New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346727 times)

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3870 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Is anyone putting up numbers on Lakers the last week or so?  The ice thickness is making it hard to go searching.  I'd upgrade my auger but I'll wait to see if George even freezes next year.. 

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3871 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:14 PM »
... a good guesstimate for last decent ice, and still have reasonably good shore ice to get on, would be between March 26th (week from this Wednesday) though April 2nd (two Tuesdays from tomorrow) - then that'll be 'bout it - done !

... 9 to 14 day's left, "at very, very best" if that !

... it's a edjumocated guess !

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/12845
Ice is going to be around longer than that. Barely gets over 40 if that for next week and half. Then on that calendar from the link it shows "average" temp in the forecast. Not the actual forecasted temperature. We have been well below average temps all winter. Takes a while to knock out 20"+ of ice
Especially when nights are still below freezing.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3872 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
It just depends on how much the machines and bubblers tear up the shoreline.  Nothing sucks more than having a good 12-16" of decent ice left and having 20-30' of open water between you and it.  If the forecast stays as predicted,  I don't think the first weekend in April is out of the question. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3873 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:45 PM »
It just depends on how much the machines and bubblers tear up the shoreline.  Nothing sucks more than having a good 12-16" of decent ice left and having 20-30' of open water between you and it.  If the forecast stays as predicted,  I don't think the first weekend in April is out of the question.

That's basically what I get concerned about - the shorelines. I agree with Steve as far as melting down 20" of ice. It has been unusually cold this winter and it is still well below freezing at night. When I see high 40's for a week or so and lows of near freezing or warmer, I am pretty well finished. I am at least counting on a few weekends on LG and maybe one or 2 on south bay. It has to have even more ice up there and last a little longer.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3874 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:58 PM »
yup shorelines will the the first thing to go... sucks going out in the morning and having the shores all fine and when you come back in you bust throught on the last few feet and you go in past your knees... happens to me just about every year. thats when i call it quits

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3875 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:16 AM »

What you have to do is find an access that doesn't get much sun, they are few and far between. ::)

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3876 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Was out Sunday out of vets. On the ice by 6:15 caught decent perch around 40 lots of dinks! Brought 10 home over 8'' fished 28fow. Lost a giant laker spooled out 100yrds in about 35 sec. This was on a perch tipup 4lb test with a #12 hook and a fathead. Got her to the hole just got my hand on the back of its head '' was about the size of a rough cut 2x4''. All of a sudden it sanpped the line, the hook popped out caught my hand and down it went. My father and I replied at the same moment. Jeez that was a monster. It took up a lmost all of my 8" hole. Soaked my arm chasing it down the hole. That was at about 830 I never left till 12:30 lots of dink did well with a genz worm and a #8ratso. Awesome experience!  Are gaffs legal on The King??
!!FLAG!!

Fishmon

« Reply #3877 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Was out Sunday out of vets. On the ice by 6:15 caught decent perch around 40 lots of dinks! Brought 10 home over 8'' fished 28fow. Lost a giant laker spooled out 100yrds in about 35 sec. This was on a perch tipup 4lb test with a #12 hook and a fathead. Got her to the hole just got my hand on the back of its head '' was about the size of a rough cut 2x4''. All of a sudden it sanpped the line, the hook popped out caught my hand and down it went. My father and I replied at the same moment. Jeez that was a monster. It took up a lmost all of my 8" hole. Soaked my arm chasing it down the hole. That was at about 830 I never left till 12:30 lots of dink did well with a genz worm and a #8ratso. Awesome experience!  Are gaffs legal on The King??

Gaffs are legal on LG.  I only use the gaff if I hook into a trophy.  Most of the time you can get them headed into the hole if you have some patience.  When they get into the hole they lose their "reverse" gear and you can slide them out or pop the hook out with a pair of needle nose pliers.  The thick ice makes it a challenge; especially if you are cutting 6 inch holes.  It is fun to release them back into the hole and watch them wave good bye with their tail or give you a bath.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #3878 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:26 AM »

Gaffs are legal on George!  :tipup:
Paul

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #3879 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Yes gaffs are legal on Lake George, but only when fishing through the ice.  They cannot be used when fishing open water.  I have used the S.W.A.G. System for determining ice out on many lakes and it seems to be very accurate.  Lake George ice should no longer be safe after April 9th.

