New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346736 times)

JJ

Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2940 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:38 PM »
The Champlain salmon are stocked in actual rivers, we don't have anything close to that size in LG. The streams aren't nearly big enough to hold 34,000 salmon, and there wouldn't be enough food for them. Besides they are already smolts by then and ready for open water; they would just head for the lake, like all the brookies that were stocked in West Brook a couple years ago. They have done fine in the past with open water stocking, DEC used to just dump them in. I re-started the program of stocking them with boats in 2005 (I think that was the year) and they results were pretty good for a few years. The same with the fish that have been held through the summer and stocked in the Fall, they did well for several years but now they aren't surviving in any significant numbers.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2941 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:45 PM »
please be carefull out there guys! I went through today about 2 miles from fort ann beach. luckly was able to shoot right out of the water. the crack was not visable through the snow! I did catch 6 lakers and I lost 3. my buddy gonna send me my pics. ill post them in a bit

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2942 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:49 PM »
please be carefull out there guys! I went through today about 2 miles from fort ann beach. luckly was able to shoot right out of the water. the crack was not visable through the snow! I did catch 6 lakers and I lost 3. my buddy gonna send me my pics. ill post them in a bit
Glad your ok guy. I feel sick for you just thinking about it. How far did you go in??

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2943 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:49 PM »
glad you are ok . Thanks for the heads up

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2944 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Hopefully you are OK! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Dream Catcher

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2945 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:53 PM »
man I hate hearing this. Even though I don't know most of you I feel like were all fishing buddies. That stuff scares me a lot. Im glad your ok man. Guys, might night be a good idea to go out there solo right now. I do it, and I know if its between solo or not going most of us are going to go but it just might not be worth the risk. Glad you got on some fish and back on the ice.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2946 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Mikerudy sounds like he's ok he did say he caught 6 lakers ;D

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2947 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I hate when that happens.The last time i went through i was in an old set of tracks from the day before.I crapped my self and soaked and all by my self.I hit bottom a sprung off and right back on the ice.Pure luck 8 or 10 feet of water. Luck pure luck. :o :o :o

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2948 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:03 PM »
yea you read about this stuff and it makes you think what would I do in that situation and to tell ya the truth I really don't know. But I do know it scares the h ll out of me just thinking about it. Glad you got out.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2949 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Glad you're ok J and way to go putting some fish on the ice!

MK

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2950 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:33 PM »

Glad you're OK Jeramey, it sucks to go through, and a cold day too boot. How was the snow on the ice over there?

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2951 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Anyone go out of vets out deep to laker territory? Imagine the walk is horrible. May head out in the morning anyone want to join?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2952 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I went in above my waiste! caought the ice with my arms thank god! It sure makes you repect the ice a lot more!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2953 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Glad your OK big J.....   :)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2954 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:07 PM »
deepsnow in the bay and about 6-8 on the main lake with drifts. there was no sighn of the crack at all. I crossed one earlier that had slushy snow near it so I steered clear. this one was dry and hidden and I will not be going out alone ill tell you that!  im gonna get a suit that floats soon!

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #2955 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Glad you are ok,   Makes you think twice about going solo like I do. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2956 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:28 PM »
nothing very big today tho. all average fish.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2957 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:30 PM »
nice pics Blue glad your o.k.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2958 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Guys in 2 days 2 guys have gone through.. Glad everyone is okay and certainly glad for todays accident that there were some fish to be had tonight for dinner even after getting a snoot full. Are these accidents near a pressure ridge or out where just days ago there was solid ice? I'm heading out to fish with VT Mike on Saturday off of Blairs Bay..I'm accessing from Friends point and walking acrossed the middle of the lake. All this talk is making me nervous about my future journey acrossed the lake. When i was there last weekend the ice was 6"-7" Thick in the middle of the lake.. I dont think it is a major issue of getting acrossed but if anyone has any knowledge of the ice when its holding snow on it/immediate info on that area of the lake it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2959 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:34 PM »
this spot was 100 yards from shore.  there was no sighn of a crack but there was one! I had 13 inches of ice 2 feet from it. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2960 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:35 PM »
ugh.. man sorry to hear.. time to get my back to the future hover board out..
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2961 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I'm glad bluemoutainlaker is ok. Like many others have said, it scares me just reading about it. Be careful going out of Vets. That second pressure ridge(just beyond Green Island) had alot of open water along the entire ridge. As you got further away from the second island(don't know the name) there was a large amount of open water... We walked around it on Superbowl Sunday but if that area is covered in snow that could be very,very dangerous spot. Be safe out there guys. I hope to be out Sunday with a partner. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2962 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:37 PM »
im gonna bring my spud out next time! even tho theres a foot of ice you just never now with these ridges.the hole I fell into would have swallowed a wheeler easily

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2963 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I don't know the lake as good as you do JJ but I have been fishing it on and off since the 60's. They used to stock the salmon in the streams and I don't think it was to feed them it was to protect them. At no time in the last 15 years has the salmon fishing been any way near as good as it was in the early 80's . There are more lake trout now than anytime since DDT. There are probably more bass now than ever,, when I was a kid bass were on the menu, very few were thrown back. To me it seems the longer the salmon are kept away from the predators in the lake the better chance the have. The fact the fall salmon have a better rate of surviving would seem to prove that. Just my two cents.

