New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346715 times)

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8580 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Just curious... I don't fish Lk George much, but wondering from the guys that do.  Have the resent winters that have not allowed much fishing made a difference in the size of perch that you guys are catching?  I know that last year there was a lot of buzz about the fish being allowed to grow up.  Personally, I tend to think that a good winter that allows fish to be caught would then allow the remaining fish to feed heavy giving you better fish next season.   Again, just curious as to how this has all played out.

I can usually find some huge perch throughout the season, 13-15". This year, I don't think I broke 12" and there weren't many of them. Seemed as though, especially in the beginning of the season, 99% were 9".

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8581 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:06 AM »
I didn’t even try for perch this year on lg lakers are too much fun !

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8582 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I can usually find some huge perch throughout the season, 13-15". This year, I don't think I broke 12" and there weren't many of them. Seemed as though, especially in the beginning of the season, 99% were 9".

Same here, it was the year of the 9" perch on lg. Shoulda just stayed at brant  ::)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8583 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 AM »
I was down in lg during the summer and watched a huge school of perch swim by a dock. It was pretty crazy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many perch in one spot. The lake definitely have a huge population

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8584 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Did anyone find a jigging rod out on the ice yesterday? Went out of Hearthstone, would’ve been a celcius rod with a shimano reel

Didnt see one and was off pretty late in the afternoon. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8585 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Hopefully you get your rod back ! I had the same issue once. But I noticed , back tracked miles and found it. I keep my rods all in a cheap rifle case now It fits in the sled nice and is easy to spot of it jumps out of the sled. You can pick them up on amazon for like 25 bucks. I fit 10 rods in mine

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8586 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Sled cover.  Best 40 bucks I've ever spent.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8587 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:16 PM »

Definitely need a cover . I still look back to make sure nothin is falling out when I hit a bump going 45mph with the cover on. I kinda made holders for all my gear in my sled that also helps.

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8588 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Anyone been out in Harris bay today. I have a chance to get out tomorrow and just wanted to know the conditions before driving up. Thanks

Offline robalero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8589 on: Feb 26, 2018, 02:36 PM »

Ditto.  Lots and lots of perch, almost all 9" or less, none over 12".  Many of the 9-inchers were females with well developed roe sacks.  That suggests stunting from over-population.

Offline JiggnWithIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8590 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Any updates on vets? Have the chance to go tomorrow

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8591 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:00 PM »
I've done my share of harvesting perch and experienced the same.
I kept track on the white board in the kitchen this year and have cleaned a foolish amount of perch this season.
I don't think a single one broke the 12" mark. Harris was foolish with quick limits of 8" fish, but even my "out of the way" perch beds elsewhere were 99% 9" fish. I've never had so many limits of fish come so easily, but they were really small. 
Keeping track of my fastest times really lights a fire to get 50 done in a hurry. 1:05 with an electric knife.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8592 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:03 PM »
I kept track on the white board in the kitchen this year and have cleaned a foolish amount of perch this season.
I don't think a single one broke the 12" mark. Harris was foolish with quick limits of 8" fish, but even my "out of the way" perch beds elsewhere were 99% 9" fish. I've never had so many limits of fish come so easily, but they were really small. 
Keeping track of my fastest times really lights a fire to get 50 done in a hurry. 1:05 with an electric knife.  ;D

That's been my experience this year right down to the 1 hour electric knife filet time for a 50 perch limit :tipup:  Never got a 13" perch all season and usually get a handful of those. 

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8593 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:55 PM »
i don’t even want to say how long I was in the garage the other night I cursed you out a little to myself in the process 😭😂🤙

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8594 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:57 PM »

That's been my experience this year right down to the 1 hour electric knife filet time for a 50 perch limit :tipup:  Never got a 13" perch all season and usually get a handful of those.

