New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346694 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5070 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Thank you to those trying to keep this thread on topic.
If you're here to bash another user. Do it via pm. We all have our own opinions of each other on these forums. None of us care to hear each others' opinions.
For some, this post will be out of context. I'm doing some deleting.
Read this post, but there is no need to reply to it here. Keep it to LG Bs'ing.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5071 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Fished out of vets all weekend with a buddy.  We caught 20 lakers for the weekend, small ones out deep.  Larger fish greater than 25" were shallow yesterday over the grass.  The pull out and in sucked. Saturday night we had to stop perching when the smelt moved in and filled the flasher screens...

Likewise!  27" was our biggest.  You think the same laker will keep hitting an hour over and over again?   I swear we caught this one 22" laker 5x in two hours.   Top notch action until 10:30am and then it shutoff like a switch. Then about 1 laker an hour for the rest of the day for us.  Never marked any perch of smelt 45fow, not that i really expected to.

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5072 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Anyone ever do the ATV poker run at the winter carnival? It is listed for this Saturday... was wondering what it was exactly? Any details would be appreciated! Thanks

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #5073 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Anyone ever do the ATV poker run at the winter carnival? It is listed for this Saturday... was wondering what it was exactly? Any details would be appreciated! Thanks

May be a cold ride this Sat..   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5074 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:19 AM »
will ATV's even be able to traverse the lake with all the snow?

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5075 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:30 AM »
will ATV's even be able to traverse the lake with all the snow?
That's the big question as I would like to know also. Going Wednesday so if no answer by then i'll post how travel is.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5076 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:54 AM »
  Larger fish greater than 25" were shallow yesterday over the grass. 
They were all over perch grounds Wednesday as well. The drag really sucked then too and its only going to be worse now...especially dragging the shanty and all that gear. :wacko:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5077 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:35 PM »
That's the big question as I would like to know also. Going Wednesday so if no answer by then i'll post how travel is.
I watched quite a few quads struggling yesterday.
No one had to be pulled, but a few around me were awful close.
Unless you're riding an absolute beast, you're going to have issues on a quad after the dumping we're getting now.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5078 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I watched quite a few quads struggling yesterday.
No one had to be pulled, but a few around me were awful close.
Unless you're riding an absolute beast, you're going to have issues on a quad after the dumping we're getting now.
I just posted in perch thread I was going to attempt a wheeler tomorrow then I read this. Abort!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5079 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:43 PM »
I just posted in perch thread I was going to attempt a wheeler tomorrow then I read this. Abort!
Keep in mind man.
I don't ride a machine and am fairly ignorant to what they can take. It's possible I am wrong and plenty of gearheads will pound through anyway.
I just know I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of that lake with a machine.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #5080 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:15 PM »
had a great bite going in 25 fow on sunday. we landed 4 and lost at least a dozen. heres some pics

If you drill it, they will come...

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #5081 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:16 PM »
lost count of the walleyes... there was so many. the decs stocking efforts are really paying off!!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5082 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Just to give people a heads up that go out of Bixby rd. to fish huddle bay...

as most you know, there is the ice break right there, and its sketchy. I am going to build a 2x6 plank bridge tonight for tomorrow. I am going to keep it there for everyone to get across safely. PLEASE leave it there for others to use. I did this last year over at pilots knob and by the end of the day, someone took it. Ice breaks are nothing to play around with, after this snow cover.

sjord89- those are some sweet lakers, and good numbers for 25' of water.

While the intention is good, it's a terrible idea to leave it there.
First off you are leaving materials on the ice. Unlike a marked shanty , it is actually against the law.
Second, how would you feel if an unexpected snowmobile happened to crash into that debris and got injured ?
It may be good for you but remember that you ( we) are not the only ones using the lake for recreation .
My way of thinking is , if you carry it in, carry it out.

Nice lakers everyone

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #5083 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Our family is going to Lake George the first weekend in March.  I'm the only one that ice fishes, and I was hoping to take a morning or afternoon to ice fish for perch or even better a laker.   We have a choice of three places to stay, Ft William Henry, The Holiday Inn Turf, or The Sagamore.   Which of these would offer me some quick access to the lake?

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5084 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:55 PM »
I would stay at the sagamore   plenty of spots to do both close by

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5085 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:58 PM »
nice Lakers guys , nice pics

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5086 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:26 PM »
While the intention is good, it's a terrible idea to leave it there.
First off you are leaving materials on the ice. Unlike a marked shanty , it is actually against the law.
Second, how would you feel if an unexpected snowmobile happened to crash into that debris and got injured ?
It may be good for you but remember that you ( we) are not the only ones using the lake for recreation .
My way of thinking is , if you carry it in, carry it out.

