'd like to go out in million dollar Beach due to easy access are people running four wheelers on the lake is the ice thick enough and any advice would be greatly appreciate it I'd like to go for Lakers but don't think I can walk out to the deep water due to limited usage of one leg on the camera I see a lot of people fishing just off the beach at million dollar Beach would I be able to at least catch some perch

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11221 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Hi I'd like to try fishing lake George I've never fished here before I'd like to go out in million dollar Beach due to easy access are people running four wheelers on the lake is the ice thick enough and any advice would be greatly appreciate it I'd like to go for Lakers but don't think I can walk out to the deep water due to limited usage of one leg on the camera I see a lot of people fishing just off the beach at million dollar Beach would I be able to at least catch some perch

You can catch Lakers anywhere if you get lucky I've gotten them 20 feet off shore but generally the deeper you go the better. Invest some time and scroll back through the pages and you can learn tons about how to catch Lakers. Also always pay attention to the Lake it can go from 6 inches to 2 in only a few steps and there was a lot of open water last week.

The good news is it looks like yesterday's storm did some good and from my webcam it appears that the North End is beginning to lock up. There is still some open water out there but if the wind stays down it should hold.

Offline biggamefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11222 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Any body know the bubbler condition on huddle Beach rd? Can someone just walk on there or is there a better place to access?

Offline adkoutdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11223 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Any body know the bubbler condition on huddle Beach rd? Can someone just walk on there or is there a better place to access?
It’s fine, just follow the tracks from the shore past the dock. I’ve fished it a few times in the past two weeks.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11224 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:07 AM »
I use to keep a Permanent shanty out of Heart stone, I use to bring 2-3 buckets of sand and sand the Hill, this was in the 80s and 90s , Between myself and the Rabine of Fort Edward we took care of it. Theres so many more guys using this now , I don't understand them not bringing some sand and if a couple guys did this there wouldn't be an issue! Not that difficult!

After driving in there last week I was going to suggest that those who fish there bring in a bucket or two of sand, and was willing to do so myself. Then I got thinking about comments here about plowing liability, and the current road salt issue, and I figured it's best to just leave it be and hope DEC takes care of it.

Offline biggamefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11225 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:08 AM »
Thanks adkoutdoorsman

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11226 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:56 AM »
After driving in there last week I was going to suggest that those who fish there bring in a bucket or two of sand, and was willing to do so myself. Then I got thinking about comments here about plowing liability, and the current road salt issue, and I figured it's best to just leave it be and hope DEC takes care of it.

Having witnessed trucks sliding down that hill and crashing...with seemingly no impact to the folks that operate the campground I think its unlikely they will do anything.  I'm sure someone will help under the cover of darkness.  Just a matter of time.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11227 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Thins the a Herd. Don’t make it too easy. Be careful what you wish for. Etc.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11228 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:12 PM »
Thins the a Herd. Don’t make it too easy. Be careful what you wish for. Etc.
It’s all talk until your one from the herd who gets the thinning, I can guarantee you don’t put on chains or run studded tires just to get down the campsite? Accidents can happen to anyone at any time your being arrogant 

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11229 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:53 PM »
According to the LGA The King is locked.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11230 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:56 PM »

Sweet.  Global warming loses this year.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11231 on: Feb 11, 2021, 02:13 PM »

Definitely not safe to walk on in a lot of places.... and 21 years ago you did not have a million gallons per minute of warm water getting pumped into it....

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11232 on: Feb 11, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Any recommendations for easy access to drag my flipover into lake trout waters?  I’ve avoided hearthstone due to my concerns of not make it back up that hill in my SUV.

I’ve typically gone to vets for perch but seems like you gotta take quite a hike to get to laker territory.

Huletts landing or million dollar beach worth checking out? Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Huletts would be my best bet in terms of the drag. Once you get into 40 fow you can start finding lakers. also the 70' flat should be within a 15 min walk of the launch for you.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11233 on: Feb 11, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Definitely not safe to walk on in a lot of places.... and 21 years ago you did not have a million gallons per minute of warm water getting pumped into it....

Do you have more info on that?  What million gallons?  From what source...pumped in how? 

