Author Topic: How much line on a tip up?  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
How much line on a tip up?
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Hello, I bought a tip up for a nephew it's a Frabill round one how much line do I need 50, 100 yards? Going with 20# want to have it set up for him.  thanks

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much line on a tip up?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:39 AM »
i am not sure how big the spool is, so really can't give you an exact answer. just don't over fill the spool, can create quite a rats nest in the hole that you may not known about until the flag pops up, which could be too late.

Best of luck to your nephew!

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:55 AM »
 200 ft. Diameter. 2 in.  . 500 ft. Diameter. 2 3/8 in.     This should get you close.   But depending on what type of line and dia. of line.  be safe and by Buy 600 ft  .
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline SlimeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:00 AM »
I fill mine up with the heavy braided line designed for tip ups 2/3 to 3/4 up the spool and then run a flouro leader after that 4 or 5 feet. The braid doesn't get tangled as bad as mono or flouro seems to. Good luck!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Fill it up 3/4 or so with cheap Dacron, Dacron is cheap so who cares, just get big enough not to cut your hands up.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:14 PM »
I would first figure out where you are going to be fishing mostly and check depth of water there. If you are only fishing in 50' of water all the time then 100yrds is more then enough. if you fish in 140' of water i would suggest more. I have multiple tip ups that i use. i have some for deep water and some for shallow water. Just my 2 cents.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I use 50 yds of 30lb vinyl line which I can handle easily and not cut my hands. I have had times when I wished I had less as I have had some pike take it all and then wrap it around a tree so I loose the fish and the line.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Myself and the guys I go with have all gone to 50 feet of coated 40 lb. sufix. Too much line just gets knotted up in cold wind and wastes fishing time to untangle. Usually a titanium leader with either a quick strike for pike or single red treble for walleyes. I used to get all excited about fluorocarbon leaders for walleyes, but I've been catching just as many with titanium.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:37 PM »
I put 70 or so yards of mason 30# tip up line then 5ft of 20# mono on for a leader.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Figure out the deepest you plan on fishing and add 20-30 yards more.

I use 50lb braided Dacron.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Standard tippy setup: 50 - 60 yds of 30 - 36# Dacron or equivalent diameter, appropriate snap, attach leaders with a swivel @ one end and business at the other.

Good advice here, not too expensive, not too thin and put enough on the spool to make it easy to pick up at the end of the day.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:20 PM »
The real question is how much line did you actually put on?

I purchased 500 yards of Dracon for my tip ups, but how much is actually on each is a total guesstimate for me.

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:07 PM »
just re-spooled one, 25yrds of 25lb braided nylon and 6' of 6# leader. Fishing puddles here.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:18 PM »
I use 20 or 30 lb test Dacron fly reel backing in visible colors. Visible meaning I can see the line in the water down the hole. Knowing what the line is doing down the hole, because it is visible provides me with useful information about what type of fish it may be or what direction it is heading so I can turn everything in the right direction, and if windy have the line downwind of the hole before I haul the fish in.  I've tried the coated freeze proof type of tipup line and no longer use it. It's not applicable for light panfisfh rigging at shallower depths in my neck of the woods. All of my tipup spools are 200 ft. Unless I measured the line over a predetermined distance before winding it on, I just filled the spools to capacity. Line maintenance is also important to me. I've put together some hardware which allows me to power unwind the tipup spools using a driver drill onto an empty bulk spool and then power wind to refill the tipup spool(s), while doing a very nice leveling and tensing of the line in the in the winding process. I've been able to adapt this power winding and unwinding procedure to the three different types of tipups I use. In my experience this process keeps things a whole lot neater and less problem prone. I'll do this procedure whenever it appears to be needeed. :o :tipup: :tipup: :o
ttt

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:31 PM »
I use 50lb test Spiderwire Stealth on my Beaverdams and Frabills. You don't need 50lb for line strength, you need it to keep from cutting your fingers. It works great and will last over 10 years. I used to have the 30lb Woodstock line and didn't like it as well. A 120 yard spool will be enough for two tip ups, so figure about 60 yards each.

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:07 AM »
75 yards...  that let's me hit every depth I need for Walleyes and Pike.  If your fishing deeper water for trout, you'll probably need more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.