New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346670 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2250 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Come on North End!

According to yesturday's satellite image, the entire lake is locked up now.

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2251 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:23 AM »
What website do you see satelite picture of the lake on?

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2252 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I'm right there with you man. I'll bet that place is going to be an absolute zoo this weekend.
I might scratch that place myself and head elsewhere on the lake.
pull in there by 6 u will be ok.showing up at 645 u may be SOL..especially witha trailer..I like tI cause I can walk forever and ever.but its a 430 wake up for me..
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Iamthenextone34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2253 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Fished yesterday walked all the way out to dome island marked 4-5 good inches of black ice in the morning and she was making ice all day managed to land 2 short lakers man was it cold thank god for my heater good luck everyone and stay safe :tipup: :tipup:

JJ

« Reply #2254 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:46 AM »
The pics of those birds are of juvenile loons.  They migrate later than the adults for some reason.

Actually they are adults, the lone juvenile is in the background. They were checked by the top loon researcher in NY from BRI, we took blood and feather samples before releasing them. Late February is way past their migration time, they molted like they normally do after migrating and were unable to fly, had to wait for the new feathers to grow in; can see how short the wing feathers are in the pic.

Here's the juvenile, the difference was obvious when they were together.

A short video: http://s177.photobucket.com/user/lgsalmon/media/100_1925_zpse33bdd30.mp4.html

Offline sanfordnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2255 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:06 AM »
What's up with all the pics of baby Lake Trout? They should be released upon removal of the hook. Keeping trout out of the water for any length of time diminishes their survival rate.   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2256 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:09 AM »
What's up with all the pics of baby Lake Trout? They should be released upon removal of the hook. Keeping trout out of the water for any length of time diminishes their survival rate.   

welcome to ice shanty!  Excellent first post.   You're going to fit right in.  Now lets see the pics of the BIG Lake Trout you caught yesturday.

JJ

« Reply #2257 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I don't see any baby lakers, takes them 7-8 years to reach 23" in LG. ;)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2258 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:59 AM »
No need to poke at these guys and get people fired up man. You may not be here to make friends, but most of us are.
These guys spend plenty of time on the water and catch plenty of fish to know how to handle a fish.
If you need an explanation: I don't know about the rest of these guys, but there is no pause for a picture with my crew of guys. The camera is ready before the fish hits the ice. If it isn't. There is no pic.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2259 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I think the pics are great keep up the good work! Who wants to post pics of trophy fish anyway, as it is we are already discussing potentially having no where to park this weekend lol!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2260 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Guess I'll be sitting in the middle of Blairs Bay tomorrow.  Thanks for the update. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2261 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I think the pics are great keep up the good work! Who wants to post pics of trophy fish anyway, as it is we are already discussing potentially having no where to park this weekend lol!

Why would anyone drive up to Bolton when Harris bay closer for most with waaaay more JUMBO perch?

NW Bay is fished out and the pressure has got to the Lakers baaad.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2262 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Hey MikeVT you fish that often? Open water fish it all the time, never on the ice (live far south). Mark a lot of bait up there??

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2263 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Bolton is merely an access point to endless untouched grass beds and humps in the main lake with lots of Jumbos. But I for one love hearing about the same 6 spots that are the only place to fish on the 32 milles of lake  @)

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2264 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:33 AM »

Thank you for the update!

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2265 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:37 AM »
The predicted 30 MPH south wind gusts tomorrow is going to make it real interesting :o  Tie the shanty to your atv and hold on as best you can :tipup: 

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #2266 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:46 AM »
The predicted 30 MPH south wind gusts tomorrow is going to make it real interesting :o  Tie the shanty to your atv and hold on as best you can :tipup:

.... and single digits in am with possiably a little snow mixed in.  :P  Don't plan on going without a shelter tomorrow.
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline JneedsNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2267 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:48 AM »
3-5 inches of snow, 20mph+ winds. Should be fun.
Hoping someone can provide an update regarding the north end (ticonderoga area) please  ;D

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2268 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Just a little cold and wind nothing a shanty and heater can't solve. I love it.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2269 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:31 AM »
South Basin is all frozen now, from Long Island north to Pilot Knob to Dome. @)
I'll go ya one better JJ, the WHOLE lake is frozen! I went all the way to Rogers Rock yesterday and saw no open water. Only place that looked sketchy was out in front of the Village of Hague, but it was frozen.
Not claiming i know how much ice, just sayin it frozen.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2270 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Had something happen today that never has happened to me before. Was sitting in my truck about 75 ft from Lake George when my whole truck rocked and I heard a crack that was louder than a rifle shot. 
Now I've been on the ice when its cracked and moved a lot, but I've never had it shake the ground so much its rocked my truck.
Was anyone else on the ice when it happened?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2271 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:51 AM »
So where is the reserved parking for Vets beach?

