New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346679 times)

Offline FirstLightBestBite

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4530 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:46 AM »
DDT spraying in the LG watershed during the late 30s & 40s resulted in infertile Lake Trout. This severally hurt the population and led to the subsequent stocking programs that brought the population back to what it is today. During low Lake Trout population Landlocked Salmon populations exploded (because of there competition for the same forage fish - Smelt). The Lake Trout stocked in the 60s & 70s grew incredibly fast due to an enlarged forage basin from the low trout population for nearly two decades prior to their stocking. This made food easily accessible and dramatically increased the trout's growth rate resulting in the monsters caught during the 70s and 80s. After the population rebounded and the forage basin return to older numbers growth rates slowed again to what we see today. Interestingly, salmon populations followed an opposite relationship flourishing during low trout populations of the 40s thru 60s and struggling when populations were high (mainly due to competition between a similar food source). Now if the DEC would stop stocking Salmon maybe we would start to see bigger trout again, but fishing pressure has change along with a bunch of other variables so who knows. Sorry for the rant just my two cents, I'm more of a trout guy.
I'd rather be fishing

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4531 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Fished out of vets today for lakers this morning and got skunked. Still trying to learn to jig these fish. Any tips? I had 15-20 chasers today but did not have one single bite. Used the usual assortment of pimples, tube jig and buck tail and not a bite. Could never get them to chase more than 3-4 of the bottom even with a steady retrieve to try to entice them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4532 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I have found some time retrieving it a little faster as they get close to the bait will get you a strike. Other days just normal jigging will get them to hit. You might want to put a little more action into it then just reeling up try and bounce the rod tip a bit  as well when you reel it up when they are chasing it.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4533 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Get the Smelt oil at Fish307 !

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4534 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Get the Smelt oil at Fish307 !

@) 

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4535 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:17 PM »
the parking at mdb. not much room till you can park on the ice.   tc5

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4536 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Slow day today marked a few fish but wouldn't commit.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4537 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Yes gotta be some monsters. Those big fish were all caught similar ways very deep water with slightly unconventional presentations. Now days he does not do much bottom bouncing anymore. Many hung up down rigger balls, lots of work but bigger fish. Most people stray away from the really deep water where the giants live, but the action can be slow......

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4538 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:04 PM »
JJ you have gotten way to good at taking pictures.... not much point of reference in the background  :nono: ;)2

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4539 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Anyone else shocked by the number of salmon caught this season. Have heard of multiple being jigged up and caught on tipups this season. Spoke with JJ today and gotta give him ports for that ine. Putting the old strain back in the lake seems to be paying off :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline jmc1ny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4540 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:48 PM »
I had a good day for perch but I must vent alittle, IMO the people driving atv out on 5in of ice are just plain stupid. Saw a guy in atv pulling a shanty going out towards dome island where I was told there was 4in or less. Is it really worth the risk this early in the year. Lake has been froze for a week with new cracks opening up every day

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4541 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:54 PM »
I had a good day for perch but I must vent alittle, IMO the people driving atv out on 5in of ice are just plain stupid. Saw a guy in atv pulling a shanty going out towards dome island where I was told there was 4in or less. Is it really worth the risk this early in the year. Lake has been froze for a week with new cracks opening up every day

I fished in that vicinity yesterday and I measured 6". But yeah I agree with you. I wouldn't do it!!!

Offline The Reel Deeeal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4542 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Can't blame anyone for wanting to be the first person set up over sacred water.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4543 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:29 PM »

Biggest one was a touch over 14"

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4544 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:31 PM »
very nice spread o fish ;D
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4545 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Nice Pile Bigfish!   Hope this weekend storm misses you guys!

Offline lazymanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4546 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:46 PM »
There is probally a giant lurking in Lake Placid..seeming on how its non ice fishable  ;D and doesnt get fished hard in the summer ;) That place is just a tour town. Lived there for 5 years and never went for lakers but maybe ill give it a shot
In 2007 I caught a nice laker from placid. It was 44" long with a 28" girth. Had the fish mounted by a taxidermist at the salmon river who's husband was senior biologist at the altmar hatchery. He said the fish was over 60 years old. Never entered it into the record books because I never got a reliable weight. Used the lake trout weight calculator using the fishes measurements and it weighted over 40lbs. I would post a pic but can't seem to do so with my cell phone. It's a awesome fish. A 24 lb laker was take the week before I caught my fish. Placid has some epic fish..

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4547 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:18 PM »
In 2007 I caught a nice laker from placid. It was 44" long with a 28" girth. Had the fish mounted by a taxidermist at the salmon river who's husband was senior biologist at the altmar hatchery. He said the fish was over 60 years old. Never entered it into the record books because I never got a reliable weight. Used the lake trout weight calculator using the fishes measurements and it weighted over 40lbs. I would post a pic but can't seem to do so with my cell phone. It's a awesome fish. A 24 lb laker was take the week before I caught my fish. Placid has some epic fish..

You gotta post a pic after a story like that... You can upload your pic from your phone to a photobucket account which then can be displayed on here, that's how I do it
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline lazymanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4548 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:40 AM »
You gotta post a pic after a story like that... You can upload your pic from your phone to a photobucket account which then can be displayed on here, that's how I do it
I will ask my teenage daughter for help tonight

Offline lazymanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4549 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I can get the url from photo Bucket but the pic does not display. Any help would be great thanks

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4550 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I can get the url from photo Bucket but the pic does not display. Any help would be great thanks
click on the image code when on photobucket. it will copy it. then paste it in this  thread. IMG code is the bottom option on photbucket where is says share link on the right of screen.

Offline lazymanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4551 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:57 AM »
click on the image code when on photobucket. it will copy it. then paste it in this  thread. IMG code is the bottom option on photbucket where is says share link on the right of screen.
Still can't get it to post, all I get is the url no pic

Offline lazymanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4552 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:58 AM »

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4553 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:02 AM »
WOW! What a beast.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4554 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Yeah buddy, that's a beast for sure... Thanks for sharing, that's got me pumped for tomorrow's laker trip
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4555 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Amazing laker! What's the story behind the catch? Open water or ice?
Wow!!!!

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #4556 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Nice bunch of Perch Big Fish

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #4557 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:20 AM »
 :icefish:   That fish would not make it through my 6 inch hole....And in reply, that guy on the wheeler, towing the shanty went around me at least 2 times, I was at the mouth of the bay on 5 inches....I tried to cross the first pressure crack there was only 4 inches there, 1 foot wide crack, I was unwilling to step my 245 lb butt over it and trust it not to break off either....Caught some bigger perch and watched a big pike come through and scare the perch away.  5 minutes later, perch returned....Barebow   

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4558 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Are you referring to the pressure crack at Pilot Knob? I had to cross that on my way back in on Thursday. It was not there in the morning.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4559 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:33 AM »
no ice fishing at lake placid-----so it was caught in open water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.