New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346667 times)

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3930 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:19 PM »
im getting a kick out of you guys fishing lg for perch.. seems like you guys would do a heck of a lot better on a different lake.. just my opinion.. as for the lakers. i gave up on them... always stealing my perch jigs..  dang sewer fish
What are you talking about? Ton of guys fish LG for perch. All age groups too. Sounds like you can't catch perch on LG. Also sounds like you don't know how to work a laker on lite line. @)

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3931 on: Mar 23, 2014, 01:07 PM »
I personally think LG is one of the best perch lakes available to us here. I've had 4 or 5 days all season that I didn't limit or come damn close, and I fish the lake around 3 days per week. They're there, you just have to know what you're looking for.....FYI... Vex makes all the difference in the world.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3932 on: Mar 23, 2014, 01:16 PM »
What are you talking about? Ton of guys fish LG for perch. All age groups too. Sounds like you can't catch perch on LG. Also sounds like you don't know how to work a laker on lite line. @)

LMFAO!!

Offline redneckrmsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3933 on: Mar 23, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Fished off cotton point today only ended up with 2 short lakers. I think it's time to break out the flyrod. Tight lines and stay on top :tipup:

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3934 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Where you guys the ones out in the deep water?   I was out there today and got a monster smallie and a nice pike.    A lot of smaller perch.    Did get to meet aj454.  Great guy hope to hook up again.

As for easyer
im getting a kick out of you guys fishing lg for perch.. seems like you guys would do a heck of a lot better on a different lake.. just my opinion.. as for the lakers. i gave up on them... always stealing my perch jigs..  dang sewer fish

You fish where you want ill fish lg for perch and we can compare.   If you put time in then one day grasshopper you will find the fish.  And as for lakers.   One day my child you shall master the art of playing a fish
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3935 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:21 PM »
             I know it's fun to catch Lakers on lite tackle, but if you're losing perch jigs, why don't you try some heavier gear. I've got a slew of perch jigs that I've taken from the Lakers that you loose to. ::)

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3936 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:31 PM »
LMFAO :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3937 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Caught 5 lakers today and lost 2 at the hole. Never got a look at the biggest one but I've got a feeling he wouldn't of made it through my 4.5" hole. Watched him chase a 10" perch to about 5' under the hole on the flasher.  He nails the perch but lets go after a few seconds,I reel the perch in drop the jig back down and he hits it about 5' under the ice again. As soon as I get a hook in him he runs a lot of my spool out. Took quite a while to get 'em back up top again and the jig popped out during a head shake. Had 2 others lakers follow pretty good sized perch to the hole but didn't hit them. Ended up with a chunky 26" that just squeezed through the hole a 25" and 3 shorts. Got a limit of perch and i was very conscious of my count today  ;) Haven't lost a jig yet this year  ::)
Anyone know where Ican get a 6" nils?

Offline redneckrmsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3938 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Where you guys the ones out in the deep water?   I was out there today and got a monster smallie and a nice pike.    A lot of smaller perch.    Did get to meet aj454.  Great guy hope to hook up again. Yea we usually do pretty good out there but last 2 trips not so much

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3939 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Yeah we popped out to the deep water when the 4 wheelers came out visiting and we didn't mark a fish
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3940 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Caught 5 lakers today and lost 2 at the hole. Never got a look at the biggest one but I've got a feeling he wouldn't of made it through my 4.5" hole. Watched him chase a 10" perch to about 5' under the hole on the flasher.  He nails the perch but lets go after a few seconds,I reel the perch in drop the jig back down and he hits it about 5' under the ice again. As soon as I get a hook in him he runs a lot of my spool out. Took quite a while to get 'em back up top again and the jig popped out during a head shake. Had 2 others lakers follow pretty good sized perch to the hole but didn't hit them. Ended up with a chunky 26" that just squeezed through the hole a 25" and 3 shorts. Got a limit of perch and i was very conscious of my count today  ;) Haven't lost a jig yet this year  ::)
I got the 8 inch fin bor III from 307. I've cut Atleast 200 holes in 18-34 inches of ice.  I would imagine the six inch cuts even better.  Well worth the 89.99 for the six inch. 

