Author Topic: Anise oil is Magic  (Read 53939 times)

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
Re: Anise oil is Magic
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I love anus oil. I put it on every soft plastic I own.
And now I think there is not a person in here that will ask you if they can borrow any soft plastics!  :sick:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Kelly Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I have a bunch of Star Anise at work...just steeped it in oil and low simmer for about 20 minutes, strain and cool.

I used vegetable oil (no flavor) but it's a little thin. I like that vaseline idea to "gum" it up so it sticks!

I gotta say the stuff is STRONG. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it tonight.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Upper Hand Scents is what I use on all my soft plastics when I sell them on ebay. Its $10 per 4 oz, only 2 drops per 25 baits and it will last forever.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline gbullington

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:42 AM »
I found a little bottle of anise oil extract at my local super market. Is that the right stuff or is the extract something different ?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:15 AM »
I have used Anise oil on my salmon lures.  I can't say whether the oil, lure or oil and lure caused the strikes, but one thing is for certain, they sure didn't shy away from it ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Something I like to do in the spring, before the start of the open water season, Is go out and buy some licorice. I make a couple cut's in the wrapper and put it in the bottom of my tacklebox. Don't know if it help's but it sure can't hurt, eh? ;D DIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:14 PM »
For one thing, anise does not stink....it just smells like licorice.  Smells much better than my buddies sleeping bag.  He spilt some "doe in heat" scent on it many years ago and still smells bad.

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:41 PM »
And now I think there is not a person in here that will ask you if they can borrow any soft plastics!  :sick:

Ha  ;D I was thinking the same thing

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:03 PM »
How does the anise oil work for perch and walleye? anyone know?

I went out today for perch and was fishing a 12 foot shelf that drops off to 42 feet.  I dubbed a patch of Caddis Green Rabbit Fur on to the base of a 5mm Glow Fiska and used that as my scent pad then tipped th jig with a minnow through the nose or a wiggler through the butt. Worked well for Perch...Left after 3 hours with 34 nice fish. It's a "go to" spot this time of the year any way, but I was definitely catching fish at a faster rate than my buddies.  Plus, that oil sticks around for a while, other fish may have been holding under me just a tick longer.

I don't know about Walleye.  The only time I really fish for them is in the river, the inland lakes around me (southwest MI, nothwest IN) don't sustain good enough populations to ice fish for them (for me anyway, I need action).  I know guys that do, and a good day for them is one fish, you're a stud if you get two or three in a week.  The DNR has recently stocked many lakes with juvenile walleye so we'll see in a few years. I do use it in the river though and it works well then...I usually dub some yarn on the sinker of my Lindy Rig and soak it down. 

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:09 PM »
I have used Anise oil on my salmon lures.  I can't say whether the oil, lure or oil and lure caused the strikes, but one thing is for certain, they sure didn't shy away from it ;)

I agree %100. I fish the Piere Marquette during spawn and I use it on yarn balls and and streamers and they take well to it.  I have actually watched them check out my streamer and then shy away and avoid it....scent it up with oil and three casts later the same fish is checking it out again and then BAM, fish on.  Same with Steelhead.   

Offline Mahoney

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Think Safety First"
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:34 AM »
You can get pure anise oil from a good trap supply dealer. Beware this is a concentrate oil. And as mentioned about a stinky sleeping bag above it also make that fish rag in your shanty smell better.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:50 AM »
I have used anise extract before but it's usually 60% - 70% alcohol. You need to apply it on something and let the alcohol evaporate before it's put in with your bait or you will kill all of your bait. There are times when fish DON'T want it though so make sure you have some bait with you that's untreated.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:18 PM »
fished for some gills this week and boy they were finicky so i punted and tried some anise oil...my observation (i use an aqua vu) was this : it didnt put them into a feeding frenzy but the takers really took...meaning without the oil they were pecking before taking with the oil they were comin up slow and suckin it right in...could be coincidence? im not gona say i wont leave home without it but itll be in my bucket just in case...hopefully ill get another controlled study before ice out

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:59 PM »
fished for some gills this week and boy they were finicky so i punted and tried some anise oil...my observation (i use an aqua vu) was this : it didnt put them into a feeding frenzy but the takers really took...meaning without the oil they were pecking before taking with the oil they were comin up slow and suckin it right in...could be coincidence? im not gona say i wont leave home without it but itll be in my bucket just in case...hopefully ill get another controlled study before ice out

I see the same thing alot on my aqua vu.  I've seen (I'm sure you have too) crappie inhale and spit out a fly or jig in milliseconds.  It never ceeses to amaze me how fast they can do that. But when I use the oil, the takers seem to hold on long enough to make my spring tip move. Same thing with bluegill, I've seen the takers just inhale it with the scent added to the fly where before they were just feeling it out. Of course it also helps to cover the hook tip with a spike. I have seen the feeding frenzy also, and that's a good time when there's a bull just waiting on screen for your fly to get back down there. Thanks for the feedback, I've been doing well with it and I'm glad someone else put a few more on the ice.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:56 AM »
i make a vegetable oil, salt, and anise mix, to dip my cut baits in for cats.  bites do come faster with it than without, thats for sure. chunk of black liquorish mite work too, never know?

great thread     
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.