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2964 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Glad to still see you smiling after getting wet. Nice fish!
!!FLAG!!

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2965 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Glad you are ok  and that you are right back at it.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2966 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Gee JJ, didn't think you should get in such a snit.  Did the glacier buiild  that dam on the end of lake George on the LaChute?  I am assuming the 2 lakes were connected long before a man stoked LG, and as such, did have reproducing Salmon....Go figure everything before the 1890's was speculation, but there were always salmon there, and historic reports I have read from contact with the native peoples indicate they caught them too...Wish i could remember where it was I read it...I don't know how old you are, but I listened to those stories back into the very early 1960's, the men sharing were my great Grandfather's age, in their 70's and 80 back then...My Great Grandfather was a village arborist in 1930, historian and notary as well as a caretaker and hatchery operator.  Do you remember that hatchery?  I do....Did yo grow up here too? Don't  take my opinion as gospel, I am not challenging you, but you seem to be pretty testy and for what?  Tight lines....

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #2967 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I know Ray, but what does knowing him or the Ellsworths have to do with salmon reproduction in LG? I knew them, too. I have spoken with several biologists about LG salmon over the years. I studied biology in college and one of my professors was Carl George, he wrote a book titled: The Fishes of the Lake George Watershed. I also have many papers and articles on the LG fishery, including the Angler Diary Cooperator Summaries going back to 1994.

Never heard of the salmon becoming sterile at the hatchery, if that was the case how are the able to get enough salmon to stock? I do believe inbreeding has caused issues with survival of the stocked fish, that's one reason why they started adding Sebago strain; unfortunately since then the salmon have done even worse.

I am well aware of them being called landlocked salmon ;D, some got trapped when the glaciers receded, but they were never naturally in LG. Some salmon may have been trapped in LG when the glaciers receded, but they didn't survive or adapt here, probably due to insufficient spawning waters. They didn't "learn" to spawn, fish aren't that smart. They adapted and eventually evolved to spawn, yet they needed flowing water, they don't successfully spawn in lakes. They may go through the motions of spawning in the Fall, that instinct that has evolved into them causes them to attempt spawning. We used to go up to Norowal Marina in November and watch the salmon swimming around right in the deep hole at the boat launch trying to spawn. They were stocked there and naturally imprinted on that spot, and by nature they return to the stream/river where they hatched, in this case the boat launch was the closest thing.

According to the DEC: "Atlantics were historically found in Lake Ontario, the St. Lawrence River, Lake Champlain, and in many of their tributaries", they weren't in many lakes, LG included. In Maine they ended up only in lakes within river systems, again, they need flowing water to spawn: "Prior to 1868, landlocked salmon populations occurred in only four river basins in Maine: the St. Croix, including West Grand Lake in Washington County; the Union, including Green Lake in Hancock County; the Penobscot, including Sebec Lake in Piscataquis County; and the Presumpscot, including Sebago Lake in Cumberland County."(From Maine F&W)

That is an interesting story about your grandfather, but not sure is proves much scientifically, it is anecdotal evidence. You stated: "the perch and sunfish moved in immediately after the spawn and ate all the fry they could catch". That doesn't make sense, salmon spawn in gravelly riffle sections of streams and rivers, burying the eggs. The eggs spend the winter and hatch the following Spring, then the fry hatch and swim up out of the gravel. They then become parr and spend a year or more in the stream/river growing into smolts; which will then move to the open water and grow very rapidly. The perch and sunfish may have moved in and eaten the eggs?

A few years ago a biologist from the US Fish & Wildlife Service came to LG, they had grant money to improve fish spawning habitat in the LG basin. I accompanied her and the DEC biologist along with people from WC Soil & Conservation to check out the suitability of several LG tributaries, it was determined that they were not suitable for salmon spawning.

Here's an article about LG salmon written by a friend of mine: http://www.lgfa.org/articles/landlock-salmon.htm
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I hope the LLS can thrive in the King once again. I`d like to see DEC stock the LLS bigger. Maybe they could survive at a better rate.
Master Laker taker.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2968 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:46 PM »
        My #2 son went out of vets today, said the snow over his knees. it took him 2 hours to get out to Laker territory and he wasn't dragging a sled. He packed it all out. Maybe you weekend warriors with snowmobiles will pack some of it down. I'm not prepared to pack out, I drag a sled, I guess I'll have to make some adjustments! ::) Good luck out there this weekend guys a stay safe.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2969 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Don't mean to be a jack wagon but blue mountain. it looks like the lakers you caught are shorts.. you handling them through the gills is harmful to the fish isn't it? Just thought about it, if ya can't keep it, handle it so it lives to be a big boy, not die.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.