New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346678 times)

Offline leosco333

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9150 on: Jan 26, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Looking for ice reports . What bays have people been on recently and how much ice.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9151 on: Jan 26, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Wow a lake George walleye!  Incredible!

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #9152 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Jon it looks like an Onieda burbot!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9153 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Caught this mystery fish...not sure what it is.

Looks a little short from 40” 🤣🤣

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9154 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Jon I'll call it a splake.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9155 on: Jan 26, 2019, 02:10 PM »

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9156 on: Jan 26, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Looks a little short from 40” 🤣🤣

😂 did he send you a pm also bashing your catch and saying he would only post pics of fish 40 inch plus ?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9157 on: Jan 26, 2019, 03:43 PM »
😂 did he send you a pm also bashing your catch and saying he would only post pics of fish 40 inch plus ?

No. I just know he wants a LG 40” real bad 🤣

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9158 on: Jan 26, 2019, 05:50 PM »

No. I just know he wants a LG 40” real bad 🤣
Who wouldn’t want a 40” laker

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9159 on: Jan 26, 2019, 05:56 PM »
This ahe along with the site has become a joke.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #9160 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Fished Harris bay today. 8-10 inches of ice. No snow on the ice. The perch were biting.  ;D
Master Laker taker.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9161 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:25 PM »
10 inches already, nice. 

Offline TomnJay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9162 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Any word on safe ice after the storm? Tried ice fishing for the first time last year and got *hooked immediately. We are still learning the lay of the land with ice safety but usually fish up by Hearthstone.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9163 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Uhhh didn’t think lg had these?!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #9164 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:27 PM »

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #9165 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:53 PM »
How pronounced was the fork in the tail? It looks like a really light laker. It's not a LL salmon or brown or brookie, coloration is really off to be a splake (plus no dots in the spots)

Pretty sure it is a red ear bluegill perch.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9166 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Uhhh didn’t think lg had these?!

Ahhh the elusive LG walleye!
AM

Offline korushka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9167 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Has anyone been off of Pilot Knob?

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9168 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Sauger?

Offline 15 inches of Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9169 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:00 AM »

Sorry I know drones are obnoxious but it is a pretty sight.  This is yesterday

Offline grandpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9170 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Just got off huddle bay with my limit of perch had 4 to 5 inches of ice saw people out by dome.  ;D

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9171 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:29 PM »
4 guys just got off Lake George east side, absolute dink fest, only cleaned about 60 perch out of the 4 of us 10 inch or more, cutting 7 inches of ice but not solid ice. Has anyone experienced such a small size of perch it was ridiculous. Every drop was a perch but 9 inches or under. Wind did pick up made it ugly. It was nice to have our 1st beer drinking perch filleting of the year. Walk back definitely harder than walk in with the snow fall. Tungsten jigs 30 foot of water. Anyone care to share an honest recap of their day.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9172 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:35 PM »
4 guys just got off Lake George east side, absolute dink fest, only cleaned about 60 perch out of the 4 of us 10 inch or more, cutting 7 inches of ice but not solid ice. Has anyone experienced such a small size of perch it was ridiculous. Every drop was a perch but 9 inches or under. Wind did pick up made it ugly. It was nice to have our 1st beer drinking perch filleting of the year. Walk back definitely harder than walk in with the snow fall. Tungsten jigs 30 foot of water. Anyone care to share an honest recap of their day.

In my opinion you had a good day if you guys had 60 over 10 inches between 4 people. I had my limit last week out of huddle and I probably only had 5 that were over 10”. Most in the 8-10” range. The past few years seems to have been this way for me especially early ice in January. Late feb/March and you start to get more of the big females.

Offline deerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9173 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:49 PM »
  Yes honestly it sucked.  Threw back a ton of small ones. Fished 6:50 until noon and ended day with 10 or so keepers with 4 guys. Huddle bay 8+ inches of ice.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9174 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Yes we are definitely seeing a trend in smaller fish over the last few years, we definitely like to keep the bigger ones but at the same time we like to return the big females, maybe its because I stink at filleting the smaller fish but they do make awesome finger foods if done right. Huddle used to be our go to before we got a place on the lake. I did try spoons and minnow or gulp heads to try to get bigger fish but it really didn't work that well, bright ugly tungsten 5mm worked best. They only thing I noticed is the higher you got the fish to come the bigger they were. We caught some pie plate sunnies today that was fun.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9175 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:14 PM »
lets say on average there are 50 perch ice fisherman a day on Lake George. If each fisherman keeps his limit of 50 fish, that is 2,500 fish a day. Now lets say that the lake is ice fishable for 60 days. 2,500 x 60 = 150,000 fish!!!!!   That's not counting what is caught during open water  or the poachers who take more than their fair share.   I personally feel that they should reduce the limit to 25 fish per day. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9176 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Tough on the lake trout today. Lots of chasers and very few takers. Got to try out the smitty with the fresh snow. I would have died without it! They should be chomping tomorrow!

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9177 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:31 PM »
adkRoy do you feel we have an over harvest of breeder fish 9-14 inches or can an argument be made that there is an overpopulation of perch causing stunted growth like deer and or un-managed bass ponds. I am a SUNY Cobleskill fisheries grad. Definitely a huge fisheries to manage, I am always for tight limits if data can proof it, its obvious you care about the Lake George fishery its nice to see. Its such a difficult topic in NY to prevent overharvesting always have those guys who take everything. In Tupper we call people like that Acid Raid since they kill more than that.   

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9178 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I see this not only on Lake George, but other lakes too with other fish.  A lot of the small lakes in the Adirondacks have been getting really hammered the last few years because: A.) they freeze first and everyone is out to fish early as possible. B.) They will freeze in warmer winters when the bigger lakes don't, or C.) everyone fishes them because they are easier to fish.   

I used to go to some of these smaller lakes because it was easier for my wife who is disabled to access them. we used to catch lots each time we went( never kept any). Then boom, these lakes became known as first freeze lakes. Everyone rushed to them sometimes as early as late November.  The past few years I'm lucky if I get 1 flag and a couple of pan fish on them. I stopped going. I have also seen the average size of fish like pickerel, pike, perch, trout, etc decrease also. 

Now what would I like to see to solve this problem?
1.) Reduce the limit to 25 fish a day
2.) Have a slot limit, for different species, different sizes. 
3.) A rotating catch a release program for different lakes.  For example, make a small lake catch and release only every other year.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9179 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:54 PM »
lets say on average there are 50 perch ice fisherman a day on Lake George. If each fisherman keeps his limit of 50 fish, that is 2,500 fish a day. Now lets say that the lake is ice fishable for 60 days. 2,500 x 60 = 150,000 fish!!!!!   That's not counting what is caught during open water  or the poachers who take more than their fair share.   I personally feel that they should reduce the limit to 25 fish per day.

Not much compares to the millions upon millions of perch in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.