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11234 on: Feb 11, 2021, 04:29 PM »
      I DO have studded tires all around. Every winter since ‘95. Great insurance, cheaper than my deductible for one fender bender and a get few good years out of every new set.
       Also, my driveway is over a couple hundred yards down hill to the river, dirt and gravel. Difficult, and go through too many shear bolts with snowblower so I keep it packed down. First snow/s I drive back and forth and with turf roller to pack it down so it freezes up and have a smooth rockless base to snowblow nice and easy rest of winter. It gets to be like a Bobsled track. Never sand or salt, I like it. So NO, I don’t have studded tires just to go down the campsite.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11235 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Truck crashed and multiple cars stuck this afternoon at hearthstone,troopers whole nine yards..definitely use caution if no 4wd would hate to see gate closed again..

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11236 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Thats a shame to read that.  2wd or 4wd cars crashed?

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11237 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:02 PM »
I guess an SUV got stuck coming up hill. Then a pickup truck lost control on hill coming down and had to swerve off into the ditch sideways to avoid a head on collision w the suv,I assume all wheel and 4wd but not positive. Definitely wasn’t fun getting out haha. Hopefully some of the other areas of deeper water will freeze a little more solid w the next few nights in the single digits..

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11238 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:06 AM »
      I DO have studded tires all around. Every winter since ‘95. Great insurance, cheaper than my deductible for one fender bender and a get few good years out of every new set.
       Also, my driveway is over a couple hundred yards down hill to the river, dirt and gravel. Difficult, and go through too many shear bolts with snowblower so I keep it packed down. First snow/s I drive back and forth and with turf roller to pack it down so it freezes up and have a smooth rockless base to snowblow nice and easy rest of winter. It gets to be like a Bobsled track. Never sand or salt, I like it. So NO, I don’t have studded tires just to go down the campsite.

Sooo like I mentioned your not driving miles on unplowed roads with studs to get to the campsite, all that typing and the point went over your head

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11239 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:20 AM »
AND I’m pretty sure studs are illegal in Michigan and Wisconsin where it’s cold and roads are often more snow packed then most parts of the adks they eat up the roads

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11240 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:35 AM »
Scanning maps of LG for new spots. I see there is a Sabbath Day Point Overlook where cars can pull to the side of the road.

Anyone know if this gets plowed and would be a reasonable place to get on the lake?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11241 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:56 AM »
Scanning maps of LG for new spots. I see there is a Sabbath Day Point Overlook where cars can pull to the side of the road.

Anyone know if this gets plowed and would be a reasonable place to get on the lake?

No access to the lake from there.
It’s a long ways down hill to the water/ice... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #11242 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:20 AM »
  No access to the lake from there.
It’s a long ways down hill to the water/ice... ;)
Very long, steep, unplowed, private.  But the pullover has a nice view of the lake.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11243 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:23 AM »
Heading up tomorrow morning.  I see snow cover on the cam's. What's the latest with both snow cover and ice thickness?  Likely headed near Harris tomorrow am with a quad. Thank for any info. See ya on the ice tomorrow :tipup: @)

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11244 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:54 AM »
I'm on the lake rn.  I measure 6" of ice a bit north of million dollar. About 2-3" of snow shouldn't be an issue for a quad, but made walking more difficult. Saw 3 sleds just go past me. 

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11245 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Any word on ice conditions in the Pilot Knob / Fort Ann Beach area? Thx

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11246 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Any word on ice conditions in the Pilot Knob / Fort Ann Beach area? Thx
People parking all over the place there.... don't be surprised if they start handing out tickets... they have to be able to get emergency vehicles past the snow plow turn around and parking in the middle of the road doesn't fly.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11247 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Let them get tickets.  If you're not parked improperly who cares.  This topic has come up ever season for the past decade and it never changes.  Just another good year on the king.

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11248 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:35 PM »
I'm on the lake rn.  I measure 6" of ice a bit north of million dollar. About 2-3" of snow shouldn't be an issue for a quad, but made walking more difficult. Saw 3 sleds just go past me.

Thanks for the update!

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11249 on: Feb 12, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Anyone been out of town of Hague yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.