New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346773 times)

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2970 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:50 PM »
ow yea they were shorts. I don't normally take pics cause I don't have a camera and your right I will handle with more care. I was just trying to get a good pic. I don't like laying them on the ice when its this cold either. I don't keep any lakers and I hate when one gets it in the gills!

Offline jerseyjunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2971 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I've fished for salmon for over 25 years in the lake and we are just
Heart broken over the loss of such a awesome fish.. I remeber in the
90s we had some dry falls and had terrible smelt reproduction. Don't see the bait balls
We used to either. That might of been the start of the downhill slide
The last good years instead of coughing up smelt they had panfish in them had to change our flys off of
Smelt patterns to fry
 I think they started cruising bays and got hammered by pike.  Also
No doubt the laker population has increased but don't think they are the major predator.Seems
  juvenile lakers in the 16 inch range are probably consuming most of the forage .maybe the salmon
Just starve or pike food  I don't know .. Three or 4 bad ice years in last ten saved a lot of lakers ..they put a hurting on the smelt,  might be time to try ..rainbows!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2972 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I do believe there used to be rainbows in the lake. its hard for anything to compeat with a million lakers!

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2973 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:57 PM »
ow yea they were shorts. I don't normally take pics cause I don't have a camera and your right I will handle with more care. I was just trying to get a good pic. I don't like laying them on the ice when its this cold either. I don't keep any lakers and I hate when one gets it in the gills!

You're a good man... Great response..It showed integrity
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

JJ

« Reply #2974 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Gee JJ, didn't think you should get in such a snit.  Did the glacier buiild  that dam on the end of lake George on the LaChute?  I am assuming the 2 lakes were connected long before a man stoked LG, and as such, did have reproducing Salmon....Go figure everything before the 1890's was speculation, but there were always salmon there, and historic reports I have read from contact with the native peoples indicate they caught them too...Wish i could remember where it was I read it...I don't know how old you are, but I listened to those stories back into the very early 1960's, the men sharing were my great Grandfather's age, in their 70's and 80 back then...My Great Grandfather was a village arborist in 1930, historian and notary as well as a caretaker and hatchery operator.  Do you remember that hatchery?  I do....Did yo grow up here too? Don't  take my opinion as gospel, I am not challenging you, but you seem to be pretty testy and for what?  Tight lines....

Sorry Barebow, didn't mean to come across as "testy", but when you acted like I didn't know why they were called "landlocked salmon" I may have been a little annoyed; remember that you directed your post to me first, I just responded. Maybe my Scotch/Irish ancestry makes me a little feisty. ;D I am very passionate about the LG fishery and have spent lots of time learning about it and trying to improve things by volunteering my time, especially for the salmon. Also like to share what I have learned.

Yes, LG and Champlain have always been connected, but the 200' elevation difference, including the LaChute Falls with a 30' drop, was a barrier to the salmon swimming upstream. The Atalntic salmon is known as "the leaper" but they don't jump that high. ;D I will take the biologists word that they were not native to LG.

We have another common interest, here's a pic from last Fall:

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2975 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:31 PM »
JJ, nice landlocked  barebow doe...
We all miss the old days of the LL salmon, Champlain is the last vestige locally where large numbers of big fish exist.  As a home grown, I take it personal that people believe all the biologists, they have messed up and messed up LG before too...Tight Lines

JJ

« Reply #2976 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Thanks, wasn't taken very far from the lake.

I am homegrown as anyone, grew up on the lake, my ancestors have been in the area since the 1700s; but I am also a biologist at heart.  ;D

Hopefully we will meet up someday in person, the internet can be tough for that at times. Not many recurve shooters around here. @)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2977 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Beautiful bow JJ. Custom made for you? I had a nice Great Plains Take down in #60 made for me a few years back! They are works of art! Nice kill!

MK

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2978 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:46 PM »
At least you went in on your way off the ice.      Atleast you got to fish first.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2979 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:02 PM »
JJ, my last custom  was a 2 piece Saxon made specifically for me in memory of my father's nickname, " Sweet Pea", red elem laminates, had to sell because of torn rotator cuff, too much poundage to hunt with , now using a 3 piece recurve "Ragim".  Barebow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2980 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:03 PM »
luckly. i was like a frozen pocicle by the time i reached the car! my suit was a solid sheet of ice

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2981 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:14 PM »
So where exactly did you go through?   I'm going in the morning south of pilot with some buddy's.    And if you post where people can be warned.       That's if they don't follow your foot prints to the wet spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2982 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:15 PM »
just north of echo bay.abot 100 feet from shore

JJ

« Reply #2983 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Not custom made for me, that is a Martin Hunter, they are hand made(no CNC); really like the one piece laminated recurves. Been shooting a Martin Mamba lately, want to use it for turkeys; 58", the other is 62".I like the looks of some of the custom made bows, not sure I want one to hunt with, I'm rough on equipment; still may get one eventually. 45# is plenty for me to handle, my bow shoulder still gives me problems on occasion. Great Plains bows are really nice, lots of choices in wood.