Eagle Ed

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3880 on: Mar 18, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Worth mentioning.
I switched from the gaff to a good set of Boga grips this year and have a lot of faith in them.
I had to retire the gaff to the back of the shed before one of my kids impaled themselves.  :P

They're good to have for landing and releasing pike and trout without hurting them bad.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3881 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Thanks I was just wondering the jaw grippers would of worked awesome if I had a pair. Oh well. Thanks for the info. And I hope we have safe ice into april!
!!FLAG!!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3882 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Worth mentioning.
I switched from the gaff to a good set of Boga grips this year and have a lot of faith in them.
I had to retire the gaff to the back of the shed before one of my kids impaled themselves.  :P

They're good to have for landing and releasing pike and trout without hurting them bad.

I love my Boga Grips!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3883 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I love my Boga Grips!

Do they work on fish too or just tiny baitfish like in your picture??   ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3884 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:55 AM »
JC, they're so precise I can pull nose hairs with them while I'm jigging for lakers!  :o

Offline crafty1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • don't fish dead holes
« Reply #3885 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM »
i use mine alot fishing,but i have the one thats like 3 feet long so works perfect w/o bending over into the hole.
just sitting and staring down an ice hole

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3886 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:29 PM »

Caught 5 all 26"-28" the bait was stacked up 10 feet thick every hole I drilled. Caught them in 2 hours on four tipups.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3887 on: Mar 18, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Fished for lakers today. Sucked!!!!! 1 laker and 3 chased. That's it! Weren't aggressive at all. Absolutely sick of the wind too. Better luck next time I hope

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3888 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:42 PM »
           I fished LG today, I didn't have any wind and I did good, I caught 8 Lakers lost 3 at the hole and had 5 misses. I had 1 keeper.

IW

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3889 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Nice fish nice day. Lucky you

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3890 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Nice pictures guys .

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3891 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Nice fish IW! I like the trailer set up too, very practical!

MK

Offline icepic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3892 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:13 PM »
how is perch bite plan on coming this wknd.usually fish harris but would like to explore driving over 2.5hrs anything app.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3893 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:49 PM »
how is perch bite plan on coming this wknd.usually fish harris but would like to explore driving over 2.5hrs anything app.
try the lg Perch thread man.lots of info

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3894 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Nice fish IW! I like the trailer set up too, very practical!

MK
               Thanks Mike, it is very convenient to travel like that, I don't have the stiff arms that your suppose to have for the sled, plus I can take a lot more people out. ;D

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3895 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Fished for lakers today. Sucked!!!!! 1 laker and 3 chased. That's it! Weren't aggressive at all. Absolutely sick of the wind too. Better luck next time I hope

Fished for lakers and perch today and sucked is right.  Didn't hear of anyone doing well that I spoke to.

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3896 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:52 PM »
So anyone know where I can pick up some jigs called scud bug ty

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3897 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:58 PM »
So anyone know where I can pick up some jigs called scud bug ty
Fish 307 had a few left of the one's that I like. The Northland Scud Bug.
They do carry a big assortment of Maki plastics also. I don't know for certain, but I'll bet they have some sort of scud imitation in that Maki display.
Due to my own success. I'd suggest the Northland scud if they have them.
The user adktony works for 307. He would know if they have any scuds in stock. Shoot him a pm
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3898 on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Fish 307 had a few left of the one's that I like. The Northland Scud Bug.
They do carry a big assortment of Maki plastics also. I don't know for certain, but I'll bet they have some sort of scud imitation in that Maki display.
Due to my own success. I'd suggest the Northland scud if they have them.
The user adktony works for 307. He would know if they have any scuds in stock. Shoot him a pm
hey ty I don't know how to pm or to look someone up but I will call 307 in the am ty again

Offline slab daddy 518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3899 on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:46 PM »
You can order scud bug directly from northland @ northlandtackle.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.