New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346775 times)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3690 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Guess I screwed up my last post.  I was trying to find out if there were many pressure ridges out around the south basin.  I was thinking of driving my truck out from the Million Dollar beach up to Warner Bay.  I am sure there is plenty of ice on most of the lake but the king scares me with the ridges.

Just don't drive between Assembly Point and Speaker Heck Island with a truck if you come up from the south.  That's one place to be real careful.  I would also come on at FAB and head south if you plan to drive to Warner.   

JJ

« Reply #3691 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I certainly wouldn't recommend driving "anywhere" on the lake if you don't know it that well.

As mentioned there are several areas with stronger currents that can have less ice, sometimes a lot less, than the rest of the lake. Montcalm Point (Tongue Mountain) and Speaker Heck as noted; plus between Turtle Island and Tongue Mountain, between Fourteen Mile Island and the Knapp Estate; lots of places in the Narrows.

Anywhere near dock bubblers can be a problem. I found only 4-6" almost 100 yds out from some open water around docks in Diamond Point last week, anyone driving through there would be in trouble.

Old pressure cracks always deserve respect when crossing them.

JJ

« Reply #3692 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Some pics from last weekend.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3693 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Beautiful pictures Captain JJ!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3695 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Nice photo's JJ.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3696 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Nice pics JJ! The youngster must have been pumped.

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3697 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Are there any Lake trout off of Warners Bay? I know in the bay its mainly perch, bass, and pike.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3698 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Just wondering, are people driving from PK out to Dome Island?  By trucks?  I saw them on east side last weekend, but none went across the middle.  As everyone has been saying, plenty of ice out there, but wasn't sure about pressure cracks.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3699 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Just wondering, are people driving from PK out to Dome Island?  By trucks?  I saw them on east side last weekend, but none went across the middle.  As everyone has been saying, plenty of ice out there, but wasn't sure about pressure cracks.

I was out at Dome island last weekend and there is a big pressure crack out there. I wouldnt even think about driving out there to be honest. Kind of stupid.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3700 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:10 PM »
That's where I saw the trucks that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't wanna press my luck, I will stick to a quad.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3701 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I was out at Dome island last weekend and there is a big pressure crack out there. I wouldnt even think about driving out there to be honest. Kind of stupid.
Ok...thanks.  I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3702 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Three days ago I was about a half mile north of long island and there was 2 full size  pickups parked bumper to bumper north of me they took off and headed north somewhere towards dome.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3703 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Yup the truck I seen was over to  the east side of   dome  . kind of crazy  if you ask me .

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3704 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Ok...thanks.  I'd rather be safe than sorry.

its easy walking out there. Take advantage of it the safe way imo.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3705 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Three days ago I was about a half mile north of long island and there was 2 full size  pickups parked bumper to bumper north of me they took off and headed north somewhere towards dome.

Yeah, I saw them last weekend, they even had a quad in the back on Sunday, but they got off at Pilot Knob, never saw them cross the lake.  I'm light and pack light, so I'll walk out, thank god there is no snow on top anymore.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3706 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Went out from PK today out towards the middle of the lake. At least 20" of beautiful ice out there! Blew out one of the planetary gears on my power auger and three of us had to share one 8" hand auger.  What a roast!  >:(
We're all scheduled for arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery for next week!  ;D 
Very few fish marked and poor chasing. Despite Very slow bite, managed 10 lakers!

Good luck to all this weekend!
MK

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3707 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Yeah trucks are fine on the ice but the deepest part  ???  Does the truck have a hole in the floor  or do u just jig out the window.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3708 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Nice job Jagger . You always seem to get into them even when the bite was off

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3709 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Nice job Jagger . You always seem to get into them even when the bite was off

Thanks Dave!

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3710 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Nice job, Mike!  Must've been a beautiful day. 

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3711 on: Mar 08, 2014, 04:31 AM »
Went out from PK today out towards the middle of the lake. At least 20" of beautiful ice out there! Blew out one of the planetary gears on my power auger and three of us had to share one 8" hand auger.  What a roast!  >:(
We're all scheduled for arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery for next week!  ;D 
Very few fish marked and poor chasing. Despite Very slow bite, managed 10 lakers!

Good luck to all this weekend!
MK
Hi Mike, heard you might be up on yesterday.  Need to go electric. Must of been a really nice day out their.  Indian Lake today, then Durant tomorrow.  Talk with you soon.

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3712 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Jager61. Very impressive catch and those 8 inch augers can be a bear. I've learned a tremendous amount of info on lake trout fishing from your posts and my success rate has been improving on them. I've made 2 trips to LG and have managed to catch at least one on both trips.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3713 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Yeah Bill, I see an Ion in my future! Good luck on Indian and Durant and will be up with Swags and Res Dog next weekend!

New Ice, glad I can be of help. That's the beauty of this forum as well as MFF. Pretty much everything I know about ice fishing I learned right here from so many great friends on this very Forum and from the staff at Fish307! Of course, there's no better way to learn the specific details than time on the ice! An awesome Wife who puts up with me doesn't hurt either! Lol!

Continued success Bro!
MK

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3714 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:03 AM »

"Keep popping holes until you find em". Is the best advice I've heard since I started laker fishing this year.  I think somebody has that saying next to their handle..  Anyway I thought it sounded crazy looking for a hole with 3-4 lakers in it a the same time but we found them.  That was very early PK was still open.  I've had a few 5,6,7 fish days and 95% of those lakers were caught on the same sweetish pimple. I replaced the hooks several times until my new defective Diawa rod cut my line when the rod loaded up on a laker. 

? For the vet laker guys is the next few weeks of laker fishing going to be like the first few weeks.  I've always heard first ice last ice is best but unsure if that was for lakers or just perch and stuff.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3715 on: Mar 08, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Laker bite was little slow today for us. We caught 8. Beautiful day to be out on the ice for sure. A lot of guys out. Some guys really need to learn how to park or be more considerate anyways. Pretty simple concept really.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3716 on: Mar 08, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Laker bite was little slow today for us. We caught 8. Beautiful day to be out on the ice for sure. A lot of guys out. Some guys really need to learn how to park or be more considerate anyways. Pretty simple concept really.

Did you try where we went the other day?

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3717 on: Mar 08, 2014, 02:38 PM »
He's saving that spot until tuesday bro. ;) ;) ;) Steve nice pic you sent me Congrats on that one. :clap: :clap:

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3718 on: Mar 08, 2014, 03:52 PM »
My buddy Scott's daughter Kaylie with her First Laker.Congrats young lady :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3719 on: Mar 08, 2014, 03:59 PM »
My buddy Scott's daughter Kaylie with her First Laker.Congrats young lady :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Very nice  :bow:
My buddy Scott's daughter caught her first Laker also today. Her name is Savanagh and I bet he'll post a picture shortly also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.