Author Topic: Anise oil is Magic  (Read 53938 times)

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
Anise oil is Magic
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Anise scent has been used and marketed for years in plastic baits, and for good reason. Last week when the fishing got slow I thought I would employ this attractant to hard water and it's working.
Lately I've been catching alot of fish, 3 to 1 and sometimes skunking my friends completely, using pure Anise Oil on a yellow fly with no bait or just one red spike carefully impaled under the 'eyes' to add some wiggle.  My best bud finally swallowed his pride and asked for some tonight after I went ten up on him in twenty minutes.  I guess the sound of  bull gills flopping in my bucket was to much for him this time. Just a little bit though, too much seems to spook them.  I just brush one side of the fly with a small drop off a toothpick.  Refresh every ten minutes or so.  The fly material holds the scent for quite a while. It was working on my bud's jig also, but he had to refresh more often and wasn't getting the size of fish I was getting with the fly. I got a nice mixed bag tonight of gills, perch, and crappie using that method.  If you want to try it, you can find it near the spice section at any grocery store.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Anise oil is Magic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I put a few drops in my worm bedding and it seems to help in summer too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Use that stuff for rainbow in the spring talk about amazing

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

JJ

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I have good luck with an anise based scent for lakers and landlocks in the past.

Offline ChickenHammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Heeeeere Mr. Mega Slob Green Stripes"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:44 PM »
where do you find this stuff? in the baking section of a supermarket???

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:52 PM »
a bait shop up here has that stuff

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I put anise seed in my worm bedding........ :o
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:36 PM »
You got that right BigMike!  I soak down yarn balls with it for the steelhead runs and they love it!  It shocks people when I bring in big steelies on waxworms and Anise soaked yarn.  Works very well on nymph patterns for fly fishing also (although the purists out there would be offended by that).  The 'Holy Water' on the Piere Marquette and AuSable has banned the stuff along with any other attractant.

I have a buddy that is currently using finely crushed tortilla chips for his spike and waxworm bedding.  The other day he called me in my shanty to tell me he caught a dozen mexican bluegill.  I didn't know what he was talking about until I caught up with him later.  That's been working for him all winter he said.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:45 PM »
I take it that a little anise oil goes a long ways. I was going to try to soak some bait in anise oil, would that be an over kill ?

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I take it that a little anise oil goes a long ways. I was going to try to soak some bait in anise oil, would that be an over kill ?

Maybe not...I've done it for trout species but that's moving water.  It never hurts to experiment.  However, I have noticed that when I douse my fly I see a noticable reduction in strikes. It's pretty strong stuff. get your hands on some and smell it and you'll see what I mean.  I also like to keep my bait nice and lively all the way down to specific attachment techniques that keep them moving longer and doesn't kill them right away. I'm sure soaking bait would kill it.  But like I said, it never hurts to experiment.

Offline paulieg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:48 AM »
you guys should not have let out the secret on the juice :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline crash430

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:16 AM »
anise is great attractant have used it for everything from gills to catfish

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:58 AM »
OK here it is this is what my Uncle tought me 20 years ago .Take the smallest size Vaseline jar you can find & take 1/2 of the Vaseline out & heat  up what is left, just enough to melt & a little warm. Add Anise oil and let cool, now it is very thick .take this with you Ice fishing or reg fishing it works summer & winter put some on your jig it lasts a very long time. Works very well ,just putting the oil on doesn't last very long by it self 

Offline 1cast1catch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:17 AM »
I actually put anise seed in my grounds in my coffee machine for a little flavor. After your comments I just put about a teaspoon of the seed in a pyrex bowl with about a teaspoon of water, microwaved for about a minute to release the nutrient/oil from the seed, now I'm gonna mash it all up and I will add some of that to my spike container to see what happens. Can't call it a deadly secret yet, haven't tried it. ....wait, just thought of something. I will be doing a control and an experimental group of spikes.... One without the seed mash and one with. I'll report back. Thanks guys.

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Have used it on my purist and other plastics for years and it does make the fish take the lure much better!!!!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:21 AM »
This is for all the cooks on the this board.  ;D

Fishing Bait - 10 Oil Based Formulas

FORMULA 1:
Mix together 5 parts oil of rhodium and 2 parts oil of cumen.

Add 1 part tincture of musk. Stir.

Pour into 1/2 oz. bottles and label.

Put 1 or 2 drops on fish bait to attract fish.

FORMULA 2:

Mix together 2 oz. oil of rhodium, 1/2 oz. tincture of musk, 1 oz. oil of cumen, 1/2 oz. juice of loveageroot.

Make a paste of bread crumbs mixed with shreds of cotton or wool. Pour the oil mixture on top of it and mix well.

Keep in tightly sealed bottles.

Break off a small piece of the cotton/wool mixture and use for bait.

FORMULA 3:

Mix together 1 lb. ground aniseed or fennel seed and 1/4 lb. ground allspice.

Sprinkle 1/8 oz. oil of cloves over the above and mix.

