Author Topic: Gloves or mittens?  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Icehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice is Hot
Gloves or mittens?
« on: Jan 31, 2003, 11:17 PM »
:'( What is the best glove or preferably mittens you use for warmth and just as importantly flexibility?
Fish, friends and beer, it does'nt get anty better!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: Gloves or mittens?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:34 PM »
I use woolen half finger gloves with a flapover mitten.  They have thinsulate sandwiched between the woollen outer and polar fleece inner liner.  Warmest concoction that I have ever worn.  They can get wet and still retain your body heat.  The flip back mitten exposes your fingers to change hooks, open a beer, etc.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2003, 03:14 AM »
I use deer skin fleece lined mittens with a hot hands warmer in each one.never get cold.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
Re:Gloves or mittens?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:34 AM »
Fleece lined glacier gloves are the ticket for me. Better then the non-lined gloves by far :'(

flaggggg

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:48 PM »
l got a pair of fleece mitts that open in the middle of your palm so you can slide your whole hand out.Comfy,warm,not to mention incredibly functional. :'(

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:42 PM »
I have/use both. If my hands get wet I dry them and pull on the mittens, when they warm up I go back to gloves. Polarfleece makes some really nice mittens that work very well.
FTD

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:14 AM »
I normally don't wear gloves, but when I do it's the "chopper" mitts like HIMO. Very warm and easy to get on cold hands.

bugman-Greg

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:22 PM »
I know I may hear it about this but I have almost always used Neoprean gloves, even if the get wet your hands will stay warm, kinda works like a SCUBA diving wet suit. As a matter of fact i use my dive gloves in the winter months

Offline lawnguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:49 PM »
neoprene or wool for me.  sealskins seem to be the best neoprene I've found and the wool just for the fact that wool wicks moisture away from the hands
Saftey First!!

trapdaddy21

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:34 PM »
neoprene gloves are ok as long as you leave them on, if you hands sweat and you take them off, they are really cold to put back on. i like to just wear cheap jersey gloves, that way i can fit my hands in a muff with a handwarmer inside it.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:28 PM »
 When it's super cold I use a pair of glommits.They are a cross between gloves and mittens.They enable me to still use my thumb and index finger,so i can still do some things.And they keep the warmth like a mitten.
When it's not too cold I wear a thin glove,and have a backup fleece lined deerskin mitten under my jacket staying warm.

bdperch

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:21 PM »
I go to my local farm store and buy the pacs of chore gloves(yellow) ones. They are cheap and easy to dry at night. When they get wet I just grab a new pair. When it is real cold I use the disposable hand warmers. They are also nice and thin for feeling fish.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:48 PM »
Ask some firemen in your area  what their mitt liners are like.The warmest pair I ever had came from the fire dept. They are woven in cross patterns and if I hadn't hit the stove  I'd still have them. I think they're raw wool.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Fleet Farm has some, or had some cool mitts. Grit on the outside, wool on the inside. Bought XL, plenty of room for handwarmers (bag type), and easy off and on to grab the fish. Only $8.  By the way, if you use the 12 hour warmers to get some real heat and you only fish 4 or 6 hours, put them in a ziplock baggie, suck out the air at the corner as you're sealing and they'll be good for another 6 hours ;D ;D ;D ;D
GILLCRAZY

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:34 PM »
I use neoprene gloves with a cotton liner are waterproof and flexible and stay warm. Only take them off to tie a knot keep them on for hooking minnows and landing fish. Really depends on the climate here in Mass. it doesn't go below zero too much so these work for me.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline GoFish123

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Fishermen don't yield to the weather."
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:53 PM »
I bought a pair of snowboarding gloves this past fall.    The manufacturer is DROP.  I have used these gloves during the hunting seasons, snowmobiling, icefishing, riding my quad, skiing, and many other activities.  I prefer snowboarding gloves because they are made for harsh winter conditions and from the latest technologies.  We have technology available so why not use it.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2004, 12:45 PM »
Nope. The old standard, 100% ragg wool mittens. Keeps your hands warm even when wet. Dont need nothin else. :'(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:46 AM »
I use chopper mittens if hands get cold in my fleece gloves. If is moderate wear a pair of Isotoner gloves as moderately warm, not too bulky. My fleese gloves are waterproof with a thinsulite liner and neoprene hand pads. I looked but could not find a brand name in them but the outer shell is 100% polyester. :'(
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2004, 08:49 AM »
i use a small pair of neoprene gloves and a handwarmer that goes around my waist like a quarterback would have it works great for a quick warm up

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2004, 12:45 AM »
I try to wear gloves, but they are usually in my bucket more than on my hands.  Your hands are only cold for a few minutes then you get used to it.

I like to feel what I am doing, and gloves restrict that feel for just about anything you do.

I try to protect my hands, but like they say it always feels better without protection.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2004, 07:42 AM »
When I do wear gloves I use  a half finger glove with a flap over mitten made from wool and lined with thinsulate.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:52 AM »
I'm kinda like polar. Same glove/mit combo but when travelling on sled or ATV, I put on a snowmobile mit. They are great especially when -45 F. But when I get to my destination I usually put the other on as you are able to play the fish better. I like to use my bare hands whenever comfortable enough.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2005, 08:27 AM »
If the fish are bitting and my hands are getting wet allot I like those stretchy rubber palm gloves,with a pair of wool mittens.With this combation you can bite onto the mitten and pull it off while your fighting the fish and pulling the vexilar trans. out of the hole and busting your A$$ getting up.OOH got to love this sport.

Basshuntah

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Gloves man, got to move those fingers, no exceptions. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.