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3941 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:00 PM »
I got the 8 inch fin bor III from 307. I've cut Atleast 200 holes in 18-34 inches of ice.  I would imagine the six inch cuts even better.  Well worth the 89.99 for the six inch.
Wonder if I could make it work with my setup. I bought a Tanaka power head to be used with a 6" nils that isn't available to next fall. Bought an adapter directly from Nils to tie the two together and borrowed a 4.5" Nils from my buddy till I get the 6". Have a feeling I'd need a different  adapter with the fin bore. Heard good things about the fin bore but kinda got my heart set on the nils. First power auger I've ever owned, that thing cuts holes on George right now in 5 seconds flat   Andy   :o

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3942 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:43 PM »

What does this post even mean? LG is a fantastic perch lake. Not many lakes you can go out and hammer perch on all day.

As far as lakers taking your gear, that sounds like a you problem. I caught 7 lakers this season while fishing for perch on my perch jig's and lite setup. Didnt lose a single one, or lose a single jig. Biggest laker was 26". Smallest was 21".

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3943 on: Mar 23, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Went up to Hague for the first time ever. Guess we didn't pick the right spot. My buddy caught a short jigging early morning. Something almost spooled out my tip up in about 30 seconds. The tipup had a 7 inch sucker on it but dropped it before I could get to it! Definately the best part of the day was my son catching his first Laker ever. Better yet, it came when he was trying to get some perch on a $10 Walmart ultralight, 4 lb test, and hot pink tungsten jighead with 2 spikes on it!! So even tho I got skunked the memories will always be there. Might try and hit Huletts Landing Thursday, or go back to FAB......

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3944 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:05 AM »
Nice.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #3945 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:24 AM »
Congrats Ejp419, it's not always what we catch that makes the trip! Thanks for sharing!  :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline VomWillemstad K-9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HUNT•OUTDOORS•FISH™
« Reply #3946 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:27 AM »

Awesome job EJP Jr.!!!

Adrian
Catskill Outdoors
HUNT | OUTDOORS | FISH™

Find Us and Follow Us Everywhere:

Facebook • Instagram • Twitter • YouTube • Pinterest

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3947 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:25 AM »
[quote author=ejp419 link=topic=2300 Better yet, it came when he was trying to get some perch on a $10 Walmart ultralight, 4 lb test, and hot pink tungsten jighead with 2 spikes on it!! URL=http://s194.photobucket.com/user/ejp419/media/IMG_20140323_154517.jpg.html][/URL]
[/quote]Looks like ejp did'nt lose any jig on that rod & reel. Nice fish ejp. gotta know how to use what ya got. ;D

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #3948 on: Mar 24, 2014, 07:02 AM »

Sounds like you had a good day Terry!
Paul

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3949 on: Mar 24, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Yeah sounds like your in need of a nils then terry.  I love the fin bor I got, amazing for the price.  I can cut a hole faster than a power auger with it, but  only one lol.  The power auger would totally win if it were a first to drill five holes. 

Now eastern may have bumped his head just before commenting on the lg perch.  You gotta realize bud, lg won't get fished out,  let em have it.  It's a great body of water that I love fishing, that I limit on most always, and have no trouble with lakers. If you have a honey hole, keep it to your self.  Teasing others may get you company. And I'm not sure your.     "ice"  shanty can't support more then two.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3950 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Another vote for the Nils.  I picked up a second Nils cutting head from Cabelas as a back up and just sent the original head out to Frank DeLuca in MN for re-sharpening for $20 bucks!  Since we're limited to hand augers only down home, you appreciate the Nils -vs- other brands that are available.  The Moras and Strikemasters (I have one of each) are plenty good but the Nils are just that much better!  I recently also purchased the Ice Master adaptor for cordless drills to use with the Strikemaster flutes and they are pretty impressive especially with a 6" flute.  If you have an 18V cordless like a DeWalt or Rigid and bring an extra battery pack, you're good all day.  Last week we drilled at least 20 holes with the 6" flute through 20" of ice and we were still on the first battery pack!  Just some food for thought for other practical options.

Good luck-Mike

Offline Hondo419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3951 on: Mar 24, 2014, 04:16 PM »
EJP

Nice set-up.  Must have been the weekend for first lakers on Wal-Mart jigging set-ups.  My son did the same thing, same rod combo, pink jig head 2 spikes and pulled a 23" laker out on Saturday afternoon in Huddle in the first hole cut within 15 minutes of being on the ice.  Nothing better than having your kids get their firsts and being able to share it with them.

