Author Topic: Walleye fishing  (Read 7555 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Walleye fishing
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:37 AM »
I was talking to Bugchazer today and came to the hard fact ,that Walleye fishing this yr will close on most lakes ,because they have trout in them,on Feb 28 2015. So much for fishing for them all yr, There is one lake left Pocotopaug, Which is hard to access,no public boat launch. town owned and stocked with Walter. the other option is the river and coves. Maybe we need to work on getting the lakes to stay open for walleye in the future. I could care less about catching Trout(cat food) that taste like liver pellets. let hear some support??

Offline Eyeballer860

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Walleye fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Couldn't agree more, trout are a waste of money around here, I personally would rather see all the money that's dumped into the pointless stocking of doomed trout allocated to producing a better walleye fishery. I have seen first hand the amount of attention our walleye lakes recieve each season and am dumbfounded that the deep is considering cutting back the walleye program... Typical connecticut BS! Has anyone had much luck with Walter on the CT river south of weathersfield cove? After hurricane sandy and the high water you would think Walters would have been washed down this way, it seems like perfect habitat?

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:01 PM »
There are BIB EYES in there if you can find them but state stopped stocking it a couple yrs ago , you must know someone to park

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Squantz is open into March. Hope the state doesn't cut back on walleye, I was hoping for more stocking. I guess our votes in last years survey were ignored.

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:08 PM »
They don't care what we think , they move opening day wow ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:19 PM »
There are BIB EYES in there if you can find them but state stopped stocking it a couple yrs ago , you must know someone to park

Saw the pics myself.  Big old CT eyes in a place your not suppose to ice fish...

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:25 PM »
I have a friend that lives on the lake we have seen 10# fish swim by his beach area in the summer

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Based on what I saw with my own eyes I can see that being entirely possible!

I think and this is going back elcaptianmas got one that size in CTon video.  It might be on youtube still.

Offline moose444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2015, 02:40 PM »
Is there really talk about cutting the walleye program? That would be a real bummer it has created quite a lot of new excitement in Connecticut....

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:20 PM »
It would be a great program if they would put them in a lake that they can reproduce in, or build a hatchery to do it in state like Onieda Lake

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2015, 03:33 PM »
It has been suggested to the state by me and others for them to stock Stillwater pond . With the West Branch of the Naugatuck feeding it Walter may have a chance at reproduction . All falls on deaf ears . Instead the stock in Lake Zoar and have stocked heavily in lake Housatonic both are P.C.B. contaminated with fish eating advisory's . Make any sense to stock the best eating fresh water fish in these waters ?   

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I think the chances of teen size eyes are better in waters where people won't take them for consumption.  However you make a good point.  When I read about Mt. Tom being stocked....I shook my head. What about Colebrook...great habitat too no?

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Rainbow resevoir is a damned portion of the lower Farmington before it reaches the ct river and is litterally 100% capable of walleye reproduction,why you ask. Simple, I have caught and seen walleye caught in the lower stretches of the Farmington and all around the mouth where it dumps into the ct river. The ph levels in rainbow resevoir are the exact same as they are in the waters where they already reproduce naturally. The Farmington flows into it which would give them a perfect spawning ground in the spring and the lake it self is more than deep enough to allow them cool moving water during the summer months even though they don't need deep cool water as much as everyone thinks. It is litterally the only 100% guaranteed location for natural reproduction in the state. Not saying other lakes don't have the ability but the waters in rainbow resevoir have already been proven it is capable only a few miles down stream. But this is ct so it would make way to much sense to put them into a lake that is capable of reproduction and by no means a trout or trophy bass lake.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:16 PM »
Last year there were college kids doig surveys on Crystal Lake in Ellington and one of the questions was would I be in favor of stocking walleyes in here, of corse I said yes.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline AustinB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I have caught several keeper sized walleye out of the CT river north of where the farmington river meets it. I definitely agree that rainbow res would make a great walleye spot, however, they do drain it down from time to time which would cause issues. On a side note, if you ever get the chance to go there when it is drained, it is quite a sight and a fun walk through what would be over 30 feet of water in places, it is like a new planet. You can also cash in on lures that have been lost
Tight Lines

