New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346687 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3480 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Earlier posts mentioned slushy pockets and/or 6 inchs of slushy water. What the latest? Is that everywhere? I'd like to come up sat & sund with my son but with that kind of water it may actualy swallow up his boots. Any updates on conditions would be much apprecaited.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3481 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Earlier posts mentioned slushy pockets and/or 6 inchs of slushy water. What the latest? Is that everywhere? I'd like to come up sat & sund with my son but with that kind of water it may actualy swallow up his boots. Any updates on conditions would be much apprecaited.
It will be a mess. Rain and temps in the mid 40's for next 3 days. Its going be wet.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3482 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Myself and my buddy targeted lakers for the 1st time yesterday. We ended up catching 6. Kept 3 of them.  2, 23" and a 25". Not huge but not bad for first time really. Fished a lot shallower water than most would. Marked fish and had them chase all day. Stayed at same hole for the day. Awesome fights on UL jig poles and ML poles. Here are a couple pics.
23"

25"5lbs

4 lakers chasing my jig at 25'

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #3483 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
It will be a mess. Rain and temps in the mid 40's for next 3 days. Its going be wet.
Might want to bust out the WADERS

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3484 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Steve awesome job on the lakers. :clap: :clap:.Nice pics Well worth it considering you were sitting in 6" of water.I'm heading back up Friday.Shoot me a pm if your going. :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3485 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Might want to bust out the WADERS

I ice fished with a friend a few years back who wears the Cabelas heavy weight neoprene chest waders with the built in PAC boots that are insulated.  He swear by this get up and stays warm and dry in the worst slush and water conditions.  I'm tempted to do this but I gotta be honest it Freaks me out at the thought of going through and sinking! Anyone else use them?  If you wear a safety belt to prevent water from coming in do they float ?

MK

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3486 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:20 AM »
I probably want to go ice fishing more than anyone right now but can't bring myself to try walking through that mess, let alone pulling my gear. Warmer temps, snow, water, slush, and a forcast of up to 4" of more crap coming tonight (allegedly) makes me sick. The closest I am getting to actually fishing is reading posts here on IS and obtaining more gear. Hats off to those a lot less wimpy than me to walk through this. Next week the temps are supposed to go way down again. I am thinking the water/slush will refreeze and things will be much better. Just a prediction. When I go....I'll be ready with all my stuff. Now if I can only get something (besides my jigs) on my line....

IcefisherSteve - Nice pics! I am getting interested in Laker fishing and plan on trying for them next weekend. I've caught them by accident going for perch but I want to target them specifically. Hoping my new Marcum LX7 will give me an advantage. Tight lines!
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3487 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Everybody is gonna have an opinion on flashers but I think you are gonna LOVE your LX7.i bought one before icefishing started this year and I am completely amazed by it.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3488 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:51 AM »
looking at huddel bay and wiuld like to know where access would be. Is there a road off 9n??

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #3489 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:58 AM »
looking at huddel bay and wiuld like to know where access would be. Is there a road off 9n??

Sure, it's called Huddle Beach Rd :laugh:

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3490 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:01 AM »
How much ice is under all the slop?
Lines tight and flags up

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3491 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:54 AM »
No really...its true! ;D
Stay Frosty

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3492 on: Feb 20, 2014, 12:01 PM »
How much ice is under all the slop?
over a foot of ice

Offline Izayah12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3493 on: Feb 20, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Thank you
Lines tight and flags up

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3494 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:09 PM »
Technically it's called Huddle Bay Road.