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3952 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:06 PM »

I love catching lakers on my clam ultralight with 4lb test. I've landed 6 lakers this season from 23"- 28.5" and only lost one who shook the hook, but didn't lose the lure. I don't jig for lakers but each year I seem to catch several while fishing for perch. It comes down to patience and drag set.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3953 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I'm posting on this thread because I've gotten to read and absorb many of your comments and have found your tips and opinions valuable.. I've sold my down riggers and while the season is pretty much already over, i'd like to take the money and buy some ice fishing gear for next season.. The main purchase is a gas auger.. followed by a portable shanty.  I've pretty much got my mind set on Eskimo Z51 8".. My question is, if i'm trying to avoid big box retail prices, does anyone have  a recommendation for where else i can go for this little doozy.. I've researched online and its hard to find any hidden gems with all of the search optimization that goes on. Everyone is paying to get their name on the first 3 pages and i'd like to find a mom and pop thats better served with my biz. Oh Oh and before i forget, feel free to recommend portable shanty's that you like.. I'm torn between the eskimo wide1 inferno and a shappell of some sort. Definately want the sled though.

-Steve
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3954 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:36 PM »
I'm posting on this thread because I've gotten to read and absorb many of your comments and have found your tips and opinions valuable.. I've sold my down riggers and while the season is pretty much already over, i'd like to take the money and buy some ice fishing gear for next season.. The main purchase is a gas auger.. followed by a portable shanty.  I've pretty much got my mind set on Eskimo Z51 8".. My question is, if i'm trying to avoid big box retail prices, does anyone have  a recommendation for where else i can go for this little doozy.. I've researched online and its hard to find any hidden gems with all of the search optimization that goes on. Everyone is paying to get their name on the first 3 pages and i'd like to find a mom and pop thats better served with my biz. Oh Oh and before i forget, feel free to recommend portable shanty's that you like.. I'm torn between the eskimo wide1 inferno and a shappell of some sort. Definately want the sled though.

-Steve

Call Nemecs in Warrensburg and ask for Chris. He should still have some and for good end of season prices!

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3955 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I love catching lakers on my clam ultralight with 4lb test. I've landed 6 lakers this season from 23"- 28.5" and only lost one who shook the hook, but didn't lose the lure. I don't jig for lakers but each year I seem to catch several while fishing for perch. It comes down to patience and drag set.
You are right on it takes patience and a good drag. I am three for four all 23 to 25 inches on either 4 or 2# test. The one that broke my line it was my fault reel spool had ice on it interfering with the drag and it was on 2# test. I did land one 23 incher on the 2 # with a noodle rod must have play him for 10+ minutes. These are all accidentals while jigging perch with 1/16th oz tungsten jigs. They are fun to catch!

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3956 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:05 PM »
2 things
i've used the fin bore and the nils both extensively (both 6 inch augers)
its not a competition in terms of performance the Nils is hand down a better performing auger
I think the fin bore is more rugged (the nils handles crack after extensive use, and replacing the auger head is big bucks)
All in all its a toss up- the fin bore is sooo much more bang for your buck and the nils in its prime is an ice cutting machine that is above and beyond the fin bore

"im getting a kick out of you guys fishing lg for perch.. seems like you guys would do a heck of a lot better on a different lake.. just my opinion.. as for the lakers. i gave up on them... always stealing my perch jigs..  dang sewer fish"

hahahahahahahahaa hit LG for the first time today since early feb (been smoking the crappies on Champlain, driving a truck to a shanty to chase flags, drink beer and hang out with buddies  trumps cold wheeler rides any day)
caught my limit out of one hole tonight, tell me where I can grab 50 perch that quick out of one hole anywhere else around here and i'll be there tomorrow champ
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3957 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:02 PM »

I think anyone that fishes the lake knows how ridiculous this is. Today was a good example 4 of us went out caught 200 keppers probably threw back 50 and if there was no limit we could of caught that many again easily.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3958 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I bought a nils/Tanaka 2 years ago, it cuts like butter still, it only acts up if I let ice freeze on the flutes.  Last year I bought a 4.5 inch nils hand auger and use that exclusively for jigging perch until 18 inches of ice...I'll take LG perch over the Champlain crappies for numbers any day, but I have caught multiple limits of 13-15 inch crappies there, and enjoy them a great deal...Hey, I love ice fishing, anywhere, any time...Barebow

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3959 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Well with a little luck I should have a 6" Nils for the weekend. Found one on craigslist and as long as I don't get scammed it should be here by Friday. If it wasn't for all the lakers I'd just stick with the 4.5" and with the Tanaka I might's well have a little extra room  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.