Store in tightly sealed jars for a few days while the odors blend.

Put a drop on fish bait.

FORMULA 4:

Combine 1 oz. gum benzoin and 12 oz. olive oil in a double boiler. Heat for 2 hours.

Remove and let stand for a week. Then strain.

Add 30 drops oil of rhodium and 3 drops oil of patchouli. Use a medicine dropper.

Add 1 1/2 oz. bacon grease or lard oil.

Store this mixture in small bottles. Put 1 or 2 drops on meat bait.

FORMULA 5:

Combine 1/2 oz. oil of rhodium, 1/8 oz. oil of spearmint, 1/2 oz. oil of anise and 1 oz. glycerin.

Use 2 drops on any bait.

FORMULA 6:

Combine pure cod liver oil with some red oil-soluble food coloring. Mix.

Dip any bait into the mixture.

FORMULA 7:

Put a loosely-covered jar of dead worms in a garage, barn or outbuilding.

Wait 10 days or until they have turned to liquid.

Pour off 1/2 oz. of the liquid and mix 20 drops of oil of rhodium with it.

Put a drop or 2 on fish bait.

FORMULA 8:

Take odd pieces of cut-up fish, clams, lead minnows, crawfish and eels and put into a loosely-covered glass jar.

Leave until it turns to oil.

Mix 1 part oil of anise with 5 parts of the fish oil.

Use on fish bait. Especially attracts bottom feeding fish.

FORMULA 9:

Combine 2 oz. cod liver oil with 20 drops oil of anise. Mix well.

Use on bait. Especially attracts trout.

FORMULA 10:

Combine 1/2 oz. oil of rhodium and 1/2 pint olive oil.

Put a drop or two on fish bait.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I spray it on my bucktails and have caught plenty of big musky's using it also.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:23 PM »
I've been wondering what to do with all my extra 'oil of rhodium' THANK GOD FOR THOSE RECIPES!  LOL  ;D ;D

Offline 1cast1catch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:15 PM »
*FOLLOW UP REPORT*

Spikes with anise solution caught 90% large mouth bass

Spikes without, caught 90% bluegill

What was interesting is that I had never caught a largemouth on my tiny panfish jigs (tipped with spike) until I added the anise. Bizarre.

Thanks for the idea.

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:12 PM »
 We use it on the sucker meat that we put on the bottom for lake trout. I lower the chum pot down the jigging holes and dump it on the bottom. I drop my jig into the bait pile and hang on !! The anise attractant that I use drives the lakers crazy :o We had 5 nice lakers come in last sunday within  2" of my camera. It was just like watching a shark feeding frenzy,they were ramming,slashing and biting each other.We hooked one of them and he had a 4" bite mark on his side. WICKED COOL TO WATCH  :o

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:21 PM »
catfish love it mixed with sonnys blood bait in the summer... i use a hole container of the oil

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:28 PM »
you guys should not have let out the secret on the juice :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

K&E did that years ago with the Bass Stopper Worm.  You can't walk through a plastics section with out seeing it marketed on everthing from 10" wacky worms to fake wax worms.

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:39 PM »
OK here it is this is what my Uncle tought me 20 years ago .Take the smallest size Vaseline jar you can find & take 1/2 of the Vaseline out & heat  up what is left, just enough to melt & a little warm. Add Anise oil and let cool, now it is very thick .take this with you Ice fishing or reg fishing it works summer & winter put some on your jig it lasts a very long time. Works very well ,just putting the oil on doesn't last very long by it self 

Now that's a good idea, thanks

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:46 PM »
*FOLLOW UP REPORT*

Spikes with anise solution caught 90% large mouth bass

Spikes without, caught 90% bluegill

What was interesting is that I had never caught a largemouth on my tiny panfish jigs (tipped with spike) until I added the anise. Bizarre.

Thanks for the idea.

That makes  alot of sense.  Anise scent is marketed and used in so many Bass baits.  That's one of the reasons I just put a tiny bit on my ice flies.  Too much seemed to spook the gills but just the right amount made them inhale it. The ice flies I tie are also size 12 to 16, usally small enough to stay off a Largemouth's radar.  Thanks for posting the results. I'm a scientist (environmental) and It's great to get good data, especailly data that supports my hypothesis  ;D  Thanks again

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Approximately what is your ratio of vaseline to anise oil. Just curious on how strong to make it. THANKS

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:09 PM »
where do you find this stuff? in the baking section of a supermarket???

Candy making stores, large supermarket chains....look near the spices or baking goods.  The best stuff I've found is at a local candy making supply store.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:38 AM »
Try a pharmacy counter to get the real deal pure anise oil instead a diluted flavor solution.  Old school drug store instead of a chain. 

Offline killer0612

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:35 AM »
How does the anise oil work for perch and walleye? anyone know?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:39 AM »
https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8262-anise-oil-natural.aspx

Real stuff.  Not just flavoring.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pikefreaky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I love anus oil. I put it on every soft plastic I own.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.