New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346758 times)

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5370 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:11 AM »
3 lakers were 28.5",  30" ,and 31".  The 31" is going on the wall.  Check out his top tail fin.  Worn off from cruising under the ice???

Offline fishfindermrb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5371 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:24 AM »
  Thank you captin going up tomorrow and will be on the quad. that is good news. ;D
Looking forward to your report aj454. Heading up this weekend and was hoping to try the 4 wheeler again.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #5372 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Lmfao. Hey nice Lakers

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5373 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Just wondering how much snow is still on the lake was thinking about heading out of bixby rd this weekend

Bixby still have some deep snow drift spots with slush but for the most part it's easy walking. The middle of the bay seems to be where the deepest snow is

Offline FishinMikeY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5374 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Those are some pig lakers. You can pm me the waypoint whenever you want....
. Nice catch!!  Where do u fish out of?

Offline FishinMikeY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5375 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Was out last Sunday. Absolutely beautiful day to b fishing. The bite seemed a little off. Did manage to land one laker. Short but no complaints. The walk was quite easy outta vets. Especially on the snowmobile tracks. I'm still kinda new to the lake. What depth water is everyone having the most success in?  And what lures seem to work the best?  IMG_8854.jpeg

Offline pike n walleye slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5376 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Nice lakers!!
Life is too short NOT to fish!!!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5377 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Taking a break lately from the  "sewer trout" in favor of stockpiling the freezer.  Decent bite yesterday, full limit of gills and a decent haul of perch.

I love clipboard man

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #5378 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I love your double sink

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5379 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 AM »
that's awesome Berkley...I have seen similar fin damage on lakers,,I wonder if that is why,certainly makes sense

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5380 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:17 PM »
How do you get that many gills in lg? I always manage to get a few mixed in with the perch but I would be losing if I said I have caught more then 5 in a full days worth of fishing.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5381 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:51 PM »
How do you get that many gills in lg? I always manage to get a few mixed in with the perch but I would be losing if I said I have caught more then 5 in a full days worth of fishing.

there's a few areas of the lake where pumpkinseeds are just really really prevalent.   Same places each year, usually.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5382 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Taking a break lately from the  "sewer trout" in favor of stockpiling the freezer.  Decent bite yesterday, full limit of gills and a decent haul of perch.

Nice job Jon...   :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
I hope to get out some place local this weekend and do the same....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5383 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Nice work Jon!

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5384 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:07 PM »
there's a few areas of the lake where pumpkinseeds are just really really prevalent.   Same places each year, usually.

All you need to do to locate a spot like that is look for gills on top of the ice. Many guys think they are junk fish and toss them all over. Early ice I could only get 15 or so the past three trips I've gotten 38-50-50 just on gills with perch at 36-45-30 equals 40# buckets, hours of cleaning and a full freezer!!!! Jon You forgot to mention the pike, lakers  and bass lol it was a multi species day

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5385 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:09 PM »

I guess I am in the wrong area then

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5386 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Those look like punkinseeds to me.  I always thought gills = bluegills and seeds = punkinseeds.  Am I wrong? (to quote Walter Sobcheck).  I was off Bixby one day last March and caught about 15 seeds out of one hole one after the other.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5387 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:42 PM »
yes they are seeds... just habit to call them gills!

ss- you might be in the right vicinity. One hole can be dink perch, 50 ft away keeper perch 50 ft away seeds. 
I love clipboard man

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5388 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:53 PM »
yes they are seeds... just habit to call them gills!

ss- you might be in the right vicinity. One hole can be dink perch, 50 ft away keeper perch 50 ft away seeds.

Yeah I figured that much. I cut holes all day long. Usually 10ft away from the last and keep moving. I guess I just don't have the sunfish touch lol

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5389 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:37 PM »
We jig perch quite a bit out of the boat in the spring or late fall.Sometimes we'll catch more pumpkinseeds than perch. Come winter they're never in those spots. To be honest I like the taste of the seeds a little better than the perch. I never really search for them in the winter but I'm guessing I'd have to go a little shallower for them. A lot of the places we fish  are 40' to 50' deep. Maybe I'll explore a little this weekend ;D

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5390 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Does anyone have advise on the best access to get on the lake to fish dome island by way of atv? Is the fishing out there better than vets for perch and lakers?

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5391 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:06 PM »

They are right where we went in the boat that December terry. Thick right now too! Pm me if you need.
Thanks Andy...just about the depth I was guessing to :)

We have much bigger boats now...we'll have to go next fall.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5392 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Does anyone have advise on the best access to get on the lake to fish dome island by way of atv? Is the fishing out there better than vets for perch and lakers?

I wouldnt count on doing well with perch out there....if you catch any at all. I spent some time out there at dome last year, and it seem's like its to close to "laker waters" for there to be a good number of perch out there...but maybe it was the area's I was fishing. Some of the sunken grass islands looked too good to be true out there...and they were. Alot of them held no life.

as far as lakers, dont expect numbers but bigger then your average ones.

2 easiest access points would be straight across from Pilots knob or straight out from Bixby rd. Both ways would be about the same distance. Bixby would probably beeing safer, as you arent crossing 200' deep water as you would be from Pilots knob.

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5393 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I've never fished lake George before.    Where's the best place to go if you don't have a wheeler or snowmobile?  Where's the best place of you do have a wheeler or snowmobile?         How's parking?

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5394 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Absolutely terry been a while since we fished together. Might see you there. I too am going to have a bigger boat come spring. Not one we can hand load though lol. 19' Lund, going to be sweet for stripers.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5395 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:31 AM »
Absolutely terry been a while since we fished together. Might see you there. I too am going to have a bigger boat come spring. Not one we can hand load though lol. 19' Lund, going to be sweet for stripers.
I bought a boat just before Lake George froze, a 17' Sea Nymph...your boat would definitely be a step up from mine. Love the ice but kinda can't wait for spring.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5396 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:38 AM »

Nice haul Jon, I wish I could have made it out that day. I bet you made Nina happy with that catch!

IW

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5397 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:23 AM »
just wanted to check and see if its possible to get out of Harris with a wheeler? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5398 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Typically if you dont have a 4 wheeler you're going to want to walk from any parking place that is an appropriate and respectable parking spot and make sure that you dont start drilling holes on land.. you definitely want to increase your chances of catching a fish by drilling your holes through Ice which is above the water. Then, dropping your line down that hole will get you started.. If your hole only allows you to let out 1-2 ft of line than you may wish to go deeper to again increase your chances of catching a fish.

Now if you have a quad, you definitely want to drive that sucker onto the ice and off land before starting to fish. See the above mentioned tip for where to fish. Good luck to you! Hope this helps.

-Steve
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5399 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I've never fished lake George before.    Where's the best place to go if you don't have a wheeler or snowmobile?  Where's the best place of you do have a wheeler or snowmobile?         How's parking?
Which end of the lake are you coming from and what do you want to catch?  In general though, parking is limited, especially on weekends. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.