New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346765 times)

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2460 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:04 PM »

Nice to meet you Reel force and Butcherella!  ;D
I love clipboard man

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2461 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Nice looking fish. I like the belly on it.
 :clap:
        WS

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2462 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Had a great morning out of nwest bay today..was back to the truck by 1030 and didn't have to go as far as usuall..about 900 meters according to the gps..I love that thing.put me rt on the spot..it got acrazy windy and was glad to get off when I did..got better fish thistime..I marked bigger fish in this hole last time I was out..hoped they would cooperate this am..threw  a lot of fish back also..marked over 8 inches of great ice
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2463 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice.   Going to get after them tomorrow     Perch that is.  Got to fill the freezer back up.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2464 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Nice.   Going to get after them tomorrow     Perch that is.  Got to fill the freezer back up.
Perch?!?! What has the world come too?  :P
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2465 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I'm out :'(.    Only walleye and crappies left.   

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2466 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I'm out :'(.    Only walleye and crappies left.

I can hear the Kool n The Gang music playing already!  :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2467 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:58 PM »
about 900 meters according to the gps..I love that thing.

plank,

Are you still talking about the old yellow Garmin geko you got from me years ago?  Just wondering if you're still using that ??? 

Offline dollartrifecta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2468 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Anyone know of ice thickness from Long Island east to shore?

Offline ADKsasquatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2469 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:10 PM »
If any of you are interested, Adirondack Journey on the local channel 8 has Rich Ortiz and they are ice fishing for lakers and salmon on LG. On right now!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2470 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:14 PM »
  Watching.    Rich is a good guy

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2471 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Darn it! Missed it!

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #2472 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:38 PM »
JJ great pics Awesome day ;D BIGRED Nice colors on your laker :woot: Sucked being at work all weekend and missing out on the laker action but I will be on the lake tomorrow in search of some much needed Laker therapy. @) @)

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2473 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Was out on the head of huddle bay yesterday and the ice was a solid 12 inches.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2474 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Has anybody been out to the middle grounds in Hague assuming there isn't much out there just checking

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2475 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Great colors on that male laker Big red, and JJ nice fish too, get those tourist dollars here in the winter, when most needed...Thinking of banging in on Friday to beat the out of town traffic on the lake this week, making it a long weekend of laker and perch....Tight lines, all........ :icefish:      Barebow

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2476 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I'm going to vets in the morning maybe bixby beach idk yet message me if you wanna meet up I'll be by myself

Offline Kanerock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2477 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Out to middle grounds today, 4-5 black, fished till noon, 2 lakers and
Some dink perch. Spudded out, then fine. Big pressure crack off beach.
4 other groups out there today. Slow bite

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2478 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Has anybody been out to the middle grounds in Hague assuming there isn't much out there just checking

visiting for a few days next week and wondering the same. only have one day to take mom fishing and would love to make it out there......
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2479 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:58 AM »
Out of of vets yesterday.Got on the ice at 8 back to the truck by 11.The trout were hot 5 on the ice and lost 3 more.The wind changed direction the fish were gone.Almost got flipped over in my shanty.Hope its not that bad today.I see they made that idiot shut that ice eater down were you get on at vets its a mess. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #2480 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:45 PM »
please beat me up a little w/ these questions ???  but I have never fished lk geo I have no clue where to start or stay ,what best jigs or tilts types of bait also how many setups :tipup: are u allowed?  I have 50yrs of ice fishing everywhere else for everything but never on lake George .I live on cape cod fishing is great here but we hardly ever get safe ice . so please I don't want your secrets or spots just a starting area ..its a big lake to hit blind. i,m looking to fish lake trout and yellow perch. i;m going within 2-3wks for 3 day fishing 2 nights lodging . I only want the perch and c/r the trout  thank u dave
Dave
Check your mail

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2481 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Im actually like dave^ except this is my first year of ice fishing all together but I went to huddle bay for the first time because it was recommended by someone on ice shanty but the bite really wasn't good and I don't think its a good spot for lakers..does anyone know of a good spot to get lakers and perch I as well don't want your "secret spots" just a good place to go. :)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2482 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:11 PM »
Im actually like dave^ except this is my first year of ice fishing all together but I went to huddle bay for the first time because it was recommended by someone on ice shanty but the bite really wasn't good and I don't think its a good spot for lakers..does anyone know of a good spot to get lakers and perch I as well don't want your "secret spots" just a good place to go. :)
The tough part is. If you're over perch. You're not over prime laker grounds. Plenty of trout are caught in shallow all the time on tipups, but there is certainly more luck involved. If you head out into prime laker territory (70fow+), you're basically eliminating your chances at any perch.
Splitting your day in half may not be a bad bet. If you got hosed at Huddle. Try a new bay next time. You may also be best off picking a species for each 1/2 of the day. Pick a bay with nice deep water nearby and leave the tipups at home. Lakers or perch require a lot of drilling. Cover water and don't waste time at dead holes. Fish perch in the morning and then head out to the main lake later on. Or vice versa. My best perch fishing has happened at last light the last 2 weekends.
Note: If you see a cluster of shacks on the main body of the lake. They're fishing lakers and have a group for a reason. You never want to crowd these guys on such a big lake, but it will clue you in on a good direction to head. Hope this helps both of you guys

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2483 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:24 PM »
The tough part is. If you're over perch. You're not over prime laker grounds. Plenty of trout are caught in shallow all the time on tipups, but there is certainly more luck involved. If you head out into prime laker territory (70fow+), you're basically eliminating your chances at any perch.
Splitting your day in half may not be a bad bet. If you got hosed at Huddle. Try a new bay next time. You may also be best off picking a species for each 1/2 of the day. Pick a bay with nice deep water nearby and leave the tipups at home. Lakers or perch require a lot of drilling. Cover water and don't waste time at dead holes. Fish perch in the morning and then head out to the main lake later on. Or vice versa. My best perch fishing has happened at last light the last 2 weekends.
Note: If you see a cluster of shacks on the main body of the lake. They're fishing lakers and have a group for a reason. You never want to crowd these guys on such a big lake, but it will clue you in on a good direction to head. Hope this helps both of you guys
Okay thanks a lot and just one more question what should I use as bait to catch the lakers? This is really the first time I've targeted them.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2484 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Big sweetish pimples all day every day.  I a size 7 silver with red flag.  I put new red hooks on mine since the hooks that come with them don't seem very sharp and are too big IMO. 

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2485 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Okay what do I put on the sweedish pimple?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2486 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:56 PM »
yes I agree with Jigstick. I have had the best luck with #7 nickle swedish pimples with a red tag and I also change out the hook to a Mustad wide gap hook. The hookup ratio is much better. I learned the hard way last year after loosing a good amount of lakers, and I really couldnt figure out why. I changed out the hook, and my problem was solved.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2487 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Okay what do I put on the sweedish pimple?
Hopefully a nice big laker! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2488 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:24 PM »
You know what I mean...For bait? you don't just fish with the sweedish pimple do you?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2489 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:32 PM »
You know what I mean...For bait? you don't just fish with the Swedish pimple do you?
They do man. Some guys like using a strip of sucker meat or perch rib, but according to a lot of the laker guys it is not necessary at all.
White plastics is another go to. Big white Mr Twister or anything white with a good wiggle in the water.
The trick seems to be getting them to chase from the bottom. Start all the way down and start making your way up.
I don't know 1st hand because I suck at fishing for them. But I have read enough on here that I SHOULD be able to successfully do it. I'm just regurgitating info I've soaked up. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.