Nice lakers everyone

I actually thought better of it after my post...not doing it. Thanks.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5087 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:38 AM »
How much snow did you get after these past couple days?  For those of you walking...is it so deep you need snowshoes?  Just curious how much snow your trudging through to get out there. 
Thanks
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5088 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:02 PM »
They were all over perch grounds Wednesday as well. The drag really sucked then too and its only going to be worse now...especially dragging the shanty and all that gear. :wacko:

They must have been all over in general then as my buddy was getting some aggressive fish on the flats too.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5089 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:07 PM »
I wonder if perch beds are the place to fish lakers mid to late season especially for a lunker??  Perch beds were very slow for lakers two weeks back, but I normally don't fish in that spot fow a few more weeks..  Usually pounding PK right about now.  Decisions...

I can't wait to get back out! 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5090 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I wonder if perch beds are the place to fish lakers mid to late season especially for a lunker??  Perch beds were very slow for lakers two weeks back, but I normally don't fish in that spot fow a few more weeks..  Usually pounding PK right about now.  Decisions...

I can't wait to get back out!

hmmm

If i were going just for trout, I would start first thing on the edge of the perch beds...

In all seriousness, every winter, if/when we get a thick blanket of snow, a certain percentage of the lake's trout definitely make a shallower migration to the perch beds to feed on sticklebacks, darters and smelt.

Alot of times these fish will be a little bigger than the average.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5091 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:00 PM »
I've been enjoying the shallow game a lot.  Mostly because getting too the deep water is mega work now walking! 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5092 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Aside from a few, all of the largest trout I've seen have come on dead baits in super shallow water.
I only run flouro leaders targeting pike in Lake George to leave me the opportunity for a big lucky trout to hit the same rig.
It can almost be irritating when I'm specifically targeting pike and as always, I can't get away from the lake trout. But... those trout are usually worth it.  ;)
I really think it's the cookie cutters that I've been playing with jigging out deep. Those fish aren't big enough to safely roam the flats that hold pike. The big bruisers aren't scared of the pike and pickerel in the bays. That's my rationale anyway. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5093 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I don't know if it's smart of me to make myself noticeable.
I think I found a way to get myself more room out there though! I saw pics of it getting passed around online and couldn't resist having a local screen printer doing it.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #5094 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:30 PM »
lol thats awesome

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5095 on: Feb 10, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Aside from a few, all of the largest trout I've seen have come on dead baits in super shallow water.
I only run flouro leaders targeting pike in Lake George to leave me the opportunity for a big lucky trout to hit the same rig.
It can almost be irritating when I'm specifically targeting pike and as always, I can't get away from the lake trout. But... those trout are usually worth it.  ;)
I really think it's the cookie cutters that I've been playing with jigging out deep. Those fish aren't big enough to safely roam the flats that hold pike. The big bruisers aren't scared of the pike and pickerel in the bays. That's my rationale anyway.

I like it...and have seen similar play out recently...smaller fish out deep, picky...larger more aggressive fish in shallower.  Aside from the evenings where large lakers were found out deep.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5096 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:14 PM »
I don't know if it's smart of me to make myself noticeable.
I think I found a way to get myself more room out there though! I saw pics of it getting passed around online and couldn't resist having a local screen printer doing it.
(Image removed from quote.)

That's awesome!
I love clipboard man

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5097 on: Feb 10, 2015, 02:31 PM »
The big bruisers aren't scared of the pike and pickerel in the bays. That's my rationale anyway.

I like that rationale!!   Seems quite logical to me.   

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5098 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Well guys. I made it out there for a little while today. It was not enjoyable at all. I though a 1/2 mile walk wouldn't be too bad, I was wrong. I was doing alright until I hit the slush. It froze to the bottom of the sled and then it was a struggle to walk more than 200' at a time. I felt like I was dragging a building behind me. While fishing the wind picked up quite a bit and blew the snow into what looked liked waves in the ocean.  These drifts where just about up to my knees on the walk back in. Saw 2 wheeler tracks. They looked like they were really struggling. 

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5099 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:21 PM »
They must have been all over in general then as my buddy was getting some aggressive fish on the flats too.
Let's hope they're there and aggressive tomorrow too...   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.