Author Topic: Cascade 2018  (Read 14210 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Cascade 2018
« on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Okay guys, it's not too early to start making some preliminary plans for the annual trips up to Cascade next season.  I'm planning on going once in January and once in February.  The dates have not been set in concrete yet, but I'll be traveling up on a Sunday or a Monday and will be staying through until Saturday morning.  I'll be staying at Birch Glen in Cascade and I'm looking for somebody to share expenses on travel and the motel room.

If you are retired or have a VERY flexible work schedule in the winter and would be interested in partnering up with an ancient old fart, let me know.  I only have one requirement - you must have your own ice transport or be willing to rent one when you get there.  Riding double and hauling two sleds behind my ice wagon for that many days and over those distances (10 to 20 miles daily) is not to my liking. I do have an enclosed, two place trailer and an 8ft, tonneau covered truck bed that should handle all the gear needed for 2 people.  Motel room will be 2 queen size beds at a very affordable rate.  Meals will be at local restaurants that are open at 6 AM for breakfast.

I'm going regardless, but if you can swing the time off or are retired with nothing to do that time of year and want to share expenses, let me know.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cascade 2018
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Not interested in staying in Cascade,I just drive up . Just wanted to let you know F&G has stocked ALOT of trout in Cascade this year. The large snowpack and high runoff made stocking rivers impractical this spring , so the Res got the fish.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Hey Bob our group that does Henry's in December are planning a trip the 1st or 2nd week of January to cascade but will have possibly up to a dozen people going. I have been coordinating a bit of this and will be renting a house off of VRBO in the boulder creek area right on the water. Maybe we can meet up if the stars align and thats the same weekend you are up there. We are also looking at hitting the poor fish ranch on the way home staying in ontario or caldwell and fishing for sturgeon thru the ice on that private pond. I fished it last week on my way home from Bend, OR and had a blast. Pulled in over 40 sturgeon from 20"-35" between me and my stepson in 3hrs. Good time. I'll get a post going as soon as i have the people confirmed and the reservation for the house taken care of. Oh and by the way thats one sweet boat you got yourselve Bob seen it over on bft when you got it  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Hey Bob we have our reservation in for January 12-15, The plan is still to leave here early on the morning of Friday January 12th and come home on the morning of Monday January 15th. Possibly making a stop at the sturgeon pond in Parma. We are staying at a house on mountain road between butter cup and poison creek boat ramps, a little closer to butter cup. We'll be riding out to fish from the house on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Looking at your plan maybe we can get together up there on the Friday we arrive if your dates fall around this weekend. Let me know and hope your having a blast rippin lips in that new sweet boat you got  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2017, 12:59 PM »
February date already set with my group, but haven't determined anything in January yet.  January can be VERY unpredictable early on as the last 2 years have proven.  Probably will not make plans until January 1 for my January trip.  I'll be killing geese in Torrington, WY Jan 21 - 25, but that's all that's on my calendar right now.  I definitely would love to make the December Henry's Lake trip this year.  Can you keep me in the loop on that one?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Looks like the avatar pic worked out  :thumbsup: gotcha on the email list for both trips
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Yes, the fix is how you import it into IMGUR.  Before you click on ADD IMAGE, you select which album (if needed) to add it to and right below that you select the AUTO RESIZE function to use.  In this case it was the first one on the list - 80X80 (avatar).  Then click on ADD IMAGE.  Then, you can go to IS and add that URL to your profile and it will work.

I'm not sure I like the fuzzy picture you now see, and I may try to use a slightly bigger size than 80X80 to see if IS will take a larger size.  Stay tuned.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2017, 07:00 PM »
If there's a 120 size try that. I believe that's what mine is from photobucket
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Check this thread out, I believe it's exactly what you did and 120x120 is the max avatar pic size you can use

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=198821.msg1942465#msg1942465
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks was mistaken.   ;D

I played around editing a picture I wanted to use on IS as my avatar.  First, I used my FastStone Image Viewer 6.3 app to crop and resize the image to the desired square shape and then downsized it to a 120X120 pixel size.  I started at 200X200 and worked down to 120X120 in 10 pixel steps.  Matt, you are correct that IS will not accept anything larger than 120X120 for use as an avatar.  I then imported that 120X120 image into my account on IMGUR where I was able to copy a direct URL link that I could copy/paste into my IS Profile settings.  I now have the avatar (some of those beautiful Cascade jumbo perch) that I wanted to use on here.

You may have noticed that some of the pictures and avatars on here have been replaced with an image from Photobucket stating you need to update your PB account to allow 3rd party hosting.  That is because PB is no longer offering this service for free.  You need to pay them an obscene amount to use their service anymore.  I switched to IMGUR which is still free.  However, I have no idea how long that will last.  There is a learning curve to IMGUR, but if this old fart can figure it out, it can't be too hard.  Anywho, I now have a new avatar on IS and I like it.

Is the deck hard yet???   :icefish:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Bob you give me hope that i can be taught new tricks!!

Holy crap nice perch!! I'd mount one that big.  ;)

Looking forward cascade..
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Bob you give me hope that i can be taught new tricks!!

Holy crap nice perch!! I'd mount one that big.  ;)

Looking forward cascade..

