Author Topic: "Snow drought"  (Read 2334 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Snow drought"
« on: Jan 21, 2022, 04:45 AM »
I see the NWS Indiana stating is we have a "snow drought" in the northern part of the state east of the snowball. Never heard that term used before. More snow south of us than here.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Snow drought"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:50 AM »
Barely had any around here. Maybe 3" so far all season, and none of it has stuck around long. It's all went north/northwest of us everytime we get some forecast. We got a little overnight, but just a dusting, maybe a quarter inch or so.

The ice yesterday was slick as snot after that bit of snow all melted off on top it earlier in the week. It was like having a zamboni go over it, smoothed all the texture right out of it.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Over here in N.E. Indiana we were predicted to have about normal snow fall this year but so far just skiffs and flurries. I havent even put my blade on my ATV yet this year and maybe wont have too. Global warming has changed our winters....another few years and northern Indiana will be like southern Indiana is now, you'll have to drive 100+ miles north to ice fish.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:18 AM »
It definitely snows less than it used to, the 1971-2000 average here was 24" per year, the 1991-2020 average is 17" via NOAA.

This is the least snowy winter I can recall, though.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:27 AM »
I like the cold but i am fine without snow,makes great ice and dragging gear thru snow and slush sucks.putting on a pair of creepers is much easier.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:29 AM »
I prefer not having to trudge through a foot of snow / slush too

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:40 AM »
I don't like a lot of snow, but a thin coating on the ice makes life a lot easier on windy days.

Setup yesterday morning was kind of miserable. My buckets kept blowing away when I was setting up the fish house, and I had to anchor it before I could even pop the tent up because the ice was like greased marbles. I was really glad the wind died off by the time I was done fishing.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:19 AM »
Read an article the other day about cyclical weather, rainfall , drought, temperature, etc. Said we are starting to enter a "Cold" part of cycle over the next hundreds of years. Man's effect on the weather is minuscule.
That will cause the "Green Group" to go ape!!!
Teach

Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:24 AM »
I don't like a lot of snow, but a thin coating on the ice makes life a lot easier on windy days.

Setup yesterday morning was kind of miserable. My buckets kept blowing away when I was setting up the fish house, and I had to anchor it before I could even pop the tent up because the ice was like greased marbles. I was really glad the wind died off by the time I was done fishing.
yep.putting a anchor in before popping up the hub is a good procedure tho.i put 1 in a corner every time i put up my hub shanty.i will not be that guy chasing his hub down.lol

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Mine is a DX, so the floor is a sled. You pop the tent up before anchoring the floor on a windy day with glare, you're taking a ride.

My old Ins-Tent had to be popped up before you could anchor it, and it made several flights across lakes over the years. The frame getting bent up from windy trips across lakes ended up being its undoing.

I did love that old, thing, though. It was fantastic if you didn't have much wind.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Ok yeah i just got rid of my dx suitcase.i liked that shelter because it was solid in the wind while in it.i had my old clam 2000 suitcase set sail along with my auger and lantern all the way to the other end of the lake one time.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:46 AM »
This is my 4th or 5th year with my DX3000 and I love it. They discontinued them last year, so I'm glad I got one when I did. I sort of figured the end was near on the suicases, because Shappell was the only company still selling them back when I bought mine.

Looks like we're going to get a bit of snow around here over the weekend, so that'll help with the glare slide.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:18 AM »
The ground in Indy has only been white one day when we had an over night dusting. A few flakes blew around yesterday
afternoon.

On the subject of slick ice.  A few years back a buddy of mine, who lives on a small pond, built a "shanty" out of visquene and
firring strips.  The base was a piece of 3/8 inch plywood wihich he cut out a couple of holes to fish through.  It had no anchor.  One
breezy night, as he told it later, he was fishing when all of a sudden "the holes disappeared..." Next thing he knew, he was sliding,
sailing accross the pond and crashed into the cattails on the other side.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:48 PM »
I purposely rode a shanty across the back of the slough on a crazy windy day. Got going so fast I had a cleat come off my boot trying to stop.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:09 PM »
Speaking of slick ice I just came back from salamonie where i saw a guy fall coming onto the ice, hour later i fell hard on my tailbone sitting back down on my bucket. The bucket shot out from under me as i sat down. Bucket and gear went 20 ft behind me. I had ice spikes on too. Im going to run screws thru the bottom of the bucket so they stick out 1/2" below bottom lip. They should bite each time you set on it. On positive side I caught a limit of nice crappies in 3 hours and gave them to couple guys who drove 150 mile from southern indiana. they didnt have many fish so i told them anyone who will drive that far to ice fish deserves a limit to take home. They were happy.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:28 PM »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS  not a snow drought!  i better stock up on food n ammo ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:19 PM »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS  not a snow drought!  i better stock up on food n ammo ;D

:roflmao:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2022, 09:56 PM »
Don't forget toilet paper
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:22 AM »
i still have just a path through the house from the toilet paper scare of 2020. lmao 

OANN the real story

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:49 PM »
i still have just a path through the house from the toilet paper scare of 2020. lmao

I still can't figure that one out! But then we have Bidets to fall back on.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:04 AM »
Well you must have summoned the snow gods cuz I woke up to snow on the ground! I can now drag my sled to a spot I've been wanting to fish. I was gonna try to carry it all in a backpack today thru the woods...lol.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:10 AM »
now the ice is twice as slippery. lol

OANN the real story

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Finally got some snow cover. Fishing clear ice in clear water makes the bite a little tough. And I don't have to worry about taking a ride across the lake in my shanty when the wind kicks up. :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Still snowing here. We have maybe half an inch so far. Setting up the fish house in this wind sucked, but the bite is on.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Somebody come over here in Hobart and get rid of this 6" of "Snow Drought" in my drive way, please! :-\
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2022, 08:48 AM »
better get at it before gets heavy. was like shoveling clouds at sunup.  that kind of snow ill shovel any day. lol

OANN the real story

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2022, 11:37 AM »
We got another 6inches on top of the 4+ we had last night. At least its fluffy for shovelin. We need ice coverage!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:40 PM »
We got 3 1/2 inches tops here today. I usually pull out the 54 inch John Deere snow blower and do my driveway and my elderly neighbor's. One trip to the end of the driveways and one trip back and I'm done. Didn't think 3 1/2 inches was worth getting the tractor out, but my neighbor shoveled his out and maintained we got 5 inches. There's no way we got 5 inches, but it's not worth arguing over.  ;D. I do his driveway now 'cause he used to do mine.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:43 PM »
We ended up with maybe an inch. Hard to tell because it was light powder and the wind blew it all over the place.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:53 PM »
Our snow drought is over with about 5 to 6" of snow here in sw Michigan.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.