New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346669 times)

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3630 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Does anyone know any places to park on the east side of the lake.  Any of the marinas allow parking (Harris )?  I called pilot knob and they said no because of problems in the past.  Thanks for any info.

Pilot knob has a lot of parking on the ice now.  Looked pretty easy getting on and off. 

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #3631 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Pilot knob has a lot of parking on the ice now.  Looked pretty easy getting on and off.

Thanks.   The man I talked to told me they were parking at fort ann beach up the road.  I wanted to try in the south bays.  Anybody park by Dunhams or Harris boat clubs.  Thanks
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline multispeciesangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3632 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:19 PM »
6 lb test for lakers is plenty, the important thing is a reel with a good drag; the undersize reels that come with most ice combos don't cut it. I like the Maxima Ultragreen line and use it with customers that have never fished before (summer and winter).

I fished lakers with 4 lb for several years and had no problems other than the occasional bite-off, or fish gator rolling around the line. Here's a 32" trout caught on 4 lb:

(Image removed from quote.)
New to the site and browsing. Great laker on light line!

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3633 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:19 PM »
tourny went great !! perchslayer will post official stats but i know that the biggest perch was a monster 13.75" all was well despite the wind and really choppy ice.

Offline multispeciesangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3634 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:20 PM »
You can catch bass on 6 lb test, too.  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)
Real Pigster. Get a weight on that TOAD?

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3635 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:38 PM »
How was the wind out there today?  Any salmon?

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3636 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:20 PM »
All alone today on Blairs Bay.  Finally, the bigger fish started to hit.  Kept a 23" and 24" for dinner.  Marked plenty of fish, and were a bit aggressive coming off bottom.  All hook ups were 10-15' off the bottom.   Wind was wicked but walking conditions were great.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3637 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:19 AM »
All alone today on Blairs Bay.  Finally, the bigger fish started to hit.  Kept a 23" and 24" for dinner.  Marked plenty of fish, and were a bit aggressive coming off bottom.  All hook ups were 10-15' off the bottom.   Wind was wicked but walking conditions were great.

AWESOME MIKE! Nice work. I'll be up there this friday thru sunday. Probably wont get to blairs unless i attempt to hit the nose.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3638 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:03 PM »
30 " laker on perch set up

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3639 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:09 PM »

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3640 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Congrats...nice looking fish! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3641 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:39 PM »
fished paulists father today no trout.bait out the butt.not a lot of trout in the area. :icefish:

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3642 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Making my first trip to the King this weekend. I have a spot picked out, but was wondering what depth range has been most productive for lakers.
Pete

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3643 on: Mar 03, 2014, 08:20 PM »
lakers. 5-10 feet deep, any where in the water column in 5-10 ft of water has a really good chance :)..... just messing.. 70-100 ' bottom - 10' off bottom
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3644 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Try the perch grounds.   Heard a lot of trout being caught in the perch grounds latley.  I got 2 on Saturday jigging for perch
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3645 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Great tips! Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to get into some healthy fish after the Otsego Lake snakes from last weekend.
Pete

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3646 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Finally dedicated a whole day to jiggimng Lakers, I had a buddy that went with me and wanted to set up tipups. Spent the whole day in same whole and landed 17 lost a couple, lots of shorts 4 were over 23" biggest 25" so no slobs but plenty of action, he only caught one on his tipups I think he is ordering flasher tonight.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3647 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Finally dedicated a whole day to jiggimng Lakers, I had a buddy that went with me and wanted to set up tipups. Spent the whole day in same whole and landed 17 lost a couple, lots of shorts 4 were over 23" biggest 25" so no slobs but plenty of action, he only caught one on his tipups I think he is ordering flasher tonight.
Congrats on a good day. Let a buddy of mine use mine one day and he'd bought his own later that week. Great tool...especially for Lakers.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3648 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Will always have the Vex with me, there is no other way to fish! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3649 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Just bought my showdown a few weeks ago specifically for Lakers. I use it perching but don't really need it I would never go out and strictly try to jig Lakers without one though, its a game changer when it comes to Lakers.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3650 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:32 PM »
All depends where you're fishing.  I personally prefer flats that consist of 45-55'.  At this depth, there is often optimal forage in the area (perch,smelt).  If you use electronics, you will notice smelt suspend anywhere from 10-45' off the bottom.  The actively feeding lakers won't be too far behind these smelt balls.  If the smelt are 25' off bottom, I start jigging there.  Look for active fish! Lakers are everywhere in that lake, actively feeding pods of lakers are not.  Keep seeing them down there and no bite, just keep moving until you find active fish (obviously keep changing lures until you find one they seem to be coming up at more aggressively).  For tip ups hang suckers from 5 to 0' off bottom.  Personally I find jigging to be the best method and don't bother with traps most days.  If you have a Marcum or Vex it helps, of not take any old fish finder and rig it to a lawn mower battery with alligator clips, it does the trick just the same.  For jigging, use anything that imitates a smelt.  Swedish pimples, tubes, kodiaks, big silver jigging raps… You'll find that once you can see how the fish react to your bait you can usually eventually figure them out in a day.  If they zoom up to your jig at mock 10 and don't bite, try ripping it away from them as they come up.  If they won't follow you up, usually a new lure does the trick.  Don't be afraid to really rip your jig when they come up to it.  The less of a good look they get at it the better.  Concentrated smelt oil on a lure does't do anything to hurt.  Keep moving your lure up and down the water column.  Sometimes they won't come up to a lure if it isn't at the same level as where the smelt are at.  Don't be afraid to rip a jig in the upper third of the water column.  Good luck! :tipup:

great tips buddy!

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3651 on: Mar 05, 2014, 03:56 AM »
Fished out of vets yesterday.The ice is the worst i've ever seen.The fish were there but would not bite.Gona try again today.Hope i can find some hot fish. :icefish:

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3652 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:14 AM »
we fished off the steel pier in hauge over the weekend and did pretty good,got 6 lakers,3 short,one 24,one 26 and one nice one at 29. had my 13 year old nephew up and he got his first ever laker on a jig rod. that kid was prouder than a peacock. said he can't wait to come up again. i think i enjoyed it more than he did . the look on his face was priceless when he saw that laker thru the hole!
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3653 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I just had a question about lakers. I know that they feed on smelt and have had good luck in the past locating lakers within the schools of smet but do they feed on perch as well?

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3654 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I just had a question about lakers. I know that they feed on smelt and have had good luck in the past locating lakers within the schools of smet but do they feed on perch as well?
Absolutely!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3655 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:27 PM »

yes.   Most of the time I've seen them on the perch grounds though, they are actually chasing darters and sculpins out of the grass beds and eating them.  But lakers are opportunistic.   We had one a few weeks ago that spit up a largemouth!

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3656 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:24 PM »
I have cleaned a laker with a  11 inch  perch in it stomach. 

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3657 on: Mar 05, 2014, 05:24 PM »
I hooked into a monster laker today on Vets using 4lb with an ultralight jigging perch. I was able to get him up to the bottom of the hole, but couldn't get him up. This fish was the biggest I've personally ever hooked into on LG. His back looked as wide as the 8" hole. I've caught a LOT of 26-30" fish and this made them look small. At least I got to see him!

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3658 on: Mar 05, 2014, 05:33 PM »
fished out hearth stone today.got a couple of shorts.saw a lot of fish. :icefish:

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3659 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Goin up in the morning . Gonna fish then take the shanty off the lake .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.