I dont have a trailer and wheeler so could just park on street somewhere.  Right?  I was thinking of calling Sagamore to park. 

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2272 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Hey MikeVT you fish that often? Open water fish it all the time, never on the ice (live far south). Mark a lot of bait up there??
There was a lot of smelt up there last year.  Lakers were all over last year, from 40-110'.  Never caught anything huge, but usually get decent action.  I like it because it gets deep fast.  The only drawback is just about every cottage up there has a bubbler going, so the shoreline goes fast toward the end of the year.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2273 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Bolton is merely an access point to endless untouched grass beds and humps in the main lake with lots of Jumbos. But I for one love hearing about the same 6 spots that are the only place to fish on the 32 milles of lake  @)
so true..and i am a walker.endless possibilities!!!.and north west bay is definitely fished out....especially for perch. i caught them all with all the ice we had the past 2 years.... head to MDB Harris or Huddle ;)..waiting till sunday and monday...cant hold my 1 man down in that wind
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2274 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:11 PM »
What are you the picture police?Maybe you could make your next post a little more useful and tell all of us baby lake trout people how to only catch the BIG ones.And just so you know 99% of the fish we
catch are released quickly.Like Perchslayer stated cameras are usually ready.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2275 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Mike thanks for the info. I know years ago it was great up that way for big boys, the nose, rusty rock etc. But one day we took a ride out and saw a bunch of outta staters with dead fish all over the ice........aaggghhh... ...where's dec when you need em. Way over their limit and lots of big fish. Many big breeders have been taken outta that area over the past few years, not seeing the size anymore. Nothing against outta staters either (love hunting out of state myself :-) but just to get back to what JJ said about how old those big fish are, the way to go is limit out on the smaller ones (the baby lake trout hahaha). It's really about the future of the fishery, what do you all think about a slot limit on lakers?

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2276 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:19 PM »
A slot limit is for a lake that needs breeding size fish and in Lake George there is no shortage of them. Fishing the lake since the 70's I know there is a lot more lake trout in there then since DDT. There is only going to be so many pounds of fish per acre, which means you can have a lot of smaller fish or fewer larger ones per the amount of food in that acre. Ice fisherman take very few fish per the amount they catch, they should probably be taking more. A rise in the cisco population would probably help the lakers in there get bigger than anything. I do know the bigger lakers in there are usually around ciscoes or the perch beds. Of course the state stocking all those young salmon directly in the lake helps those lakers get bigger too.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2277 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I'm not sure what a slot limit would do.   Otsego Lake used to have a tremendous population of 30"+ fish, and they disappeared pretty quickly once word got out about the lake on the internet - even with a one fish per day limit.   Now the lake has TONS of small fish (which finished off the alewive population) and just a few snakey, sickly 30" fish.  Of course Otsego is a much smaller lake, much more prone to pressure.   I really think Lake George has too many lake trout...thats why the fish are growing slowly, thats why the salmon population isnt rebounding, thats why the fish are so freaking competitive.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2278 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I would rather see the daily limit raised to 3 or even 4, that way I could put an extra dinner in the freezer for mid week.  I think a slot limit is just one more rule added to an already big list of rules.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2279 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Great points. I guess places many lakes out west have great success with slots and walleye. Maybe comparing apples to oranges. I agree too with the cisco thing. I have become a cisco fisherman and love using them for bait. I think most trophy class lakers are just scavengers and like to hang around the deep cisco schools and lay in the mud. Like big deer or anything else they are a different breed, which is maybe why they are probably not caught consistently. I've always wanted to spend the day with big dead baits on tip ups in real deep water. Just dread pulling up at the end of the day! Anyone ever try this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.