Ragim makes a nice bow, made in Italy, right? Never seen a Saxon, will look them up.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2984 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:34 PM »
You said 2 miles south of fa beach 1 mile south.   100 yards.  Now 100 feet.      I have a buddy who is thinking of going to put stakes out in a few spots of weak ice tomorrow and I was going to meet up and give him a hand with the sled.       I'm going out of echo so I'll have him find your tracks he was out there today must of been more in the Bay Area.        Going to see if he can mark the one at he beach to with the weekend coming up.  Don't want to read about no one getting hurt or killed out there

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2985 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Are Rainbows stocked in LG tributaries? I've caught them on both sides of the lake within a mile of the lake. I figured they were stocked. Here are a couple. They are from different tributaries on different sides of the lake.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2986 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:44 AM »
Yes they are for sure in English brook and north west brook and a couple more.I have never got one out of the lake.But i've heard of people getting them.  :)

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2987 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:03 AM »
o don't now the distance from the beach to there.lol but I was deff a little north of echo about 100 feet from shore. I think its the crack that runs from Elizabeth island. not 100 percent tho.  look for a set of holes about 10 feet apart. I hope you find it! combsey you now my math is all messed up and I horrible with distance. theres a tiny perm shanty about 500 yards north of where I was. find th that and stay along the shore and you will find my tracks.

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2988 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:15 AM »
headed to vets. we'll see how it goes.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2989 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:23 AM »
ive never seen them stock rainbows in English brook I was present when they stocked in 2010 and all they put in where brookys. if they do stock bows in the tribs that's news to me. the ones I catch r always small. in the 4-8 inch range and look wild.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2990 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:29 AM »
I seen a pic of a rainbow out of Lake George  that was like 24 inches . Some charter captain got for his clients . Was very nice fish .

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2991 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:58 AM »
TC5, Yes!  Ray McCauley, still trying to get him out fishing this year, his work hours and mine conflict though, hope to be soon filling a pail with him....Barebow!!    :icefish:
how the heck is Ray doin? I haven't seen him in years. Is he still working for Target?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2992 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:01 AM »
I went in above my waiste! caought the ice with my arms thank god! It sure makes you repect the ice a lot more!
Glad your OK man, I had a guy walking right beside had the same thing happen, scared the hell outta me and I didn't even go in.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2993 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:08 AM »
You said 2 miles south of fa beach 1 mile south.   100 yards.  Now 100 feet.      I have a buddy who is thinking of going to put stakes out in a few spots of weak ice tomorrow and I was going to meet up and give him a hand with the sled.       I'm going out of echo so I'll have him find your tracks he was out there today must of been more in the Bay Area.        Going to see if he can mark the one at he beach to with the weekend coming up.  Don't want to read about no one getting hurt or killed out there
Nice of you to mark the spot. Just another example of sportsman helping one another. :clap:
Stay Frosty

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2994 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Hope that you find the spot and mark it. Thanks for your efforts.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2995 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:50 AM »
luckly. i was like a frozen pocicle by the time i reached the car! my suit was a solid sheet of ice

Glad you are OK. Did you have any difficulty getting your keys out of your frozen clothing? Years ago knew someone who fell in was fishing by himself and had a really tough time getting the keys out his frozen pants after long walk back to his car.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2996 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:26 AM »

I know what you mean.. i was weighing the pros and cons of posting my message and the whiskey that i was drinking was the scale tipper when clicking the post button. This is such a great forum with respectful people that i figured I'd just post it and make a polite observation. BlueMountain took it like a champ and thats why this is such an awesome forum. I in no way meant to humiliate.. Theres a ton of people on here that have taught me the "right thing to do" over the past couple of years. I appreciate everyones guidance, care, and tips that I have received.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2997 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I to may have came across a little harsh on my post about baby trout but by no means was I out to humiliate anyone either. When I first started laker fishing many many years ago the trout fishing was just starting coming back from the DDT die off and we took extra precautions not to harm any trout we didn't keep. Maybe that's why it aggravates me to see sub legal trout mishandled. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2998 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:02 AM »
no I didn't drive my buddy did. I did have trouble getting my carhart suit off when I got home tho! I do need to get a new phone tho. it still works but it shuts off randomly now. and I will deff handle those lakers with more care! what really drives me nuts is when I see people leaving a subleagal fish on the ice while they walk 50 yards to get a tape mesure in 5 degree temps. the only time I will mesure a fish is if I think its over 30inches. only because I want one for my wall but it has to be 32'' or bigger. im glad people r lookin out fro the trout. I love catchin em and I would hate to see a decline in them.

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2999 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
 :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.