Offline P Merrill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3495 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Got off the ice a few hours ago at Vets....what a mess! I was bogging down at times with my snowmobile and watched quad after quad struggle to get around. Perch shut off right around 10 but I managed around 40....only a few jumbos. The slush/snow combo makes going difficult. Good luck!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3496 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Yeah it's a mess was also on my sled and it go bogged down pretty good a few times in slush, gonna be a mess at least for the weekend but if current forecast holds were going to end up with 4-6 inches of slush ice on top off the foot of good ice and we'll be fishing into april  ;D ;D :o

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3497 on: Feb 20, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Just got off the ice at vets.  If you get off the packed trail its a mess lots of areas have 6+ inches of snow over about the same of slush. In the morning that wet slush would freeze to the bottom of the sled making it real tough to pull it. Most places as you walk you go right down thru the slush to teh ice. Same as others have said fish shut down by 10 had 16 perch then left at 2 had total of 19.  Did get my first legal laker this year on a perch jig ing rod with 4# test . Took 10 minutes to get him in.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3498 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Thanks for the reports guys.so who's goin out in this mess tomorrow. I know I will be out. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3499 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Thank you gonna try there tomorrow

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3500 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Im going out. Not sure where but im going. Its a vacation day for me and I can't sit home.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3501 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:41 PM »
I got out today at Pilots knob.

got out there around 9am, after dropping my son off at daycare. Tried new water, and fished much shallower then usual. This time I targeted to top, shallows of the ledges, and it got my my first laker (25") by 10:30am in 28' of water. He actually slammed my little perch jig. Came right up off the bottom.

Moved around all day. Ended up going south on the shallow edge of the ledges and in 30ft, on the edge of 120ft of water, I hooked into a big girl right on the bottom. I faught her for a good 10 minutes (on a medium rod with 12lb mono) and I just couldnt get her head into the hole. She was head shaking like crazy. Finally right at the hole she dropped it and I slowly watched her swim away. She was a 30"+ fish. Very nice, and depressing lol. Ended up hooking into another one at 55ft shortly after but she dropped it right away, beyond my control...Got off the lake at 3:30 to go get my son.

Walking is tough out there. Alot of slop under those big snow drifts. quads getting stuck everywhere.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3502 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Sounds like you had fun! I am new to Laker fishing and was about to put 7lb flurocarbon on. Maybe that's not a great idea.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3503 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Sounds like you had fun! I am new to Laker fishing and was about to put 7lb flurocarbon on. Maybe that's not a great idea.
My "laker rod" has 6# on it...Basically it's the only pole I have that has over 4# so I call it my laker rod lol. Looking into purchasing a real laker set up in the very near future.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3504 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:04 PM »

the first one I got, I was using my ultralight with 6lb flouro on it, which is my perch setup. It was a hassle trying to get that 25" laker in on that setup. Not because of the line, but because of the rod. I had 5 jigging setup's and who wouldnt have thought my weakest one gets the laker lol.

7lb floro is plenty strong enough if you play it right.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3505 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:12 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking. I have caught Lakers going for perch on 4lb/6lb test and have read a lot of posts from people catching on perch set ups. I just bought 2 jig rods that I plan on using for Lakers. They are bigger than the perch rods I have. They are 30" medium actions - 1 Fenwick and 1 Ugly Stick. I plan on setting them up with 7lb fluro.

Offline crappiepants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3506 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Today at Fish307 we received a New shipment of 6" and 8" Finn-Bore Pro hand augers. 6" is $89.99 and 8" is $99.99. We also still have StrikeMaster Honda Lite Four-stroke 8", StrikeMaster Lazer-Mag 10" and StrikeMaster Magnum 10" Ice augers. 1-Vexilar FL-18 Ultra pack. 2-Clam Fish Trap Scout portable ice shelter's. 1-Clam Six Pack 1660 Mag Hub ice fishing shelter. and 3-Shappell Kodiak XL heavy duty ice sled,s. In stock.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3507 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I have 12# floro leader don't need it for most of the fight but when you get a bigger fish around the hole rubbing your leader on the edge of the hole I like the extra strength, also never known a laker to be leader shy.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3508 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:23 AM »
I USE 15LB FIRELINE AND 12LB FLUROCARBON AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3509 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:44 AM »
I reeled a 21"  in, in 35fow with a 24" micro lite and 4# its oll in how you handle the fish. That was exciting.  I found 5lb fluro is good for lakers and not to heavy for perch either!
!!FLAG!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.