New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346721 times)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9870 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:11 PM »
had some luck keeping the bait right on the bottom and twitching last weekend. Just another tactic when they won't Chase

What do you use on the bottom? A spoon with some meat or plastics ?

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9871 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:20 AM »
😆😆😆 dynamite drop in! But I seriously hope nobody was fishing in there went it let go.
[/quote

Watching news right now shanty is still in  tact he said it blew approx 100 yds. down the lake. Now face down but in 1 piece

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9872 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Another skunking today outta hearthstone today, covered over a mile in n heavy wind and only 2 chasers all day to show for it.  Past two days have been slow for sure, I’d wager they are hungry tomorrow though as weather is becoming stable, wish I had another day off soon.
@spoondangler were u able to drive down the hill at hearthstone or was it too icy?
Hunting trouts.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9873 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:01 AM »
@spoondangler were u able to drive down the hill at hearthstone or was it too icy?

Yeah it was icy but you could make it down fairly easily.  People with trailered stuff stayed up top

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #9874 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Anyone on the lake today that got to saw the 2 F-16 fighter jets fly by , they came over our shacks less then 200 yards in the sky ! Crazy!

Offline Iceman241

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9875 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Going out on Lake George this weekend to fish for lakers in the AM and perch in the afternoon.  Would anyone mind giving me some advice on key depths I should be targeting or anything else worth knowing.  Thanks

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9876 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Going out on Lake George this weekend to fish for lakers in the AM and perch in the afternoon.  Would anyone mind giving me some advice on key depths I should be targeting or anything else worth knowing.  Thanks

34'

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9877 on: Feb 27, 2019, 04:56 PM »

For lakers I like to get in at least 50 feet of water.  for perch I go shallower 10-30 feet. Don't forget to set a few tip-ups with bait just below the ice for salmon.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9878 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I've been fishing mid 40's and plenty of both out of the same hole if you want them. Usually I play keep away when the lakers show up but my wife just bought a smoker and wanted me to bring here a trout to smoke. The one I decided to catch today was just shy of 30", kinda wished it was smaller ;D

Offline Iceman241

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9879 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Last time I was up that way I had a tough time finding fish and the ones I did mark weren’t very active.  I was starting to wonder if I was wasting my time targeting the wrong areas but perhaps it was just an off day.  Excited to give it another go!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9880 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:19 PM »
I didn't notice any replies to my question that posted earlier...try again.
I have caught plenty of lakers that have the brilliant white under belly and fin tips. The 24" stocky fish that I posted earlier on , had no white and was green with gold hughes. Absolutely beautiful fish with the bright gold colors, caught in 90 fow and had an empty stomach...has anyone else caught a gold variant? any ideas of the color variation?
Thanks

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9881 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:14 PM »
I have caught plenty of lakers that have the brilliant white under belly and fin tips. The 24" stocky fish that I posted earlier on , had no white and was green with gold hughes. Absolutely beautiful fish with the bright gold colors, caught in 90 fow and had an empty stomach...has anyone else caught a gold variant? any ideas of the color variation?
Thanks

My last laker i caught in LG had some gold hue's to it on the sides but it was still a white belly. I noticed the fish from Tupper that ive seen friends catch, as well as those ive caught personally on Raquette lake, have both been really dark fish (dark browns/greens) with bright gold under bellies. I always attributed it to the tannin's in the water. 

These were all caught on Raquette when i was up a couple weeks ago with a friend.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9882 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:12 AM »
how much snow at huddle bay after storm ?

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9883 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Thanks

A handful of years ago. A member on here caught a completely gold laker. Entire trout was this gold color. Albino laker. Not sure if the photo still exists but it was very cool.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9884 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Thanks

I have seen this color variation in NH on our lakers. I don’t know the reason, but possibly forage, spawning colors,  or water tannins as was mentioned already.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9885 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I believe there is 2 different strains of lakers in LG

AM

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9886 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:56 PM »
I believe there is 2 different strains of lakers in LG

Stockers are normally lighter almost silver natives are darker

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9887 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Although not quite relevant to the discussion specific to LG, thought you’d enjoy seeing a few brilliantly colored specimens from last summer. I bumped into a small pod while jigging and all 4 fish I caught in that one spot had these markings!

Offline harpoonlocke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9888 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Although not quite relevant to the discussion specific to LG, thought you’d enjoy seeing a few brilliantly colored specimens from last summer. I bumped into a small pod while jigging and all 4 fish I caught in that one spot had these markings!

Love those orange fins!
Check out the blog aacfishing.blogspot.co m

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9889 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:57 PM »
The darker ones I believe are the Raquette Lake strain.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9890 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:15 PM »
They have not stocked lake trout in Lake George in years....

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9891 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:51 PM »

Nice fish Mike! Some nice healthy fish!
AM

JJ

« Reply #9892 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Lake trout have not been stocked in LG since the 1980s, but they did stock for many years and not always from the same source. The two main ones were the Finger Lake strain from Seneca and the Adirondack strain from Raquette; I believe some stockings may have come from other sources (US F&W) if there was a shortage. So there are many different phenotypes (appearance) in there. Usually the deeper fish are lighter in color and the darker ones come suspended or shallower, could be the strain but trout coloration can also vary based on environment. Diet also has an effect. There is so much variety in the appearance of LG lakers, some have big spots, some have small spots and some have very tiny ones; seen some beauties with vermiculations like brookies or tiger trout.

This is the most spectacularly colored laker I have seen from LG , caught in 2017, that's out of at least 25,000 of them that I have handled over the years. Wasn't a keeper, so was relased and may still be out there

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9893 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:49 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Pics like that are always relevant! Nice ones.  How are you catching them in the summer, same sort of tactics?

I’ve tried a couple times on summer bass trips, but usually stop pretty quickly and all I’ve got is perch.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9894 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Spoondangler, these fish are from Kensico Reservoir in lower Westchester county. We basically row VERY slowly, almost drift, until we mark fish and then quickly drop jigs on them (spoons, tubes, plastics) and either bounce bottom or in the case of suspended fish, work them the same way as in the winter. If it’s windy I throw out a drift sock to slow us down but still bounce along bottom! Works pretty good!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #9895 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:46 AM »
how much snow at huddle bay after storm ?
                 If you look at the web cam of Huddle it looks like there is about 4 or 5 inches of snow.

IW

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9896 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I plan on going to Harris bay this weekend for some perch ! How’s the Harris bay parking ? Wondering if I should park at the bay or atv over from mdb. Wasn’t sure on the parking situation

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9897 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Anybody taking machines from vets across to the narrows?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9898 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:29 PM »
I plan on going to Harris bay this weekend for some perch ! How’s the Harris bay parking ? Wondering if I should park at the bay or atv over from mdb. Wasn’t sure on the parking situation

If you have a machine and dont mind the ride youd be doing others a favor to park at MDB.  If you do park on the road...make sure you are off to the side enough or else!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9899 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:35 PM »
I wasn’t sure on the parking. Does the area have a parking lot ? Or is it all street parking ?  I’ll have Rowan with me. He likes a long ride lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.