New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346839 times)

JJ

Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7680 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Thanx for the report JJ. Wonder what's going to happen to the ice with the wind that's forecast....

Ice was still holding in Diamond Point at sunset, couldn't see very far up the lake though. Took an ATV ride up the mountain to a good overlook but couldn't see any water with the blowing snow, pretty much a whiteout.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #7681 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:52 AM »
I scooped up that new Nero auger that HT put out this year in a 7".
I need more time to claim it cuts better than a Finbore or Nils, but I will say that jigging through a 7" hole is an absolute game changer. No one likes cutting an 8" by hand. 7" seems to be a beautiful sweet spot.
The design they used to fold the auger certainly trumps any other foldable auger. I don't get paid by these guys, but I think some of you will feel the same. 307 has them in. I'm scooping a 5" next week for perching. How well it works with the drill is yet to be determined.
                Hand augers are good to a point, but when the ice gets thicker it can be a chore, especially when you have to
                drill a lot of holes, like you when you have your sons with you!  ::)

IW

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7682 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:52 AM »
Ice was still holding in Diamond Point at sunset, couldn't see very far up the lake though. Took an ATV ride up the mountain to a good overlook but couldn't see any water with the blowing snow, pretty much a whiteout.
Next two nights will tell, although the wind may be an issue.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Fishmon

« Reply #7683 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:34 AM »
They make a 9? I thought I could never kill my 5 amp batteries.... :o :o

Yup!  I cut a couple dozen holes two days ago with  the 9amp battery and it was still fully charged despite the cold when I left.  Milwaukee claims battery does not (overheat???) as much as the 5amp.  Not a problem in subzero temperatures LOL.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7684 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:12 AM »
                Hand augers are good to a point, but when the ice gets thicker it can be a chore, especially when you have to
                drill a lot of holes, like you when you have your sons with you!  ::)

IW
The kids are animals now at 13 and 16. They both can cut by hand for what seems like forever. They're lazy about setting up tipups. Just like dad!
I've never been able to justify the extra weight of any power. I did invest in a machine this year which could change my opinion, but I'm doubting it. I cut with an old blue Mora for so many years that the Finbore, Nils, and Nero seem effortless.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7685 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:33 AM »

good morning, looking for info on parking at MDB or  Hearthstone... drove be MDB  earlier this week and saw most of the park lot was closed off  ???  MDB gate was closed ??
  plan on taking advantage of he warmer temps next week and fish but don't know if I'll be able to park my truck and trailer .... (to old and crippled up to walk far)
 does anyone know if and when they'll open the lot at MDB or the gate at the campground ?  don't want to drive that far and not find parking

thanks for any info

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7686 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:37 AM »
they only have a tiny portion of the mdb lot open, it has been kinda plowed...but the lot was almost full on monday at points, and that was the first day anyone really got out there, so you may need to plan to get there early if you want to have a place to park.   hearthstone was not open last time I drove by, but should be for this weeekend.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7687 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Cant wait lance! 

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #7688 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Went by Hearthstone yesterday, Gates were still shut !
Paul

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7689 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:48 AM »
they only have a tiny portion of the mdb lot open, it has been kinda plowed...but the lot was almost full on monday at points, and that was the first day anyone really got out there, so you may need to plan to get there early if you want to have a place to park.   hearthstone was not open last time I drove by, but should be for this weeekend.

thanks Red,  .. I don't understand why the rest of that big, new beautiful  lot is closed..... two NYS facilities and such limited access makes no sense to me,.. heading up with atv, hoping for the best

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7690 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Nothing makes any sense at mdb the boat launch is closed most of the summer too😠

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #7691 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:24 PM »
I’m going to call the governors office and request that it be plowed and opened. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7692 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I just left a message with region 5 camping person Jamie S.   Said that a lot of fisherman that contribute to the local ecomony when they visit are depending on Hearthstone to be open this weekend.   hopefully they get back to me.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7693 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:39 PM »
   thanks Red,  .. I don't understand why the rest of that big, new beautiful  lot is closed..... two NYS facilities and such limited access makes no sense to me,.. heading up with atv, hoping for the best
From what I understand, it's to keep the lot from getting ruined by sleds.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7694 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:45 PM »
i can't wait to get out in this wind, to be competely honest.   Stuck here at work, just want to be jigging, holding the side of the shanty down with one foot, both eyes on the flasher looking for streakers.

Remember to bring your heaters and propane tanks inside tonight, and bring them on the ice in a backpack or soft cooler or something else to keep them from getting too cold.

Will be yet another day on the ice this season where the high temp won't get out of the negatives.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7695 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Sunday morning will be crisp -19 to start.  Cant wait!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7696 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:55 PM »
i can't wait to get out in this wind, to be competely honest.   Stuck here at work, just want to be jigging, holding the side of the shanty down with one foot, both eyes on the flasher looking for streakers.

Remember to bring your heaters and propane tanks inside tonight, and bring them on the ice in a backpack or soft cooler or something else to keep them from getting too cold.

Will be yet another day on the ice this season where the high temp won't get out of the negatives.

:o :o
I love clipboard man

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7697 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:58 PM »

Me too. Like lowaccord said earlier this week, Vex is sitting in 0 feet of water not marking a thing here in my office

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7698 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Man im glad i don't get weekends off with that forecast, I'm sure id go out too.  That being said, my days off of tues/wednesday look like amazing weather, for once i luck out

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7699 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:25 PM »

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #7700 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:41 PM »
I'll be back at it in the morning.     I might even put out a tip up or 2.       
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7701 on: Jan 05, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Fishing this weekend looks like some serious "Type 2 Fun". Stay safe everyone. :tipup:

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7702 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Hey guys any info for the north end of the lake as far as conditions or accessibility? I'm going to visit friends in Ticonderoga and am looking to maybe get out beginning of next week. Can you get on/is Rogers Rock plowed-open during the winter?

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7703 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Heading up to mdb this weekend for first ever trip to lake george. Anyone have luck with laker's down there?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #7704 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:20 AM »
The kids are animals now at 13 and 16. They both can cut by hand for what seems like forever. They're lazy about setting up tipups. Just like dad!
I've never been able to justify the extra weight of any power. I did invest in a machine this year which could change my opinion, but I'm doubting it. I cut with an old blue Mora for so many years that the Finbore, Nils, and Nero seem effortless.
               I use to use 7" lazer then MW talked me into getting a z51, but it was heavy and awkward to take out without a 4 wheeler,
               so two summers ago my wife got me a Ion what a difference! I'm glad the boys are stepping up and drilling their own
               holes, makes men out of them!

IW

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7705 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:26 AM »
Red are you bringing that side by side in the pick ::)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7706 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:07 AM »
Good luck to those braving the wind today I will be out there tmrw and test of the week looking for some LG togue

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7707 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:08 AM »
Heading up to mdb this weekend for first ever trip to lake george. Anyone have luck with laker's down there?
u can find Lakers off mdb I would try to find depth of 50' to 60'

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7708 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Good luck to those braving the wind today I will be out there tmrw and test of the week looking for some LG togue

Whoa!!! Sweet, let's hook up.
I love clipboard man

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #7709 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Pearchin tomorrow Lakers on Wednesday Thursday Friday 👍👍👍👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.