New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346715 times)

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3960 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Absolutely cannot go wrong with a Nils......I've had one for years and I don't think I've ever had it sharpened, although I seldom use it once the ice thickens as I opt for my power auger(lazy!). I spoke with a guy on Saturday who picked up a 6" Nils at a garage sale for $10!! Some guys have all the luck.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3961 on: Mar 25, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I spoke with a guy on Saturday who picked up a 6" Nils at a garage sale for $10!! Some guys have all the luck.

If the guy was anything like my father. The auger was probably marked at $25.  But ended up talking em down to $10.  Some people get stupid lucky lol

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3962 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Hows the lake holding up fellas?
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3963 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Hows the lake holding up fellas?

;)   ... for now

warm weather and several days of rain in the forecast ...  including an inch saturday or sunday

get out while the getting is good   ;D

i was on another big lake in the area sunday and tuesday and there was the same amount of ice but you could see that the amount of clear strong ice had gone from 3/4 of the ice to less than half. I assume it was the strong sun we have had.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3964 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Fished lake George yesterday. 12 lakers between us. I got on em right before we had to leave of course. Ice is holding up fine but the access at Vets will probably be done by/on the weekend. Open water on each side of access. Probably 15' of ice then water on each side. May be able to walk it somehow but wheelers will be sketchy.
 I think that's a wrap for me this season. Special thanks to ice tripper for showing me the ropes on the lakers. We fished quite a bit this season. Good guy for sure. Good company. Thanks man!

Offline fishfindermrb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3965 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Fished lake George yesterday. 12 lakers between us. I got on em right before we had to leave of course. Ice is holding up fine but the access at Vets will probably be done by/on the weekend. Open water on each side of access. Probably 15' of ice then water on each side. May be able to walk it somehow but wheelers will be sketchy.
 I think that's a wrap for me this season. Special thanks to ice tripper for showing me the ropes on the lakers. We fished quite a bit this season. Good guy for sure. Good company. Thanks man!
I agree! Big thanks to ice tripper as well, gave my son and I some great tips on fishing LG. Looking forward to getting up there more often next season.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3966 on: Mar 26, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Fished out of vets yesterday. Caught 7 lakers all 21&22"ers but got one 23".  We caught all but one on jigging rods. Once the smelt scatters on the sonar you know whats coming next  ;D Other then that i killed the battery on my wheeler and had to walk about 2 miles for help. Thank god for fellow ice fisherman! Saved my day!

Offline Jbicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3967 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:19 AM »
 was  about getting in some last minute night fishing as the season is starting to come to an end.
time to get on the ice harder and  thought night would be a good solution to the prob.
I know walleye fisherman fish at night, but nobody else does it?   i would think that it is more popular.
i know my pop up tent has lots of reflective tape on it.  thought people really fished more at night?

anybody out there have more positive things to say about night fishing?
thanks

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #3968 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:33 AM »
How thick was the ice once you got on at vets?  I'm thinking of taking a ride up tomorrow for the day.

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3969 on: Mar 26, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Kb I measured 22" just be careful getting on and off. the ice eaters are starting to take there toll.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3970 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Your welcome Steve . I'm real glad that I got to meet you and Nick this year.As far as the seasons goin I'm not done yet chasing those "Grease Chickens" as my buddy Fontana calls 'em.  Fishfindermrb get in touch with me next season.maybe we could plan something.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #3971 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Thank you. Can I still get a machine on at vets or is the ice too far gone?  I'm just wondering if it's worth towing it up or not.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3972 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Any reports if anyone is out of vets today?
Want to get up tomorrow as log as shore is still good to walk it out.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3973 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:41 PM »
was  about getting in some last minute night fishing as the season is starting to come to an end.
time to get on the ice harder and  thought night would be a good solution to the prob.
I know walleye fisherman fish at night, but nobody else does it?   i would think that it is more popular.
i know my pop up tent has lots of reflective tape on it.  thought people really fished more at night?

anybody out there have more positive things to say about night fishing?
thanks
            I never had much luck fishing Lakers at night, I did well with Perch and Crappie at night. Gotta do your homework for night fishing.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3974 on: Mar 26, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Fished out of vets yesterday. Caught 7 lakers all 21&22"ers but got one 23".  We caught all but one on jigging rods. Once the smelt scatters on the sonar you know whats coming next  ;D Other then that i killed the battery on my wheeler and had to walk about 2 miles for help. Thank god for fellow ice fisherman! Saved my day!
  I think we met in the parking lot. I had the black enclosed trailer. We spoke a bit. Sorry bout your luck. My buddies quad died on the ice month ago, luckily some guys towed us.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3975 on: Mar 26, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Any reports if anyone is out of vets today?
Want to get up tomorrow as log as shore is still good to walk it out.
We were there Tuesday and it was good when we left at  4 PM. They were still running 4 wheelers on  and off. I would think walking would be OK tomorrow . Hopefully you hear from someone who was out there today

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3976 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Wow the wind was crazy out there today but some good fishing

Offline JayDub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3977 on: Mar 27, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Ice Tripper is my BRO

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3978 on: Mar 27, 2014, 05:51 PM »
out this am smelt smelt and more smelt 1 perch 1 short laker lost one other.back out in the am.any body find any lakers any were open to suggestions. :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3979 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Anyone catching lakers out of fort ann beach lately? Would like to fish for them one more time before ice out and have never fished on that side of the lake.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #3980 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:35 AM »
You know it's almost done when the LG BS thread gets buried on page two!   :(

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3981 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:45 AM »
You know it's almost done when the LG BS thread gets buried on page two!   :(
Bah! I think they're all just being quiet about those shallow pig perch that are easy for the taking now.  ;)
I was hole hoping behind my car yesterday.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3982 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Went yesterday to Harris...super light bite and had to work hard to get 20 keepers (>9") perch. Nabbed a few good sized pumpkinseeds for the fryer. Hoping the weather holds for a few more days so when the perch bite turns on I can be there,

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3983 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:05 AM »
prchslyr  still at it. good for you. goin up on sunday and gonna try the next one over we were talking about. Can't get it off my mind. Been thinking about it all week while STUCK at work.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3984 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Ice is still 100% out there, at least as of this morning.   no reason to stop yet.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3985 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I was north of PK yesterday and there's at least 20 inches of ice with only maybe the top 2 being soft. Lost a good one at the hole after about 3 minutes of him not wanting to come in. Instead of giving him some drag I gave him some slack  :-\ My buddy caught a short and also had one at the hole and the snap swivel opened up on him. I never liked those things. One more thing that could go wrong......and it did! Good luck to all...

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3986 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:15 PM »
yup plenty of ice out there still and still as solid as black ice should be! We still have a few weeks left IMO. Depends where and when the shores lines start going. Alot of rain can raise the water level and break up shores quick. Hoping that doesnt happen.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3987 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Just have to start the day off in insulated chest waders. Hop up top of the ice, with a quick change of clothes and start pounding em.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3988 on: Mar 28, 2014, 02:22 PM »

I've gone out on a 30' extension ladder before, not fully extended but if you fell in you'd be in waist deep water. :woot:

IW

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3989 on: Mar 28, 2014, 03:22 PM »
ice is fine the shore seems stable fished for a couple of hours this am 2 trout one 25 and one 22.and all the smelt you want. :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.