New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346669 times)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7950 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:48 PM »
My PB 37" saw a guy put a 44" on the ice same day both caught on dead Cisco, big Cisco's over 16" we used to get up at Anthony's nose 25 years ago. Mine was caught near the bottom in 180' the 44" was caught just under the ice over 180'. I agree that big baits will more often catch bigger fish but I have seen quite a few +30" fish caught on icicles and hunts too also have seen many 22" fish take 14" Cisco.

Been down with the flu for the last 9 days now have bronchitis fml!  can't wait to get back out on the king and add to my laker tally. Good luck out there this weekend folks stay safe

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7951 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Anyone been off vets recently?
Lines tight and flags up

Offline Molsenice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7952 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Finally...

Got ducks in a row for Sunday.

Futures so bright I gotta Wear shades.

And the forcast

Offline Toyotaguy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7953 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:45 PM »
thats what I am talking about. LG?
yeah lake George. Captain Joe Greco of justy Joe charters.great guy and even better fisherman.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7954 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Ventured to a ledge in mdb fairly steep to 53 FOW took a few mins but started marking a couple lakers... seemed sluggish wouldn’t really move off the bottom it was around 3pm but anyone else have trouble getting them interested today?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7955 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:06 PM »
yeah lake George. Captain Joe Greco of justy Joe charters.great guy and even better fisherman.

Yeah, I know joe...

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7956 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Ventured to a ledge in mdb fairly steep to 53 FOW took a few mins but started marking a couple lakers... seemed sluggish wouldn’t really move off the bottom it was around 3pm but anyone else have trouble getting them interested today?

We were not very far from mdb today and we had 30+ chasers today and not a single laker would hit our jigs! Man today was one of the most frustrating days ive had on LG... we were marking alot of bait near bottom as well. The Lakers would just not commit to anything we threw down at them. Some of them would chase it 3-4 times in a row and they had no interest in opening their steel traps today for us. >:( ...

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7957 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:18 PM »
We were not very far from mdb today and we had 30+ chasers today and not a single laker would hit our jigs! Man today was one of the most frustrating days ive had on LG... we were marking alot of bait near bottom as well. The Lakers would just not commit to anything we threw down at them. Some of them would chase it 3-4 times in a row and they had no interest in opening their steel traps today for us. >:( ...
Tailing it 20-30 ft. with no line separation and still wouldn't hit. You thought they'd ran out of the cone until you stopped and watch them descend. Sometimes they'd even scream 25-30 off the bottom on a dead stick or slight jigging and as soon as you started pulling it away, back down they went. Never experimented anything like it. There's a couple things that i didn't try, but wish i had, looking back on it.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #7958 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:27 PM »
I had a slow day with five hits and two landed.  I was probably 1:2 on fish committing; it was a general lack of fish in the area that was the trouble.  They were ignoring my large dead baits but were willing to clobber the tiny jigging Rapala (UV glow perch pattern) I kept just above the perch.

All hits happened after noon, by the way...

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7959 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:32 PM »
I find that when the Lakers are tight lipped like that best thing to do is go tiny tiny jigs with a very subtle presentation lighter line helps too

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7960 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I'm strictly a perch guy  but someday I'll go play around with the lakers in deeper water. I went out the last 3 days and went 3 for 4 on lakers the first 2 days. Didn't see a single one today but didn't fish for much over an hour to get my perch today.
 I guess I can't resist playing with them when they show up on the screen but I agree with Logan that they love those tiny perch jigs. It's very seldom that I can't get them to bite, probably different when you're fishing deep water though.
 Had one a couple days ago that  didn't take it until the jig was about  5' under the ice...that was fun  ;D

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7961 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Hopefully Tomorrow will be better I haven’t seen one school of bait how deep are they right now

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7962 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:05 PM »
I have a theory that the reason more really big lakers aren't caught is that they like really big bait.  A 20" sucker or cisco would be about right.  They want a meal, not a snack.  They'd have to feed all day if they were eating smelt.  They gobble up a big meal, then go back and sit on the bottom for a few days--don't eat very often.  That's my 2 cents.

Caught both my 20lb lakers thru the ice on 1/4oz head with less than 3" plastics. Both hit immediately without any chase.  First was from LG 2012, second in Colorado 2016.  Both were suspended (aka on the hunt). My theory is that big lakers eat anything they see and cruise a lot.  Small bait, big bait, whatever, so long as its in front of their face and easy.  Theyd prpbably try to eat your cell phone on a hook if it was presented. Similar to a horse, takes a lot of calories to reach and  maintain that size.  Its more about right place right time (aka luck) than size of bait when it comes to the biggins.  More big lakers arent caught because fishing pressure on LG thru the ice is on the rise and people keep big fish.  A year or two ago on here couple dudes posted pics of multiple 32"+ lakers caught and kept.  Takes 30+ years to grow a 20+ pounder.  Send em back down the hole.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7963 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:40 PM »
Elephants eat penuts, I've caught 4 lakers over 15lbs from lake George 3 came on spoons that were less than 3" while trolling and 1 came on an icicle a few ft under ice on a salmon set. Before the bait laws I had a spot near my house where I could easily catch 8-12" suckers and used them often. Using big baits I caught a lot of fish that weren't even legal. I fish the lake a couple times a week summer and winter and have never caught a laker over 10lbs on the bottom.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7964 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:43 PM »
Elephants eat penuts, I've caught 4 lakers over 15lbs from lake George 3 came on spoons that were less than 3" while trolling and 1 came on an icicle a few ft under ice on a salmon set. Before the bait laws I had a spot near my house where I could easily catch 8-12" suckers and used them often. Using big baits I caught a lot of fish that weren't even legal. I fish the lake a couple times a week summer and winter and have never caught a laker over 10lbs on the bottom.

