New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346688 times)

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3060 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Went out today and found some bigger ones, probably got a dozen in that 11" to 13" range mixed in.

Offline Joecotton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3061 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Thanks bigfish1212.  It's good to know they're there someplace.  We'll give it a shot. 

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3062 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:06 PM »
From Crossroads Facebook page tonight, they say it was caught in Lake George
Ray Little with a real nice Laker!
13 pound Lake Trout
34 inches
Feb. 8th 2014
Tony

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3063 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Thats a really nice fish right there..

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3064 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:17 PM »
13 pound Lake Trout
34 inches
Feb. 8th 2014

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3065 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:18 PM »
just try out this lol

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3066 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Beauty of a laker Tony! Congrats to the fisherman!

MK

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3067 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Made some crispy perch tonight.  Flour, egg, pAnko/crushed saltines = the BOMB

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3068 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:42 PM »
^* with some jumbo perch!! From LG!  We didn't get a lot but they were HUGE !  They were nice sized.  Lon:123:12 lat: 23:45
:)

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3069 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Nice fish mate! .. FIshed the morning with VT Mike and his father in law joe. Great guys.. Enjoyed their company and i enjoyed watching Joe catch a laker not using electronics while mike had 3 or 4 fish near his marcum  not getting much action lol! j/k mike.. had fun with you guys. thanks for showing me blairs bay! hope you did better after i left.
Caught a couple more shorts early in the afternoon.  The place was a ghost town by 1pm.  Fish were in shallower in the afternoon, if you can call 80-90 feet shallow.  Nice meeting you.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3070 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:03 PM »
13 pound Lake Trout
34 inches
Feb. 8th 2014

Wooooohoooo!!  That fish is noice!

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3071 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:04 PM »
So folks, are these bigger lakers typically caught on tip-ups or jigging? I have had good luck jigging up some lakers this year but the biggest 2 were 24". My goal is to catch a 30" LT this year.  My buddy tells me that the chances of me catching a 10lb fish while jigging are not very good. He says they are too lazy to chase a jig 30-40-50ft. Lately when I go out I have been leaving my tip ups in the car because I would rather move around a little bit and find a spot where I seeing them come by fairly often. The last 2 times I have been out I have put 4-5 fish on the ice as well as loosing several each time. Another question I have is, if you are seeing a good amount of fish and catching them but they are all in the 18-22" range, do you move or do you stay and hope a bigger one comes by?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3072 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm more proud of this fish or the snotsicles.  ;D

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3073 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Quick question. I plan on going out to the King tomorrow and have never fished for lakers before. Looks like the deepest contour off Vet's is 60 ft. Do you guys keep the tipups a foot off the bottom for lakers, or just under the ice, or how do you figure the depth to leave your bait?

Thanks
Get the flag!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3074 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:04 PM »
You can catch them anywhere in the water column especially if they are chasing smelt, but 1-3 foot off bottom will be the most consistent bite.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3075 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm more proud of this fish or the snotsicles.  ;D

Very Nice Jamey! Great pic!

MK

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3076 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:25 AM »
I've always thought I was one hardcore son of a gun.
Then... I met my offspring.  ;D
Started our day at 0 degrees and still had to fight to keep gloves and a hat on that kid.  :P
Judging by this pic. I lost.  ;D

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3077 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:38 AM »
Yeah I can picture jake out there with his hands beet red saying. Hold on there is a fish down there
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3078 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:57 AM »
Yeah I can picture jake out there with his hands beet red saying. Hold on there is a fish down there
Had to force him in the shanty for 5 minutes yesterday to warm his hands. I felt like I was a CO shoving an inmate into a cell.
Proud moments!  ;D

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #3079 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:08 AM »
I'm going to stop by this afternoon. 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3080 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:13 AM »
It's nice to see your boy is out there with you.I imagine in a few years, if not already, he will be a fish catching machine :thumbsup: :clap:.He definitely has a good instructor.Nice pic Jamey

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3081 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:36 AM »
I'm going to stop by this afternoon.
Taking it easy today. I won't be out until later on too.
I've fished all but 2 days since the madness went down and somehow haven't connected the 'ol lady with a trout.
It's her turn this afternoon.

I ended up with 11 tipups at or near the bottom in 100+ fow for the boys and I.  ;)
Lot of dang work for 2 fish. The only 2 fish came on dead suckers that I sliced up the gut. Laid right on the bottom. That was also the only 2 that I set like that. Might be time I find new water.
The snow got played with more than the jig rods.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3082 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Jamey, are you going to be where you were last weekend? I planning on heading north in a little while.

