New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346683 times)

Offline Tommyboyl

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3510 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Yesterday feb 20 I was out near dome island with wheeler I had chains on rear of 4wd quad was slow going but did not get stuck just to let u guys know if u where wondering also the bite was on for me and my buddy 8 lakers on the ice ranging between 18" -23" no lunkers but a fun day all on tip ups no jiggin for us

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3511 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:24 AM »
I reeled a 21"  in, in 35fow with a 24" micro lite and 4# its oll in how you handle the fish. That was exciting.  I found 5lb fluro is good for lakers and not to heavy for perch either!

you can catch lakers all day on tiny perch setup's.

The problem when you get a laker on a tiny perch setup, is when its a big one....32" +. Your chances of getting then in with the perch setup is slim to none.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #3512 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:26 AM »
I reeled a 21"  in, in 35fow with a 24" micro lite and 4# its oll in how you handle the fish. That was exciting.  I found 5lb fluro is good for lakers and not to heavy for perch either!

It's all weather or not you want to 'play' them or just crank them in as quick as possible. Remember the latter is much better for ensuring the fish will not end up exhausted and will live to grow bigger and fight another day. Neither way is wrong, just personal preference. I like going as light as possible for any species I'm targeting.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3513 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:30 AM »
iv been using 8lb floro leaders and after the last couple weeks I want something heavier. the headshaking especially at the hole can just be too much for 8lb imo. sure you can catchem on perch set ups but your going to lose a lot of the bigger fish on those set ups.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3514 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:22 AM »
It's all weather or not you want to 'play' them or just crank them in as quick as possible. Remember the latter is much better for ensuring the fish will not end up exhausted and will live to grow bigger and fight another day. Neither way is wrong, just personal preference. I like going as light as possible for any species I'm targeting.
Good point man.
I made a vow this year to catch 50 trout on a UL pole I had built by Tony at 307.
I had to call it quits after having to pull 2 fish back out of the water to take home this year. I definitely exhausted them too much.
Thankfully they were both keepers.
All of my released trout in perch grounds have seemed really healthy, but it's just too much of a fight for the fish in 100+ fow.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3515 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Deffinetly need to know how to play them to get them to the hole on an ul. But it is a blast!
!!FLAG!!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #3516 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:22 AM »
             Last year I landed a 10lb laker with a Ice Blue 30" light rod w/2 lb. Trans Optic line. What a blast that was. Like stated it's all how you play the fish.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3517 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Well said, patience, skill and a little luck will bring the head up through the hole. Play the fish, don't let it play you! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3518 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I was there last weekend and got on from Vets Beach. The snow was deep but was able to get around by walking in the 4-wheeler and snowmobile tracks. I witnessed a 4-wheeler crash into a pressure crack that was hidden by the snow. Luckily the guy was ok and two other guys on 4-wheelers helped him get going again. I imagine the conditions this weekend will be quite a mess if we get a lot of rain.

Fishmon

« Reply #3519 on: Feb 21, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Was out yesterday near Hague.  Very sloppy conditions.  If you are on a 4 wheeler, chains are a good idea.   They give you that extra bite that comes in handy when you hit a snow drift.  Areas where people have cut holes are particularly nasty.   Lakers were cooperating; just a big mess getting around. This weather will not help, but maybe next week things will freeze up to the point where it will be much easier getting around.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3520 on: Feb 21, 2014, 02:07 PM »
yesterday went out from vets.  Walking is good only on the main trail going out. Most other areas have 6 or more inches of snow and an equal amount of slush  under it.  In many areas as you walk your feet  will go right down to the hard ice. Some of the trails from snowmobiles crisscrossing are good enough to walk on. The 4 wheelers were having difficulty and you really cant walk on  their trails. In the morning slush was sticking to my sled and freezing making it tougher to pull . Once temp got above freeezing this was not a problem. Its doable but give some thought to your route. Probably not the weekend to bring young kids or a clam flip shelter. There are old holes open under the snow that dont show talked to one fellow who stepped in a ten inch hole up past his knee.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3521 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Totally agree with Mike.  Let the Lakers play themselves out then bring 'em to the hole.  You still get alot of head shaking but it's not as bad.  Only thing I'd add is the importance of a good knot!  It doesn't matter if you have 50 pound test if the knot is bad.  Jager61 showed me a good knot recently that I have confidence in.  The other good thing to have is a gripper/scale.  This tool also lessens your stress level at the hole.  Unfortunately, it took about 4 yrs for me to learn this and a couple lost fish.  I'd love to hear what any of the vets have to add to these comments.

