Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Salmon

Where & how to fish for Salmon

<< < (2/6) > >>

amazinmoose:
I have had experanced salmon fishermen tell me 1-5' under the ice... others have told me 1' below to the bottom of the lake..  they swim everywhere...  i dont knwo what to think anymore...  i think ill just put some under the ice, on the bottom and in the middle....  tightlines and good luck moose!

Bob S.:
Anima1z where are you from?  when ice fishing for salmon you should fish in the first 3 feet under the ice. you will notice when you catch 1 that there noses are all scratched up from brushing up against the ice. thats because they are used to swimming along the top of the tanks waiting to be fed.

Pasquatch:

--- Quote from: Bob S. on Jan 01, 2006, 09:42 AM ---Anima1z where are you from?  when ice fishing for salmon you should fish in the first 3 feet under the ice. you will notice when you catch 1 that there noses are all scratched up from brushing up against the ice. thats because they are used to swimming along the top of the tanks waiting to be fed.

--- End quote ---

I think the reason they get their noses cut up is from chasing baitfish, not from rubbing their snouts along the ice waiting for a meal to drop down. Wild salmon have the same habits as those from stock tanks,  they've never been fed in a tank in their lives...

Danderson:
I've also heard of putting shiners only a foot below the ice. wht im wondering tho is wht depth water to be in? are they deep, mid range or shallow? i hit 5 mile yesterday and NO salmon have been caught yet, thats out of 70! Did have some rainbows playin with the shiners. im gonna give the lake one more try soon.

ifishhi:
i like 2-3' under the ice in 20-30' of water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version