Mike
Dream Catcher

JJ

« Reply #3083 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:59 AM »
I am reminded of something an older friend of my has said form time to time: "experience is the best teacher, but it also has the highest tuition." In other words you have to put your time in and figure out what works............... for you.  ;)

The best fishermen, or outdoorsmen in general, are the ones that go out and experiment, try new places and techniques, equipment, etc., and learn things on their own. Some have a knack for this, others not so much.

Offline cmart28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3084 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I have been at this Ice fishing thing for a good while now and every time I go I learn something new.  I use some of the info on here and then apply my own ideas.  Some work, some don't.  But for the most part, when they are biting I do fairly well.  I have my go to lures and go to spots.  I also like to change it up from time to time, and have been very surprised at times what can work.  As far as the discussions that go on about the Salmon, and other issues,  I enjoy the back and forth and like the differences in opinions.

As far as the tip-ups are concerned, I have tried fishing many of the above mentioned tips for setting them.  Somedays they work well,  others not.  I find lakers move a great deal and you need to be willing to move and vary things up.  A spot that I was at last saturday that we had previously caught 30 lakers at, my group caught 2 at.  I must have drilled 50 holes,  marked lookers at almost every hole, had strikes and landed none.  I went back to that spot yesterday, caught nothing on the sticks till about 1:30, then rocked 10 out of the same hole using a very large spoon in the matter of an hour.  I had to live with the ups and downs of things and trust my techniques.  Sometimes I think I can outsmart myself.  Stick with it.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3085 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:23 AM »
as for your questions. yes big lt are caught jigging. And for me personally if im on them I don't move. I may be wrong but I don't believe they are a school of class fish like perch. I have caught a wide range of lt out of the same hole. In fact my last two trips iv fishing one hole. caught lakers form a couple lbs up to almost ten.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3086 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Not a single response? Thanks guys. People can write 2 pages of responses on the salmon fishing in LG but I cant get you laker guys to chime in on a couple simple questions I have.  I try to help people out buy telling where I got on the ice, depth I was fishing, showing pictures of fish with the hot lures I was using, warning ppl of the sketchy ice in an area I fell through.  Maybe I need to start posting "nice fish" to every picture posted so that I can have 1000 post in order to be welcomed enough to get some responses to my questions. Or maybe I have to rant like this. Who the hell knows.

IDK part of me thinks that tipups are a complete waste of time if you have electronics and your favorite pimple.  But just yesterday someone I know got a 10# fish with a tip up.  so there's that.  Maybe the big fish ARE lazy.  I'll let you know if I get a laker over 24" jigging.

Personally I've been surrounded by tipup minefields the last four of five weekends on Schroon or LG and those guys seem very bored to me (Maybe they prefer to just hang out).. I usually pay a little attention to whether or not they are catching any and I'm pretty sure my vex and pimple are doin as good as 5-10 tipups if not 30.

I'll use my tipups still on those nice warm days coming up once I find a honeyhole.  But I prefer to jig.  I can't believe how fast 8 hours goes by!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3087 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I wouldn't move if I was catching small Lakers you never know if mom is nearby watching the kids swim after your lure ::).  Perch - yes dinks suck.
and
In your guys experiences do you catch the majority of the bigger fish jigging or tip ups? If I can a handful of 24" fish jigging I think 30" is possible. 
Put the time in like me.  My biggest Laker is 24" the 30"ers wont swim up your hole ;D  That's why dudes get exited about a 30" fish.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3088 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:56 AM »
So far this Season I've caught 97 lakers, all jigging! Only ONE was a good one (30"), the rest were in the 18-24" range, most of those on the shorter end of the scale!  Last year I caught more than twice as many and not a single fish over 28"! Sometimes luck is on your side and you're surprised with a nice one. In most cases however, at least for me, I have to put in my time to increase my odds of a good fish and that, in my humble opinion, is the biggest factor in getting on good fish. Gotta take your share of the skunks sometimes!

Good luck out there!
MK

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
« Reply #3089 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:41 AM »
So far this Season I've caught 97 lakers, all jigging! Only ONE was a good one (30"), the rest were in the 18-24" range, most of those on the shorter end of the scale!  Last year I caught more than twice as many and not a single fish over 28"! Sometimes luck is on your side and you're surprised with a nice one. In most cases however, at least for me, I have to put in my time to increase my odds of a good fish and that, in my humble opinion, is the biggest factor in getting on good fish. Gotta take your share of the skunks sometimes!

Good luck out there!
MK

YOU ARE STILL THE MAN!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.