Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Salmon

Where & how to fish for Salmon

(1/6) > >>

Anima1z:
I am from Mass.  and I have never caught a salmon through the ice or open water... Where would you look? I have caught plenty of trout, do the salmon hang out in the same area?  Also I asked someone at my local bait store about the stocked salmon and they told me that they die if they are not caught within a few months after stocking... is this true?

Any info is appreciated.. Thanks!

adkRoy:
Have you ever been up to Lake George in NY. Salmon usually hang out 1-10 feet just below the ice all over the lake. They usually cruise all over the ice.  As for the stocked salmon dying, have never heard of that before.

MikeVT:
Check out Onota Lake in Pittsfield, they have been stocking it with salmon for a few years now.  Try setting a medium size minnow just underneath the ice ( 5 feet or so).  All the ones I have caught have been just under the ice.  Good Luck.

Anima1z:
Thanks for the tips, Lake Onata is HUGE compared to what I normally ice fish.  Last year I was thinking about going there only thing was its size..  I will place a few flags below the ice and see what happens!

Thanks!

flagfreak:
Animalz,
I know they stock Lake Cochtuate in Natick,a guy I know got a 8 lber Saturday.I concur that you catch them 1 to 10 ft under the Ice
Good Luck

Gerry :tipup: :tipup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version