X2 on that HB, cant wait to get into some of those pigs. Hey Bob I'm still having issues with your email through my server so I'll keep you updated from my phone
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Here's the weather station that is at Cascade Dam. Doesnt look like the cold has set in there to good yet. Lowest it shows is 32deg for now. Located at 4720ft.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=CSCI1&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

This station is called Jays Cabin just north of Cascade. 5017ft

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=LLBI1&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

This weather station is called Little Donner and its just a little further north of the jays Cabin station, it has been getting down to 29deg and has alot more info. Located at 5239ft

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=ITD68&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Spent a few hours online looking for maps with not much luck. Right before I was headed to bed I thought about my finder on the boat. Good news! :thumbsup:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:16 PM »
I think we'll have a few spots to check by the time January gets here for sure  ;)2  good thing you remembered to check the helix 9
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:07 PM »
Spent a few hours online looking for maps with not much luck. Right before I was headed to bed I thought about my finder on the boat. Good news! :thumbsup:
(Image removed from quote.)

Another option for online lake maps: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@8&key=gsgoGp_mcU

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:10 AM »
I do the same thing all the time. I pull the Helix 10 out of the boat and play with it while I am sitting on the couch (use the power cord from my 386 ice portable unit to start it up). That gives me the option to edit waypoints routes etc while in comfort while watching the game lol. My wife just shakes her head and says I have a problem but you guys get it.

Also we have tentatively penciled in that weekend to be in Cascade ourselves (My wife and I, a buddy and his wife and possibly one more) so we will most likely stop by and fish with you all for a while at least. We will be staying pretty much directly across the lake from you all and hopefully the ice will be good enough that we will be running around on our sleds.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:57 PM »
I do the same thing all the time. I pull the Helix 10 out of the boat and play with it while I am sitting on the couch (use the power cord from my 386 ice portable unit to start it up). That gives me the option to edit waypoints routes etc while in comfort while watching the game lol. My wife just shakes her head and says I have a problem but you guys get it.

Also we have tentatively penciled in that weekend to be in Cascade ourselves (My wife and I, a buddy and his wife and possibly one more) so we will most likely stop by and fish with you all for a while at least. We will be staying pretty much directly across the lake from you all and hopefully the ice will be good enough that we will be running around on our sleds.
Look forward to seeing you on the ice! The helix nine is locked and loaded and ready to get put on the snowmobile for the trip!

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Just laughing out loud after reading the post here from massNtrash.....my wife also says I "have a problem" too.  I think I overheard her talking to other family members about pulling together an intervention or something. She then said something about me being in denial...to which I responded "Don't be ridiculous, the Nile river doesn't freeze over..."......oh wait, OK maybe she has a point.....

But, like massNtrash stated...you guys get it.... ;)
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:42 PM »
That's a big YEP they'll never understand
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:16 PM »
I guess we are all in the same boat at least we get each other.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Here's the weather station that is at Cascade Dam. Doesnt look like the cold has set in there to good yet. Lowest it shows is 32deg for now. Located at 4720ft.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=CSCI1&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

This station is called Jays Cabin just north of Cascade. 5017ft

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=LLBI1&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

This weather station is called Little Donner and its just a little further north of the jays Cabin station, it has been getting down to 29deg and has alot more info. Located at 5239ft

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=ITD68&num=48&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

Guess it's time to start watching the temps/cams. From what I can see tonight there only appears to be a couple inches of snow on the little donner cam. Bring on the ice at cascade
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Not to much snow yet

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:31 PM »
 Come onnn cold..  ;D
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Got an update on ice from tackle toms. There's only about an inch if that of snow in town. The cold that been around for the last 10 days has most of the northern part of the lake iced up but it didn't sound quite fishable yet. The Ramp in town tacked up in the last couple days and the main part of of the lake still had some open water. There's some ice around sugarloaf. Talking with him it sounds like this year is a bit later for deep snow but only momma nature can/will dictate that. If it doesn't get to deep it might be like Henry's this year and we'll be riding bikes, which I'm fine with as I just found out that your required to have a non resident $32.50 snowmobile tag. If needed it can be purchased online or at ADS/triple s in west haven. The area you'll need it for is 43B. We'll address that as it gets closer of course. I'm hoping the deep snow/slush stays away and its perfect for whatever ride suits you. More to come........
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Just to clarify a bit for those that have not ever purchased a snowmobile tag in Idaho.  The tag is good for use anywhere in the state.  The area you designate is where Idaho will spend 85% of your fees.  The fees are generally used for groomer & trail maintenance which probably won't apply to ice fishing lakes.  You can designate a specific unit to apply your fees or use the default option of 'Statewide' if you don't want to select a specific area.  I ordered mine on-line last week and haven't received it yet.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Bob could you post up a link to where you purchased the sticker?

Also what are the dates that you guys will be there again? I am going to be there the 12-15 of January ice permitting. Already ordered a bunch of slab rabs, rippin raps, tingler spoons etc along with a new custom rod basically just for this trip. I have been dreaming about it for a while so I am glad I finally will get to fish this lake. The wife isn't going to ruin this plan she has already been informed of that!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:57 AM »
K2muskie posted on another site that you can pick them up here in Utah at Tripple S dealer in West Haven for Idaho, you may want to give them a call. They may fall under another name now like ADS or something like that but I know they use to go by Tripple S when I bought my new Polaris from them two years ago. Thought that may help you, Kim usually doesn't put out any bad info and is always on top of things.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Headed to Cascade on the 8th of Jan. returning home on the 12th, trying to dodge some of the ice tourneys up there, suppose to be good ice on the upper end with very little snow. Sharon at BG told me last evening that the temps are suppose to drop below zero this next week for a few days, looking forward to it. Merry Christmas everyone have a happy and safe holiday season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.