Congrats to the guys who are starting to get after the Lakers this year!

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #3522 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Caught 4 lakers toady on > 4lb test.  Two of them were on 2lb test with ultra light action 24" rod.  Just have to fight them the right way, back reel, or adjust drag accordingly.  Had drag buttoned down for hookset cause there is a lot of stretch in 100ft of 2lb mono then backed off as I fought them.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3523 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Of course you can catch any size fish on very light tackle just have to set the drag correctly and adjust as the fish gets tired. But by the time you bring them through the hole they are almost lifeless, and that can be the most fun part of fighting a laker. I'd rather be able to fight them a little at the hole and release a lively fish if its short, also you never know when you are going to hook into a real trophy and I don't want to be out gunned then.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3524 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:33 PM »
no reason to use anything less than 8 or 10# leader material (flouro). Thin diameter 12# good flouro is the way to go imo.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3525 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Caught 4 lakers toady on > 4lb test.  Two of them were on 2lb test with ultra light action 24" rod.  Just have to fight them the right way, back reel, or adjust drag accordingly.  Had drag buttoned down for hookset cause there is a lot of stretch in 100ft of 2lb mono then backed off as I fought them.
Good point about the drag.  I had to learn that the hard by hooking up and loosing four in a row a couple of weeks ago because my drag was set TOO light.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3526 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:25 AM »
 I have a large group going out of MBD tommorow.
Would appreciate a report on the ice conditions.
Trucks and wheelers out there?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Fishmon

« Reply #3527 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I have a large group going out of MBD tommorow.
Would appreciate a report on the ice conditions.
Trucks and wheelers out there?

If you have a 4 wheeler, I would put chains on for extra grip.  Slush under the snow makes it tough to get traction especially when dragging gear or another person. 

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3528 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Hey Wanderer!  I was just thinking that with the full beard and sunglasses how much you reminded me of one of those Ewoks from Star Wars!!   LOL   
Sorry, had to say it...Tight lines,  good fishing and be safe...After all, it is a BS thread......Barebow   ;D

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3529 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:27 AM »
             Last year I landed a 10lb laker with a Ice Blue 30" light rod w/2 lb. Trans Optic line. What a blast that was. Like stated it's all how you play the fish.

Awesome Laker Jeff! I missed this one last year! Was it late season? I had already check out in mid March for my surgery so I lost contact. A late congrats Bro!

MK

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3530 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Did great on lakers today.  It seemed once the wind really picked up they shut off. Thanks to the unknown guys who helped us out with our broken down quad. One guy towed the quad back with my buddy and then some guy came out of nowhere and gave me a ride back. Walking back was sucking pretty bad. Really appreciate the help and good to know there still is guys that will help complete strangers. We really appreciate it!

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #3531 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Just Curious...what's great? WE got three today before the wind shut the bite off. Missed a couple more

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3532 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Piece of equipment found off Bixby road today, IM me with what you lost, will try and get it back to you...only 1 piece guys...Barebow

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3533 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Hats off to the guys that helped you. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3534 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:32 PM »
I know it's sloppy out there but how much snow melted at vets? Thinking of traveling light tomorrow after some perch just wanna know what to expect
Jason

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3535 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Kingfisher, I  was the next bay over @ Bixby, there was a crust on top that you break through, about 6 inches of slush and 3 inches of water under the slush.  Put the transducer on a cleared spot, shot right through the ice to check bottom depth and could see some fish, they did not bite, or if they did, the 25-30 MPH wind gust would not allow feeling the bite...Barebow ???

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3536 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:30 PM »
It wasnt as bad as i was expecting twoards the end of the day top layer got soft. No fish but had a bald eagle pick up one of my dead suckers right off the ice
Lines tight and flags up

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3537 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Just Curious...what's great? WE got three today before the wind shut the bite off. Missed a couple more
Well, we did great for us anyways. Myself and my buddy caught 10 laker's for the day also missed a few. All caught before 10:30. Then it was a dead zone.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3538 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:06 PM »
i think he was asking WHY  you can't take smelt out of lake george. i have no idea.
cause the good book says so!!! ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3539 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Heading to Vets tomorrow and haven't been out since Wednesday; what's my best bet.....snowmobile or ATV? Thanks for the heads up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.