Author Topic: Do i need a new spot?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
Do i need a new spot?
« on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I have been researching eelpout alot lately preparing myself to pick a decent spot for eelout festival this year.  i went out and picked a spot that is right on the top edge of a drop off.  i am near the tip of and underwater point.  one side of my house is on 32fow and the other end (12ft away) is on 40fow.  the bottom is pretty soft, with what looks like sand.  I am about .25 miles off of walker city beach, almost straight out, maybe a little north of straight out from the beach.  we caught 3 walleye yesterday, 2 at night and one in the morning. 

From this information, do you think the spot sounds like a good spot to try for eelpout festival?  any help would be appreciated.

thanks......see you all there!
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I only angle through ice
Re: Do i need a new spot?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:01 PM »
should be alright, but if its close to the main area, your gonna have to deal with alot of traffic. atleast you know you will get action with the walleyes. personally, i have never caught an eye during poutfest although i have seen a few little ones on the aquaview during the day.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Last year I fished a 35' hump straight across from the festivities on the opposite side near Leaning tree... it was a dud!  I will also fish further away from the crowd. If cant get into Agency bay I may try a rock hump that is in south walker bay  right out from the DNR  W47.04.343 N94.33.351  for this great tip leave me a space to park my snobear  and 4 tipups and a cold beer please.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Or try Harry's bucktail hump  where Carper and I fished two years ago  W47.05.603  N94.33.509  its right to the west of Templar point,

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:59 PM »
i appreciate the coordinates.  i will likely try one of those spots if i decide to move.  in general.... doesn anyone in the main group of houses catch much for pout, or do most of the fish come from the houses that are further away?

is it a good thing to see some walleye in the same spot that you hope to catch eelpout?

do you think the eelpout will move to different areas between last weekend and the festival, or are they already on the same pattern that they will be on for the festival?

my house doesnt crank down, so its alot of work to bank up all that snow so if i have a little confidence in the spot, i will stay put.

man....i need to catch a pout this year!
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.