Author Topic: Pike  (Read 1690 times)

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike
« on: Jan 16, 2022, 04:41 PM »
Going for pike next weekend. Never focused on them much before, but a buddy is coming to ice fish for his first experience and this is what he wants to catch.  I am going  to set out tip ups with large shiners for bait. Not really sure if that is the most productive way.  Should I jig at all? Any helpful pointers are greatly appreciated gents!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:03 PM »
They'll hit plugs like jigging Raps, or a jig with a minnow on it.

Tipped helicopter and airplane jigs worked well for me in the distant past, too, but I'm not sure if they even make either of those anymore. I haven't really went after northerns through the ice in years.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:32 PM »
i always had good luck with live med shinerson traps, some guys like dead bait, but never tried  ::)
i had good luck using air plane jigs for lake trout tiped with meat, and no, not hot dogs  ;D
blue , green or black  glow too air plane on trout, not sure on pike  :o
northland still makes them
ill have to try them on pike
good luck  :thumbsup:

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09:53 PM »
zcm_82. Do you have any examples of those lures?
I love trying to copy the older ways. If I can figure it out. I'll make us some.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:09 AM »
Old airplane jig like the ones I have.

I guess these are actually called Whistling Jigs. We always just called them helicopter jigs.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:44 AM »
first off, i wouldnt piss away money on shiners.  take a bucket with you and catch small perch or gills for bait.  much hardier and its what they are eating already.

second, i would put out 2 flags each and jig for panfish or pike with the third rod.  dont be afraid to set deep off the break and shallow as 6ft. cover the bases so to speak.

third, keep moving.  ill let a flag sit in a known hot spot for hours.  but if im searching ill "hole hope" my flags after 30min.  drill way ahead after setting out your spread.  zigzag along a break.

concentrate on necked down areas, mouths of bays, mid lake humps, out in front of inlets, along deep weed edges, inside turns in a steep break.

thread a willow leaf blade on your leader and pin it above the hook between 2 split shots.  the clanging and flash has seemed to up our catches.  been doing it for decades now.  if the water is muddy glow and rattles can be a big help in getting bit too.

good luck tacking your friend out on his first ice adventure.  hope he catches some memories!

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Solid advice y'all... very much appreciated

Offline Tim Burr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:56 AM »
River Scum, have you ever heard of using 50lb test mono or similar line as a leader,  instead of a wire leader. Was wondering if there is a presentation advantage?
Looks Like a Good Spot

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:54 AM »
Well, I've done it! Not a world record, but I caught my first pike. Used a shiner on a tip up. Very very windy day, few people on the lake. My sled was blowing on the slick ice in front of me... felt like walking a running dog as I just held on to the rope and let me sled blow in front of me lol. More ice skaters out today than fishermen. Phenomenal experience!

Tight lines gents!!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:01 AM »
Congrats man! first one is always special.
Yeah it was windy as crap out today. Not a single tip up went off but caught one on my rod with 3 lb line and a fly..lol. was a blast on noodle rod with a fly reel on it

Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:19 AM »
wtg dano2013!!!!

ftwwalleye that had to an epic battle there!  good job on the fight.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2022, 06:36 AM »
I just switched from 7×7 single strand wire and #8 trebles to 15# fluorocarbon and 1/0 circle hooks yesterday. Went 3 for 6 with no break offs. Golden shiners over suckers as well.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2022, 04:46 PM »
Phenomenal man!! Potentially the most wind I can recall of ever ice fishing in...I had a minnow bucket lid blow away across the ice only to get stopped by a friendly fellas shanty! Memorable times

Congrats man! first one is always special.
Yeah it was windy as crap out today. Not a single tip up went off but caught one on my rod with 3 lb line and a fly..lol. was a blast on noodle rod with a fly reel on it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.