Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Salmon

Hit and Runs?????

(1/3) > >>

AdkIceman:
I was out fishing an Adirondack Lake yesterday on Christmas Eve and I had no trouble getting my limit of lakers so then I switched to salmon. I had four salmon flags but they all resulted in hit and peel off 15 yards and leave me with a chewed up bait. My set up was a Noreaster Tip UP *lb fluorocarbon leader three feet under the ice with a size 8 gamagatzu octopus hook and a small lead split shot with a small icicle for bait. I was wondering if anyone knew why salmon like to hit and run and anything you can do to limit them from doing this.
AdkIceman

PERCH_INC.:
Sounds like thay are feeling some pressure on the line. Are you using a bobber as  a depth marker??

AdkIceman:
no pressure on the line and i have the tip ups set with no drag and they are very sensitive i am wondering since the lake is full of smelt when they grab the icicle it doesnt taste familiar and they spit it out although i have caught them on icicles there before.

Pasquatch:
Its not because its not smelt...they are either feeling resistance, or are just zipping around in normal salmon fashion, slashing whatever bait they find. I think sometimes they just stun the minnows by grabbing them, and aren't particularly interested in eating them. They may just be having fun.

PERCH_INC.:
Try some lighter line 2# or 3#!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version