New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346743 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #6150 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I Initially planned to keep this tidbit to myself to spare embarrassment, but it might help someone else with more nads than brains.
I attempted to fish Huddle Bay Saturday. I put 4 good perch in the bucket before I got restless and looking at my Navionics.
Navionics told me there was a nice little flat just beyond the little islands headed towards Bixby. I flip the shack back and start walking. Straight up perch blind. I'll admit it. I was also swinging the spud once for every 2 or 3 steps I took. I took 2 steps without swinging on a clear transition in the ice and went in. 
I made more mistakes than I can even remember. As a result, I'll be thanking that Arctic Armor suit for the rest of my years man. The bibs preformed better than I ever could have imagined. I felt my legs start to float up behind me immediately after going through. Gave 2 hard kicks and bellied back up on the ice I came from. I've watched enough Youtube videos that these suit companies put out that it was all etched into my memory.
I'm kind of shocked how good of shape I was in when I finally got to my truck. The outer layer of my suit flash froze like a brick. I had to keep high stepping to keep from freezing to the point of being immobile, but my core layers stayed safely warm.
I'm slightly disappointed in my boots, but I guess I can only expect so much. Carharts and muck boots would have been an entirely different story. Stay safe guys. Invest in a good suit and swing hard with every step.
             I wouldn't be embarrassed Jamie, it could happen to the best of us. I'm glad that you're OK. Thank heavens for your Artic Armor suit, it did what it is supposed to do.

IW

Fishmon

« Reply #6151 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Wow!  Have not field tested my arctic armor suit, but nice to know it worked.  Hope you are OK.  I went thru ice once in my 20s near a dock bubbler that shut off allowing a thin layer of ice to form which was covered by an inch of snow.  Ice went from over a foot thick to nada.  Dropped thru like a brick hitting glass, shot back up out of water like a Polaris missile, and dragged myself onto ice much to the amusement of my friends.  Darn near froze to death walking back to car.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6152 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Prchslyr glad to hear AA suit works, I've never tested mine. Glad to hear you are alright, nice catch, will be on the king tomorrow hopefully.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6153 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:20 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome work Jon!  Lets hope the ice holds after a brief warmup. 

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6154 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:32 AM »
I Initially planned to keep this tidbit to myself to spare embarrassment, but it might help someone else with more nads than brains.
I attempted to fish Huddle Bay Saturday. I put 4 good perch in the bucket before I got restless and looking at my Navionics.
Navionics told me there was a nice little flat just beyond the little islands headed towards Bixby. I flip the shack back and start walking. Straight up perch blind. I'll admit it. I was also swinging the spud once for every 2 or 3 steps I took. I took 2 steps without swinging on a clear transition in the ice and went in. 
I made more mistakes than I can even remember. As a result, I'll be thanking that Arctic Armor suit for the rest of my years man. The bibs preformed better than I ever could have imagined. I felt my legs start to float up behind me immediately after going through. Gave 2 hard kicks and bellied back up on the ice I came from. I've watched enough Youtube videos that these suit companies put out that it was all etched into my memory.
I'm kind of shocked how good of shape I was in when I finally got to my truck. The outer layer of my suit flash froze like a brick. I had to keep high stepping to keep from freezing to the point of being immobile, but my core layers stayed safely warm.
I'm slightly disappointed in my boots, but I guess I can only expect so much. Carharts and muck boots would have been an entirely different story. Stay safe guys. Invest in a good suit and swing hard with every step.

Glad all is good! There's definitely a lot of transitions in the ice this year, as many times as it froze and broke. I'll gladly take the rain later to knock the snow down.
I love clipboard man

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6155 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:44 AM »
Glad you're safe Jamey! Sorry for your misfortune Bro, that must have been quite the attention grabber! Thanks for sharing your experience as it certainly gives us all pause to be a bit more cautious and reminds us all the importance of using our spud bars and wearing proper ice clothing.