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I agree with Lowaccord66 Starting in colebrook using the farmington river chain of water. We could have some great walleye reproducing lakes or reservoirs  We can put the trout vs walleye debate to rest they coexist In many other states and lakes. I also say we can still fish for walleyes and not impact the trout population after Feb 28th,that law needs to be changed. Saltenstall a great place to fish for nice sized walleye, not open until opening day of trout season closes last week in Nov. you can only fish it in the hrs. of sunrise to sunset,Just when the walleye bite starts to turn on they kick you out of the lake. so much for catching a nocturnal fish.they do not reproduce in there either. There is one sure thing in this state THEY WILL TAX YOU TO DEATH

Offline moose444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Love the Colebrook idea I think that could be dynamic.....

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:38 PM »
I would be very surprised if the state stocks walter in the Farmington River watershed. Even if some already exist there, there will be concern over the potential impact to alewives and herring. Or some other "species of special concern".  ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Love the Colebrook idea I think that could be dynamic.....

All the best fisheries I have experienced have a ton of "vertical structure"  Colebrook certainly does, along with all the other fun structure.  The speed limit and lack of development prevents most of the pleasure boaters from going...place seems like a great spot. 

And shamefully I wouldn't mind the 3 minute tow to hit some eyes after work!

Offline livetoicefish90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish and fish to live. It's my way of life
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Eiderz is squantz really open into March!? I thought it closed end of February and that's what it's says in the CT lakes and ponds book and website

Offline moose444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I have spent a bit of time in the Midwest fishing for walleye Colebrook would be superb!...sorry for repeating myself...Just sayin!...

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:47 PM »
"And shamefully I wouldn't mind the 3 minute tow to hit some eyes after work!"
that's my same feeling fishing Batterson lol. I agree we need more walleye lakes!! They can stock the rivers an streams with trout an select lakes. Im all up for amping up the walleye program. I can think of a few lakes in ct. that they could stock, makes no sense closing off the lakes on the 28th, if anything close them a month before opening day( whenever that is this year). it would def. take the pressure off the few eye lakes we have.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:48 PM »
This is a crude cut and paste from the Anglers Guide. Everyone should confirm the regulation for themself.

SQUANTZ POND,
New Fairfield, Sherman
(270 acres)
PHSL
TROUT MANAGEMENT LAKE / WALLEYE LAKE
• Species: (CA WA T LMB SMB YP S
WP)
• Season: Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday
April–March 31.
• Trout: From March 1–March 31, 16"
minimum length, Daily creel limit—1.
• Other: Motors on boats launched at
Squantz Pond State Park launch ramp
limited to 25 hp. 45 mph daytime speed
limit, 25 mph from ˝ hour after sunset
to ˝ hour before sunrise. Fishing from
shore prohibited behind fence along
shore in State Park from Memorial Day
through Labor Day

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Hell yeah we need more walleye spots

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I don't understand why the state does not have the same regs for the rest of the trout ponds as they so Squantz/ ???
MA

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:17 PM »
There are several "trout management lakes" which stay open until March 31.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:22 PM »
At least in a couple of years you'll have several more open legal walleye lakes open after the 28th
MA

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:23 PM »
A quick read of the anglers guide reveals 8 trout management lakes open until March 31, but only one with an active walleye stocking program (Squantz).

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:30 PM »
A quick read of the anglers guide reveals 8 trout management lakes open until March 31, but only one with an active walleye stocking program (Squantz).

Your correct on that. I checked it yesterday.
 Only three or four non trout walleye ponds remain open but to soon to fish.
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:30 PM »

I take it you guys don't like squantz? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.