Exactly, like the 9" perch that keeps trying tp stuff a medium sucker on a tip up down its gullet
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7965 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:48 PM »
I find that when the Lakers are tight lipped like that best thing to do is go tiny tiny jigs with a very subtle presentation lighter line helps too

Yup.  I have an all floro spool 4lb test Ill use.  Helps too if you use something they can pick up off the bottom. 

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7966 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:22 AM »
Words of Wisdom TimK

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #7967 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:05 AM »

Two weeks ago I caught a 29" Laker with a Fathead under the ice that was set up for Salmon. And this week I caught
           a Laker with a dead  Fathead laying on the bottom!

IW

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7968 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:13 AM »
Can you launch wheelers at the MDB parking lot?
Yes
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7969 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Has there ever been a 40”+ laker caught on LG ?
There's a picture and a newspaper article on the wall of the Ranger Station at Glen Island of a really big one caught years ago(70's or 80's) Can't remember the size exactly but I believe it was bigger than any one mentioned on here.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Fishmon

« Reply #7970 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:34 AM »
My PB is a 32 incher caught on a fin S minnow while perch fishing.  Took forever to get him in.  Hooked right in lip, easy and quick release.  Best I have seen is a 40 incher caught on a dead ciscoe on bottom.  Guy that caught it also released it after a quick picture. Beast was a real fatty.

His only flag of the day!  Good sportsman.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7971 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:03 PM »
There's a picture and a newspaper article on the wall of the Ranger Station at Glen Island of a really big one caught years ago(70's or 80's) Can't remember the size exactly but I believe it was bigger than any one mentioned on here.

For years, the state record was a 32 lb. laker caught in Lake Placid, maybe?  One of my fishing buddies lived in Bolton Ldg. and fished the ice a lot.  I remember him telling me of more than one 30+ lb. laker caught in the southern basin that were entered in local contests in that area.  We used to talk about it all the time, thinking that since they had stopped the smelt dipping in L. George tributaries, the smelt must be doing better than ever and a new record would be caught in L. George soon.  That was several years ago...

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7972 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I would really like to se a slot limit on LG with a lowered minimum size. Say 2 fish 21-25 nothing 25-30 and be allowed one 30+ as long as you don't already have 2.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7973 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I would really like to se a slot limit on LG with a lowered minimum size. Say 2 fish 21-25 nothing 25-30 and be allowed one 30+ as long as you don't already have 2.

Funny you mention that...   I was out this morning and caught two; one 25" and one 24".  I've been fishing Lake George year-around for about 45 years now and I don't ever recall catching a laker under 21 or 22 inches.  If I had to guess the average size of the lakers I've caught in my lifetime, I'd say it was in the high twenties.   I've never seen a small one.  Has anyone ever caught a 12" lake trout?

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7974 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:22 PM »
My thought being that the lakers on the smaller side are better for eating anyways, and I catch a lot of 27-28" lakers, there seems to be a lot just short of 30. It would be nice if more of those high 20s fish could get over 30.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7975 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:23 PM »
And here is the smallest laker I ever caught it was in 120' of water jigging for ciscoes.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7976 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:24 PM »
And here is the smallest laker I ever caught it was in 120' of water jigging for ciscoes.

Cool!  I've never seen a little one!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7977 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:21 PM »
I have a theory that the reason more really big lakers aren't caught is that they like really big bait.  A 20" sucker or cisco would be about right.  They want a meal, not a snack.  They'd have to feed all day if they were eating smelt.  They gobble up a big meal, then go back and sit on the bottom for a few days--don't eat very often.  That's my 2 cents.

I dont know about that. 55+" muskies get caught by walleye fishermen all the time up here. 15lb walleyes by perch fishermen. And i am no lake trout or lake george guru, but ive heard many members on here clsim there biggest fish came perch fishing.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7978 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Funny you mention that...   I was out this morning and caught two; one 25" and one 24".  I've been fishing Lake George year-around for about 45 years now and I don't ever recall catching a laker under 21 or 22 inches.  If I had to guess the average size of the lakers I've caught in my lifetime, I'd say it was in the high twenties.   I've never seen a small one.  Has anyone ever caught a 12" lake trout?

Tight lines,
Bob

Bob, I have never caught a 12” laker, but my deepest laker ever on LG was also my smallest. It was a strange thing. On the bottom in 180’ and 17”.

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7979 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:45 PM »
My smallest ever laker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.