MK

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6156 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:33 AM »
The ice is very inconsistent. I lost my spud yesterday, 1 whack on snow ice and down she went. Be careful everyone and don't forget the wrist strap :o

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6157 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:42 AM »
That was you? I went out yesterday and some guy on shore told me about that. As others were heading in that direction I was giving them the heads up, even the ice skaters. Glad you made it out and it looks like it's time to invest in a new suit. I saw a guy passed the island on the right, come around the point from the main lake, pulling and pushing what looked to be a canoe. I know Damn well he wasn't on much ice. Just passed the break passed the island on the right, I was told the was 11/2 inches.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6158 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:09 PM »
That was you? I went out yesterday and some guy on shore told me about that. As others were heading in that direction I was giving them the heads up, even the ice skaters. Glad you made it out and it looks like it's time to invest in a new suit. I saw a guy passed the island on the right, come around the point from the main lake, pulling and pushing what looked to be a canoe. I know Damn well he wasn't on much ice. Just passed the break passed the island on the right, I was told the was 11/2 inches.
Well. I've got no room to call that guy crazy.  ;D
But I hope he's prepared to swim if it happens.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6159 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Well. I've got no room to call that guy crazy.  ;D
But I hope he's prepared to swim if it happens.
maybe that's why he had the canoe, That was his flotation device.  :cookoo:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6160 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:14 PM »
JonNY, man that salmon looks even better on the computer screen.   I cant imagine how good that fight must have been!!

Pchslyr, glad you got out quick, that suit was a lifesaver!   No more swimming this season, ok?  Thanks for posting that, it took guts.

Friends and I did pretty good on the lake this holiday weekend

two days of quick perch limits were nice!

enjoying the bite at -18F

took longer to clean them then it did to catch 'em

Even snuck out to deep water

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6161 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Nice job Jon and red. Perch for days... :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6162 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Got a limit of perch this morning.  Other then some sleet / rain it was a nice morning. When I left ice was still in good shape . The snow on top was just starting to soften up

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6163 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Thanks for posting your horror story prchslyr and thankfully you got out and are OK.
What type of boots were you disappointed with?
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6164 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:44 PM »
A friend and I limited yesterday near huletts.  Was only on 2 inches.  Spect that ice is done
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6165 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:15 PM »

Wow, glad you're ok,  lesson for us all, those suits worth every penny!
Tony

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6166 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for posting your horror story prchslyr and thankfully you got out and are OK.
What type of boots were you disappointed with?
I was wearing the newest Neos Overshoe. The Navigator.
I guess I can only expect so much being fully submerged, but I firmly believe my feet would have been dry with the old version I had. I know no water came up the bottom of my bibs because the bottom of my pants were 100% dry. I took in a little water over the top of my bibs. A small portion of my chest and feet were the only things wet on my inside layers. Water soaked through my boots immediately. The hiking boot I was wearing inside them claims to be water proof too.  ::)
I've walked through standing water with the old Neos I had and had no issue at all. I would have probably stayed out if I had the old set on. My coat was dry because I wasn't wearing it when I went in. I peeled my top layers off and threw my dry coat on. The only thing hurting by the time I got to my truck were my feet.   

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6167 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:51 PM »
Great weekend Lance.  Hope we can finally hook up right place right time.  I'm dying to get schooled by you out there.  And yeah, let's just say when I hooked the salmon, I knew what I had!

71 degrees warmer now than 2 days ago and 63 degrees warmer than yesterday.  Ouch.  Back to scouting tomorrow.
I love clipboard man

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6168 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:02 PM »
Great weekend Lance.  Hope we can finally hook up right place right time.  I'm dying to get schooled by you out there.  And yeah, let's just say when I hooked the salmon, I knew what I had!