We got one each trip the last two trips out of vets. And quite a few more 10" fish then early year. Wish the ice would hold for a few more weeks for the big ones to move in.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8595 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:35 PM »

Definitely need a cover . I still look back to make sure nothin is falling out when I hit a bump going 45mph with the cover on. I kinda made holders for all my gear in my sled that also helps.

Yes. A cover makes a big difference towards using a machine.  Dragging through slop only to fill your sled with water is not protective of the gear inside.
All around in general anyway.
I have hardside rod cases that id dump in a minute. Find them useless for transport,  only good for storage purpose.
Now I got to get my covers silkscreened.
Coming next season:)
Also helps with front and back orientation

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8596 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:46 PM »
That will be sick RJ!

Offline rugerone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8597 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:57 PM »
That will leave a " Ripple " effect !

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8598 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:23 PM »
My daughter in law has a silkscreen press  It will happen for sure. She makes sweet shirts already
Not sure if it will be a space your face or steal your face.
Once we do it , I'll let all know how it works out and durability on that fabric.
If all good, I think she would be cool with doing custom silkscreen covers. . Share freely,  not for sale.

Fishmon

« Reply #8599 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Didnt see one and was off pretty late in the afternoon.

I do some diving during summer on LG and have seen schools of perch on grass beds that are incredible.  I laugh when people say ice fishermen are harming the population.  There are a gazillion perch in the lake.  If anything, the size people are catching may be an indication of some stunting.  However, I have seen some whoppers out there along with northern pike that are freshwater barracudas.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8600 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:51 AM »
I do some diving during summer on LG and have seen schools of perch on grass beds that are incredible.  I laugh when people say ice fishermen are harming the population.  There are a gazillion perch in the lake.  If anything, the size people are catching may be an indication of some stunting.  However, I have seen some whoppers out there along with northern pike that are freshwater barracudas.

+1

You can't appreciate what a school of perch really is until you're surround by a moving mass of hundreds or thousands of them.  Amazing.

Tight lines,
Bob

Fishmon

« Reply #8601 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Oops!  My bad.  I meant to refer to quote by Full Throttle earlier noting perch school near dock.  Would also note that I have seen them as deep as 60 feet.  At any rate, there are a lot of them out there.  Most ice fishermen don't get to fish remote areas of the lake where there are massive grass beds holding tons of fish.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #8602 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:12 AM »
There are IMO, Way too many Perch in the Lake , They need to open up the Daily Limits to get the Numbers in check, The size has been getting smaller by the years , Yes there still are some nice perch but for the amount of Perch caught and the size avg. I'd say they are stunted
Paul

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8603 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:07 AM »
I'd be overjoyed to get out one more time this season. Any info on ice conditions, anywhere to get on for perch. Bixby shoreline is cracking up and I think basically finished. Would like to go somewhere on Saturday morning. Thanks.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8604 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:08 AM »

I agree with you. I am a open water diver as well and have dove on LG, although only once... but it is completely amazing the schools of perch and smallies in that lake. What is also amazing is the amount of senkos/ rubber worms litering the bottom on the bottom of some of those glacier ledges.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8605 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:37 AM »
They should ban bass fishing then no more senkos/ rubber worms.   ;)

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8606 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I agree with you. I am a open water diver as well and have dove on LG, although only once... but it is completely amazing the schools of perch and smallies in that lake. What is also amazing is the amount of senkos/ rubber worms litering the bottom on the bottom of some of those glacier ledges.

I was cleaning fish a few weeks ago and found a whole senko inside a 12" perch. Looked mighty uncomfortable. :o

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8607 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:56 AM »
They should ban bass fishing then no more senkos/ rubber worms.   ;)

They should only allow biodegradable plastics IMO.

I am not a senko/ worm user so that doesn’t bother me lol

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #8608 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Friends don't let friends use senkos or fish for bass :D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8609 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:44 AM »
They should only allow biodegradable plastics IMO.

I am not a senko/ worm user so that doesn’t bother me lol

The anti fishermen would love that rehtoric.   ::)

I'm with you Slipbob unless those bass have stripes! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.