71 degrees warmer now than 2 days ago and 63 degrees warmer than yesterday.  Ouch.  Back to scouting tomorrow.
Be careful what you wish for. It can be frustrating.  >:( ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6169 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Awsome report Lance, put me in line behind Jon...will trade Cape Cod Canal knowledge for a ride on the touge train!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6170 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Glad your OK Jamie, those suits are worth their weight in gold. I heard a rumor about it but figured you'd share it if you wanted to. I don't go out without my Striker anymore.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6171 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:51 PM »
I was wearing the newest Neos Overshoe. The Navigator.
I guess I can only expect so much being fully submerged, but I firmly believe my feet would have been dry with the old version I had. I know no water came up the bottom of my bibs because the bottom of my pants were 100% dry. I took in a little water over the top of my bibs. A small portion of my chest and feet were the only things wet on my inside layers. Water soaked through my boots immediately. The hiking boot I was wearing inside them claims to be water proof too.  ::)
I've walked through standing water with the old Neos I had and had no issue at all. I would have probably stayed out if I had the old set on. My coat was dry because I wasn't wearing it when I went in. I peeled my top layers off and threw my dry coat on. The only thing hurting by the time I got to my truck were my feet.
Thanks for the answer prchslyr.....I guess you won't be wearing those shoes on the ice anymore !
 Those Bibs sure did their job !
Again, glad you are OK and thanks for sharing the info.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6172 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Good to hear your ok.  :thumbsup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6173 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. It can be frustrating.  >:( ;D

I'm always up for a serving of humble pie!  I meant to ask were your boots real heavy on the walk back?  I know mine were when I went in on shore last year.  I knew I was fine being only waist deep so I just stood for a while to get a feel for it.  The one thing I noticed is my boots were like lead bricks on the walk to the car.
I love clipboard man

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6174 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Glad your safe, something you will remember the rest of your life. I went through about 10  or 15 years ago in front of the pier at Rogers Memorial Park in Bolton. When I went through it was like slow motion it has finally happened to me. Boy is my wife going to to be pissed is all that went through my head. stupid thought at the time. I couldn't roll back on the ice. Lucky I wasn't alone, a friend got on his stomach and reached me with auger and I was able to pull myself on the ice with a few kicks. I will never forget it as long as I live. I could see my truck in the parking lot but couldn't get to it. Walked down to Bixby and a guy gave a ride to my truck and I drove home in my underwear.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6175 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I forgot to mention. To save people a trip, they cracked open the the ice at the end of the dock and fired up the bubbler, off huddle bay rd. We went out for a few hours and when coming off, saw water flowering over the top of the ice. What I don't get is, why would they do that crap, when they know people are out there and not do it at night when nobody's out? It's not deep there, but still, who wants to get wet.   That access can't be safe now.  >:(

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #6176 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:06 AM »
Prchsylr....glad you made it out safely and are here to talk about it. Appreciate you sharing your story with us and your experience...I honestly believe it will help save someone else's life....so, Thank You!    :thumbsup:

Some great pictures of the trips guys....congratulation s on your catches Jon and Big Red!! Be safe out there guys...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6177 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:40 AM »
I forgot to mention. To save people a trip, they cracked open the the ice at the end of the dock and fired up the bubbler, off huddle bay rd. We went out for a few hours and when coming off, saw water flowering over the top of the ice. What I don't get is, why would they do that crap, when they know people are out there and not do it at night when nobody's out? It's not deep there, but still, who wants to get wet.   That access can't be safe now.  >:(
If they're protecting a dock. There isn't much we can say or do.
I'd put a bubbler around a $5k dock too.
I take issue with the guy off Vets though. Rumor has it he moved his bubbler closer to the beach this year. I planned to cruise over there and take a look Saturday. I had other pressing matters that day.  ::)

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6178 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:42 AM »
Hey anyone out there fishing lake George Friday and want some company. I live near Amsterdam have fished Bixby Bay and off of vets park other than that not really familiar with the lake. I usually fish alone on fridays so looking to maybe hook up with someone who knows of some safe ice. Shoot me a pm of interested thanks!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6179 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:00 AM »
I'm always up for a serving of humble pie!  I meant to ask were your boots real heavy on the walk back?  I know mine were when I went in on shore last year.  I knew I was fine being only waist deep so I just stood for a while to get a feel for it.  The one thing I noticed is my boots were like lead bricks on the walk to the car.
They took on just enough water to wet my socks, but my feet weren't soaked by any means.
A weight difference wasn't noticeable. Just cold and wet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.